Old 01-08-2004, 02:45 AM
JB

Default OASE Aquamax Stepped Hose Adaptor Question

I recently purchased an Oase Aquamax 3700 to use in my new pond. It has a
"stepped hose" adaptor which allows the attachment of 3/4", 1", 1-1/4"
and/or 1-1/2" tubing. Here's my question: I plan on using 1-1/2" inch tubing
to run from the pump to my falls/filter. Can I trim off the other smaller
sized adaptors without causing any problems. Or, I guess a better way to put
my question: Will trimming them back improve my water flow?

TIA
John

Old 01-08-2004, 03:21 AM
RichToyBox

Yes and no. The short distance really doesn't have much effect on head
pressure. Head pressure caused by piping is usually expressed as X feet of
head per hundred feet of pipe, so if the head pressure was 100 per hundred
feet, which is a very large flow through a small pipe, it would translate to
almost nothing in 6 or 8 inches. I don't think it would hurt to cut off the
unused part of the tail.
--
RichToyBox
news

Old 01-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Tom L. La Bron

RichToyBox,

I would tend to differ. I was using a 2,000gph pump
with a 5/8" pipe on it and when I switched to a 1" the
flow increased dramatically. I am not an engineer, but
I do know that decreasing the size of the orifice
increases the speed of the flow, but decreases the
pressure and decreases the amount of flow through the
orifice. I am pretty sure that you are not going to
get the same amount of flow in gph pumping through a
3/4 inch orifice as you would through a 1 1/2 inch
orifice, especially if you are pumping it any distance
around 20 feet.

My suggestion would be to cut it off. If you need a
smaller orifice latter on you can always reduce it
again through reducing nipples.

Tom L.L.
----------------------------------

Old 02-08-2004, 12:58 AM
RichToyBox

Tom,

The reducing nipple is only a few inches long. It allows connection of each
of the sizes of tubing. Due to its short length, I don't think it will have
much effect. If he were to try to pump all that water a long way through
the 3/4 inch, then it would affect the flow.
--
RichToyBox

Old 02-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Tom L. La Bron

RichToyBox,

You might be right because once is through the nipple
it would fill the entire tubing, but the water would
still be affected by the hydrodynamics of the nipple
which might affect it in the long run.

Personally, I would just cut it off and if later I
needed the reduction I would add a reducer to the output.

Tom L.L.