Old 07-08-2004, 04:29 AM
GARAGE OWL

Default need help with algae in pond

Hello, i have a small yard pond about a 100 gallons, i have 2 goldfish
and 3 koi's

i also have a filter box that my pump fits in i have used pond blocks
for algae that treat 250 gallons and the algae keeps growing.
i have cleaned the pond 3 times this year and scrubed it with bleach and
rinsed it good and still it grows. is there anything else i can do.
i thought it wasn't circulating the water enough so i bought a fountain
and put it in and still a big green mess it takes about 3 to 4 weeks and
it is back. thanks

Old 07-08-2004, 07:31 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The problem is, you keep starting the cycle over each time you tear it down
and clean it, and you have too many fish for an outside pond. The koi will
get too big for 100 gallons right quick. Unless you plan to dig a bigger
pond soon, I suggest taking them back to the store and try to cycle the
pond with just the 2 goldfish.

Do you have plants in the pond? Lots of plants are needed to out compete
the algae. Do 10% water change outs once a week, allow fuzz algae to grow
on the sides. If and/or when it turns green, leave it, don't feed fish,
wait it out. The more plants you have the shorter the time will be, with a
enough plants, you may not go green at all. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Pinkpggy

Your main problem is you keep emptying the pond. Each time you empty it, it
has to cycle all over again. Are you using any type of bacteria in your pond?
I myself like PondZyme. There are lots of them out there, so check them out.
Do you have plants in your pond? If you don't I would suggest some plants. At
least one lily, and a couple of other plants and some floating plants also.
The more plants you have, the less alage you get. You need some alage, to help
balance out the pond though. The fish eat the fuzzy stuff that grows on the
sides. Thats good alage. Be patient, and one day you will go out and your
pond will be clear. Keep telling yourself, green is a pretty color. LOL Don't
be harsh on yourself, all first time ponders do exactly what you are doing.
Believe me, I think my hubby and I have made every mistake in the book.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 07-08-2004, 11:51 PM
GARAGE OWL

Hello, the koi's i have in the pond are not big they are about 3 to 4
inches in length. the thing i hate the most is i have a water bell
fountain and the water is green that comes out of it, it just looks
terrible and my pond is preformed plastic
i just thought if i had plants in the pond i would promote more algae i
bought a pond kit that comes with pond blocks and 3 bottles of liquid
and nothing has helped i just figured i wasn't filtering it enough

Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Lane

"GARAGE OWL" wrote in message
Hello, the koi's i have in the pond are not big they are about 3 to 4
inches in length. the thing i hate the most is i have a water bell
fountain and the water is green that comes out of it, it just looks
terrible and my pond is preformed plastic
i just thought if i had plants in the pond i would promote more algae i
bought a pond kit that comes with pond blocks and 3 bottles of liquid
and nothing has helped i just figured i wasn't filtering it enough

Bleach?!?! And your fish survived?

Read the Skippy Filter web site thoroughly, every link.
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm
Then you'll understand about algae, fish, ponds and filters.
Lane

Old 08-08-2004, 12:43 AM
GARAGE OWL

I only bleached it when i cleaned it and the fish were in another
container and i filled and emptied several times before i put them back
in

Old 08-08-2004, 01:55 AM
RichToyBox

Jan forgot to include her algae primer. Of all the remedies in the primer,
the one that is hardest to do and yet the most important is patience,
patience, patience. The water will go green. All water goes green. It
will stay green for some period of time, regardless of other actions (except
UV) and one day you will go to the pond, and it will be clear. Chemicals
don't work, except to give you clear water for a party, but then it will
return within a few days.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 08-08-2004, 02:10 AM
Pinkpggy

Chemicals
don't work, except to give you clear water for a party, but then it will
return within a few days.

I will tell you something we did when we first started a pond 3 years ago. It
was one of the dumbest things we ever did. We used every chemical out there,
or just about anyway. Our lilies didn't bloom, the pads were small, and
believe it or not, we even killed the micro cattails, which are really hard to
kill. Its a wonder our fish survived. But once we quit worrying about green
water, and how much alage there was, and we let "mother nature" do her thing,
our pond flourished. Its hard sometimes to wait, especially if people are
coming over to see your beautiful pond and the water is pea green, and the fish
are barely visable. But waiting is a must. And one day it really will be a
beautiful pond and you can have people over to see it. And then the compliments
start coming in. and you can sit back and sigh and say, we did it. LOL
Old 08-08-2004, 03:21 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:55:19 GMT, "RichToyBox" wrote:

Jan forgot to include her algae primer.

Though I can probably take credit for a tiny bit of the primer, the primer
is the creation of K30a, who should be putting it up here shortly, as she
returns this evening from her OR vacation. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~