Old 10-08-2004, 07:00 AM
Rob

Default tubing

I can't quite figure out the tubing thing: many sites recommend the
black spiral tubing, but in my mind, the ridges will inhibit water
flow compared to smooth tubing. I need 1.25" tubing. Is the
spiraling stuff really the best way to go? It seems expensive...

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
George

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
I can't quite figure out the tubing thing: many sites recommend the
black spiral tubing, but in my mind, the ridges will inhibit water
flow compared to smooth tubing. I need 1.25" tubing. Is the
spiraling stuff really the best way to go? It seems expensive...

Thanks in advance.

The tubing use is clear polyehtylene, smooth tubing. You can buy it at any
hardware store.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Crashj

"George" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
I can't quite figure out the tubing thing: many sites recommend the
black spiral tubing

The tubing use is clear polyehtylene, [sp] smooth tubing.
You can buy it at any hardware store.

The big box stores carry a variety, sure, but won't the cheap stuff collapse
under suction?
The hydrodynamics of tubing have to consider the buildup of plaque or gunque
over time, too. My theory is the turbulence helps clear the walls of stuff
without restricting the flow as much as you might think.
--
Crashj "that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!" Johnson

Old 10-08-2004, 05:45 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The big box stores carry a variety, sure, but won't the cheap stuff collapse
under suction?

Use hard pipe where you can, braided flex tubing, clear with threads within
the rubber/plastic like material, where you have to have flex. Under water
we've had no trouble with build up. Out of the pond if you can't bury it,
cover it with the foam pipe insulation tubes. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 10-08-2004, 05:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default tubing - PS

There is a picture of braided flex tubing on *The Demon Pond Filter* on my
website, we use it to connect the pumps from the pump chamber to the pvc
with camlocks. www.jjspond.us ~ jan

Old 10-08-2004, 05:49 PM
George

"Crashj" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"George" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
I can't quite figure out the tubing thing: many sites recommend the
black spiral tubing

The tubing use is clear polyehtylene, [sp] smooth tubing.
You can buy it at any hardware store.

The big box stores carry a variety, sure, but won't the cheap stuff collapse
under suction?

Sorry about the spelling. No, the wall of the tubing I use it about 3/16 inch
thick, which is thicker than garden hose. You can also buy the same tubing with
polyester reinforcement.

The hydrodynamics of tubing have to consider the buildup of plaque or gunque
over time, too. My theory is the turbulence helps clear the walls of stuff
without restricting the flow as much as you might think.

I've used this tubing for two years with no build up.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:54 PM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
There is a picture of braided flex tubing on *The Demon Pond Filter* on my
website, we use it to connect the pumps from the pump chamber to the pvc
with camlocks. www.jjspond.us ~ jan

The hose you use on the pump looks to be the same material I use to connect my
pre-filter to the main filter.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Scott M.

People seem to be missing the point. The black spiral tubing you buy at
aquarium suppliers is smooth on the inside, so water flow is not restricted.
The tubing itself is thick and can stand strong suction and burial without
collapsing.

Scott M.
Ottawa, Ontario

om...

Old 11-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Rob

OK, let's try to be scientific here, since we're talking about a bunch
of money. If my pump specs recommend 1.25" diameter tubing for the
distance I'm pumping, won't the friction on the tubing ID be great, if
it's got the spiral texture? So, to my mind, smooth tubing would be
much better, assuming I won't need to take any tight bends, so no
kinking.

With smooth tubing, clear PVC from Home Despot at 1.25" is expensive!
I don't need vac tubing at all. I could hard pipe with rigid PVC but
soft would be easier. Has anyone used the black tubing used for drip
irrigation? Seems that should hold the pressure. Maybe I should just
call my pump company hotline (Oase). What does pool tubing go for?

Thanks again. There's a big hole in my ground yawning to be filled
with water!

--Rob
Old 11-08-2004, 02:36 PM
George

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
OK, let's try to be scientific here, since we're talking about a bunch
of money. If my pump specs recommend 1.25" diameter tubing for the
distance I'm pumping, won't the friction on the tubing ID be great, if
it's got the spiral texture? So, to my mind, smooth tubing would be
much better, assuming I won't need to take any tight bends, so no
kinking.

With smooth tubing, clear PVC from Home Despot at 1.25" is expensive!
I don't need vac tubing at all. I could hard pipe with rigid PVC but
soft would be easier. Has anyone used the black tubing used for drip
irrigation? Seems that should hold the pressure. Maybe I should just
call my pump company hotline (Oase). What does pool tubing go for?

Thanks again. There's a big hole in my ground yawning to be filled
with water!

--Rob

What length of tubing do you need? If the tubing is $1.50/foot, and you need 20
feet, that is only about $30 (and that is on the high end, IMHO). If I remember
correctly, I paid about $0.60/foot for the tubing I used, and I bought 10 feet
of it. So I spent $6.00 for the tubing for my pond. I don't see that as a big
expense. What you saw was more likely clear Tygon tubing, which is expensive
because it is pharaceutical grade. I found clear vinyl tubing for about
$0.64/foot at the link below:

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=4&ptid=19&pid=35

So 20 feet of this tubing (1.25" ID) would cost you less than $13.00

Now, if you want to go with high pressure braided vinyl tubing, it does get
expensive. The plumbing store advertises it at $4.81/foot. But of course, that
is food grade tubing. I don't think you need to use that kind of tubing, do
you? I would shop around

tubing blowing off pump k conover Ponds 5 20-02-2004 02:25 PM
tubing for co2 WD Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 18-07-2003 10:16 AM
tubing *muffin* Ponds 7 25-06-2003 05:44 AM
tubing for co2 WD Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 05-06-2003 09:17 AM
Online source for tubing for C02 Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 18-04-2003 02:44 AM