Old 24-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Robin

Default Ants and ponds?

I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Old 25-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Howard

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:43:35 GMT, "Robin"
wrote:

I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Nuke 'em lol

YP

Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on
board who knows how to fly a plane?
-Airplane! (1980)

Old 25-08-2004, 12:26 AM
San Diego Joe

"Robin" wrote:

I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Boil some water and pour it over the ant hill. (you can only hear them
screaming in your mind)

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 25-08-2004, 01:16 AM
Tracy

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Robin" wrote:

I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Boil some water and pour it over the ant hill. (you can only hear them
screaming in your mind)

This should only be done after inserting Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries
into the stereo and turning the amp to 11 on the dial.

Old 25-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Gail Futoran

"Robin" wrote in message
I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of

course
I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

My local organic gardening supplier recommends
a soil drench containing orange oil. I tried it on
some fire ant mounds and it seemed to deal
with the mounds (although others appeared
in other locations eventually). No effect on fish,
but I have a raised pond and was careful to keep
all liquid on the outside and below the level of the
stones capping the pond.

Gail

Old 25-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Roy

wrote:

===I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
===I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?
===
===Robin
===http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami
===

I got them also, (fire ant type) and they seem to love getting under
ther small upper pond. The other area I have problems with around the
pond is my pump box which is basically a water meter or shutoff box
that I house my pump in the ground with. Its always nice and warm and
ants love it.

I have been usiing a white powder that is sold in a red plastic bottle
to kill fire ants, whose name escapes me now since its been ahile
since i used it all up but it was something like Prowl or something,
but anyway it started with a letter P. Its a fine white powder
(cautions you its hazzardous to fish etc) but all it takes is a tiny
teaspoon full on a mound and it starts working imediately. Within 24
hours the mound is dead, not moved, but dead. Then I shovel out the
loose dirt and replace it with new dirt. I dispose of the old dirt on
other mounds sufficient distance from the pond so they are not a
potential source of poison in the pond. As long as I do it when its
not supposed to rain I feel safe, and so far its been working. I do
sprinkle it around inside my pump box which so far has kept the ant
out of it for some time now.........

I tried hot water but it usually does not do much in the line of
killing the ants around here at least not sufficient to kill of a
mound. Graanule type of killers have too much potential to blow around
and get in the water and fish may interpret it as feed, so I don;t use
things like amdro and spectrum etc.......the white powder type stays
where put and all it takes is a little bit for about 24 hours.

Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 25-08-2004, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

You could try boric acid as shown in this link.
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html It can be bought in the
eye care section of the pharmacy.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 25-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:16:18 -0500, Tracy wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Robin" wrote:

I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Boil some water and pour it over the ant hill. (you can only hear them
screaming in your mind)

This should only be done after inserting Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries
into the stereo and turning the amp to 11 on the dial.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Wow, your amp goes to 11?
Mine only goes to 10...I feel so inadequate.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 25-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Crashj

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:44:48 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:16:18 -0500, Tracy wrote:

This should only be done after inserting Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries
into the stereo and turning the amp to 11 on the dial.

Wow, your amp goes to 11?
Mine only goes to 10...I feel so inadequate.

You'll have to speak up, she can't hear you.
--
Crashj
--

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
Fire Ants and ponds Roy Ponds 0 26-08-2004 05:01 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM