Old 01-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Claudia

Default WH turning yellow

WH have been in the waterfall, they were green and are now yellowing, not
dying, just "look" hungry. How does one "feed" pond plants. Figure the
ones in the pond (that are very happy) are getting enough nitrogen, but that
the WH since they are in waterfall, after the filters are not getting
enough? or too many in a small space. I know newbie question. Yes I have
goldfish.

__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

Old 01-09-2004, 07:42 PM
San Diego Joe

"Claudia" wrote:

WH have been in the waterfall, they were green and are now yellowing, not
dying, just "look" hungry. How does one "feed" pond plants. Figure the
ones in the pond (that are very happy) are getting enough nitrogen, but that
the WH since they are in waterfall, after the filters are not getting
enough? or too many in a small space. I know newbie question. Yes I have
goldfish.

__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

Get yourself some potassium sulfate in powder form and put it in your pond
at a rate of about 1 tablespoon per 1,000 gallons of pond water. The stuff
is just fertilizer in the form: 0-0-xx, where xx is the largest number you
can find - about 50-60.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Claudia" wrote in message
WH have been in the waterfall, they were green and are now yellowing, not
dying, just "look" hungry. How does one "feed" pond plants. Figure the
ones in the pond (that are very happy) are getting enough nitrogen, but

that
the WH since they are in waterfall, after the filters are not getting
enough? or too many in a small space. I know newbie question. Yes I

have
goldfish.

Plants need a myriad of balanced nutrients in order to survive. If one or
more of these get out of whack, you can experience yellowing and general
mal-nutrition. In my experienced, yellowing WH was always cured by a nice
dose of Potash, 1 fat tablespoon per thousand gallons every week or so until
green. Check out, http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...sh/default.asp
for more on potash.

Your yellowing may also be due to other minerals lacking. A lack of iron, as
some rec.ponders have found, can also cause yellowing of WH. You can check
out some more on fertilizers here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...rs/default.asp.

BV.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Claudia

what about the goldfish and the cat that uses the pond as his personal
drinking fountain, while "talking" to HIS fish. will the potash "bother"
them. and then do I apply in the biofalls section or let it filter through
the whole pond first. 350 gallons. getting web site together, including
cat "talking" to his fish.

--
Totus Tuus
Claudia (take out no spam to reply)

Old 03-09-2004, 04:16 PM

"Claudia" wrote in message news:IqlZc.140$H26.2@trnddc07...
WH have been in the waterfall, they were green and are now yellowing, not
dying, just "look" hungry. How does one "feed" pond plants. Figure the
ones in the pond (that are very happy) are getting enough nitrogen, but that
the WH since they are in waterfall, after the filters are not getting
enough? or too many in a small space. I know newbie question. Yes I have
goldfish.

__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

This sounds like NO3 deficiency, you can add more fish food and KNO3
if you want, this will add both K+ and NO3. Adding too much food can
potentially overload the system causiung a build up of NH4,
ammonium(not likely is a small waterfall).

WH is a fast grower and do not be suprised after a peroid of growth
they remove all the nutrients.

You can remove some and add back to the pond or leave in the Waterfall
and add KNO3, just do not add anything with urea or NH4/ammonium in
it.
You can add most trace mixes and fleet(or generic) enema for PO4. They
have sodium PO4 as their main ingredient. A few drops should relieve
the PO4 stress.

I'd personally use some fish and food to do the trick and keep a
reasonable amount of WH in the waterfall. Too much WH will eat itself
out of house and home. That's why we removce and export the plants,
sort of like doing a water change, it also exports the fish waste.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 05-09-2004, 05:48 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Check your pH, if it is 8.5 and up the WH can't take up much of anything.
~ jan

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:56:40 GMT, "Claudia" wrote:

WH have been in the waterfall, they were green and are now yellowing, not
dying, just "look" hungry. How does one "feed" pond plants. Figure the
ones in the pond (that are very happy) are getting enough nitrogen, but that
the WH since they are in waterfall, after the filters are not getting
enough? or too many in a small space. I know newbie question. Yes I have
goldfish.

Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Claudia

Thank you for your help - got some Laguna liquid potash and they are
"looking" happier already. ;-)