Old 15-09-2004, 04:07 AM
J.D. Stone

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I am thinking of covering the pomd this year to keep the debris/fallout
down. I have pine trees behind the pond, so I do not have ready access

the back of the pond. I am thinking of an off zxis cover with a long

side,
and short side to aid in implemetation. I have a doodle of the idea

here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover.jpg.

I figured I'd pound some rebar into the ground, slide the PVC over the

bar
and then cover in plastic or landscaping cloth.

Any thoughts?

I just had a thought. There might be an easier way. I have a bottom drain
made from 4'' PVC. I have yet to install diffuser, so I have a 4'' elbow
sticking up into the pond. When I want to drain the VF, I stand a piece of
4'' PVC in the elbow, blocking it off. This pipe sticks up out of the

pond.
Why not do this, drape plastic over the pipe, and anchor the edges around
the pond? Picture here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover2.jpg.

BV

Unless you plan a curved surface to ensure water runoff you will end up with
a trap (sort of like what happens to my boat cover often). Once it starts
collecting water it just gets worse. I am planning on making a hoop house,
similar to what you are planning but side members top help with runoff.
Here's some ideas,
http://gentlewindfarm.com/hoop.html
http://www.members.shaw.ca/renaissan.../hoophouse.htm
http://www.westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

JD
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone

Old 15-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Benign Vanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message =
BV,
=20
This lean-to type structure is what I use, made of 14 foot long 2X4's. =

It
is strong, reusable, drains the snow and rain, and easily covered with =

poly.
The 2nd design has me somewhat worried. If the weight of snow builds =

up the
weight pushing down on the 4 inch pipe, might be sufficient to push it =

right
out the bottom of the pond. A similar design could be used where the =

pipe
is mounted to a concrete paver step of 12 or 18 inch diameter and set =

on the
bottom, distributing the load across a large area of liner.

snip

Good point. I probably don't want to mess with plumbing. So back to the =
lean to idea. I like the idea of wood because it would be easy to staple =
the plastic to it, but I thinking it will be more costly and heavier =
then a PVC implementation. I wonder how much angle you need to keep =
stuff sliding off?

BV.

Old 15-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Heather

I did something very similar last year to hold up the leaf nets. Instead of
string, we used bamboo canes from one arch to the next to give additional
support. This year we plan to cover with vinyl. In Home Depot you can
purchase a long zipper
that is sticky and will apply to the plastic. You then cut up the middle
and you have a doorway. These are used in home reno when an area is blocked
off with plastic.

Just another idea,
Heather

Old 15-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Benign Vanilla

"J.D. Stone" wrote in message =
snip
Unless you plan a curved surface to ensure water runoff you will end =

up with
a trap (sort of like what happens to my boat cover often). Once it =

starts
collecting water it just gets worse. I am planning on making a hoop =

house,
similar to what you are planning but side members top help with =

runoff.
Here's some ideas,
http://gentlewindfarm.com/hoop.html
http://www.members.shaw.ca/renaissan.../hoophouse.htm
http://www.westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

snip

JD, this may be a better and easier to implement idea for me. Thanks.

BV.

Old 15-09-2004, 09:54 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:36:12 -0400, "Heather" wrote:

In Home Depot you can
purchase a long zipper
that is sticky and will apply to the plastic.

Way cool, are they very expensive?

BV, the shade cloth I use for the lily pond, laid flat, never had leaves on
it, though there were leaves all around it. I assume it was just too slick
for them to stick too. Looking at it though I would never had guess. With a
slight angle, should be no problem. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 16-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote:

In Home Depot you can
purchase a long zipper
that is sticky and will apply to the plastic.

Way cool, are they very expensive?

BV, the shade cloth I use for the lily pond, laid flat, never had leaves

on
it, though there were leaves all around it. I assume it was just too slick
for them to stick too. Looking at it though I would never had guess. With

slight angle, should be no problem. ~ jan

We get at least a major snowfall each year, so I want to make sure I can
support or run that snow off. I think I am leaning towards the hoop house
concent. Sounds like it would be the easiest to build, dismantle and store.

BV.

Old 16-09-2004, 09:42 PM
John Bachman

If you use PVC you will probably have to go to 1" for the major hoop
pieces. I tried a 3/4" design last year and the snow collapsed it.
For ease of disassembly I attached the end pieces with hardware. I
bored out the intermediate joints so that they just slid onto the
frame member.

I also have some nice Velcro attachments if you need them. They work
really well and are easy to disassemble and reassemble.

Cripes, the trees are starting to turn. Time to reassemble that
cover.

John

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:45:57 -0400, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

.. .

Covering Pond for Winter MC Ponds 36 10-08-2004 10:06 PM
Please think about covering your pond! Brad Stamm Ponds 0 04-10-2003 04:35 AM
How do I get rid of green covering on pond Gary Roberts United Kingdom 11 06-07-2003 10:51 AM
green covering on pond Tony Bull United Kingdom 0 01-07-2003 05:20 PM
Lexan greenhouse covering? Cherrill Heaton Gardening 5 01-04-2003 01:32 PM