Old 14-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Pond Covering

I am thinking of covering the pomd this year to keep the debris/fallout
down. I have pine trees behind the pond, so I do not have ready access to
the back of the pond. I am thinking of an off zxis cover with a long side,
and short side to aid in implemetation. I have a doodle of the idea here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover.jpg.

I figured I'd pound some rebar into the ground, slide the PVC over the bar
and then cover in plastic or landscaping cloth.

Any thoughts?

BV.

Old 14-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
I am thinking of covering the pomd this year to keep the debris/fallout
down. I have pine trees behind the pond, so I do not have ready access to
the back of the pond. I am thinking of an off zxis cover with a long side,
and short side to aid in implemetation. I have a doodle of the idea here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover.jpg.

I figured I'd pound some rebar into the ground, slide the PVC over the bar
and then cover in plastic or landscaping cloth.

Any thoughts?

I just had a thought. There might be an easier way. I have a bottom drain
made from 4'' PVC. I have yet to install diffuser, so I have a 4'' elbow
sticking up into the pond. When I want to drain the VF, I stand a piece of
4'' PVC in the elbow, blocking it off. This pipe sticks up out of the pond.
Why not do this, drape plastic over the pipe, and anchor the edges around
the pond? Picture here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover2.jpg.

BV

Old 14-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Bill Stock

[...]

Plan B looks simpler.

But I was planning something like Plan A with PVC stubs in the ground. I
would use the stubs for electic frence, holders for sturdy cover or holder
for loose snow cover.

Old 14-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
snip
I just had a thought. There might be an easier way. I have a bottom

drain
made from 4'' PVC. I have yet to install diffuser, so I have a 4'' elbow
sticking up into the pond. When I want to drain the VF, I stand a piece

of
4'' PVC in the elbow, blocking it off. This pipe sticks up out of the

pond.
Why not do this, drape plastic over the pipe, and anchor the edges

around
the pond? Picture here,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover2.jpg.

BV

Plan B looks simpler.

But I was planning something like Plan A with PVC stubs in the ground. I
would use the stubs for electic frence, holders for sturdy cover or holder
for loose snow cover.

I am definately going to try plan B first.

BV.

Old 14-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Ralph

A couple of questions.

What part of the country are you in? Do you get a lot of snow, ice
and cold weather?

What are your pond dimensions?

I live in the central US and I have found that ice and snow will build
up anywhere it can. Keeping the cover from touching the water really
helps to keep the water from freezing. If you ahve a large area you
might want to add more support that is evenly spaced out. My
dimensions are 12 by 20 and I used 1 inch PVC and just set the
structure on the bottom of hte pond then covered it with plastic. I
glued the fittings with silicone so I could take it apart for storage
in the spring. I used a few rocks to secure it but I think I will use
a 1 inch PVC frame and mount it with tent spikes.

Post those details and I will see if I can make a quick drawing.

REB

Old 14-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ralph" wrote in message
A couple of questions.

What part of the country are you in? Do you get a lot of snow, ice
and cold weather?

What are your pond dimensions?

I live in the central US and I have found that ice and snow will build
up anywhere it can. Keeping the cover from touching the water really
helps to keep the water from freezing. If you ahve a large area you
might want to add more support that is evenly spaced out. My
dimensions are 12 by 20 and I used 1 inch PVC and just set the
structure on the bottom of hte pond then covered it with plastic. I
glued the fittings with silicone so I could take it apart for storage
in the spring. I used a few rocks to secure it but I think I will use
a 1 inch PVC frame and mount it with tent spikes.

Post those details and I will see if I can make a quick drawing.

I thought of a flat screen over the top, but worried about it collapsing
under the snowload. That may be the way to go.

BV.

Old 14-09-2004, 09:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

http://www.iheartmypond.com/links/ideas/pondcover.jpg.

Personally I like this design, over the pipe one, as the pipe might
eventually cut thru the material. As Ralph mentioned, think weight of snow.

Material: Look into shade cloth, durable and comes in wide widths.

One thing I saw in a book or magazine recently regarding keeping our
screening off the water, again as Ralph mentioned, insulation properties
when the snow is on it. Use kiddy blow up pool toys, or capped milk jugs,
or large bouncy balls (the ones with air in them not the hard little ones).
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 15-09-2004, 01:28 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

This lean-to type structure is what I use, made of 14 foot long 2X4's. It
is strong, reusable, drains the snow and rain, and easily covered with poly.
The 2nd design has me somewhat worried. If the weight of snow builds up the
weight pushing down on the 4 inch pipe, might be sufficient to push it right
out the bottom of the pond. A similar design could be used where the pipe
is mounted to a concrete paver step of 12 or 18 inch diameter and set on the
bottom, distributing the load across a large area of liner.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 15-09-2004, 04:07 AM
J.D. Stone

[...]

Unless you plan a curved surface to ensure water runoff you will end up with
a trap (sort of like what happens to my boat cover often). Once it starts
collecting water it just gets worse. I am planning on making a hoop house,
similar to what you are planning but side members top help with runoff.
Here's some ideas,
http://gentlewindfarm.com/hoop.html
http://www.members.shaw.ca/renaissan.../hoophouse.htm
http://www.westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

JD
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone

Covering Pond for Winter MC Ponds 36 10-08-2004 10:06 PM
Please think about covering your pond! Brad Stamm Ponds 0 04-10-2003 04:35 AM
How do I get rid of green covering on pond Gary Roberts United Kingdom 11 06-07-2003 10:51 AM
green covering on pond Tony Bull United Kingdom 0 01-07-2003 05:20 PM
Lexan greenhouse covering? Cherrill Heaton Gardening 5 01-04-2003 01:32 PM