Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
MC

Default Covering Pond for Winter

I plan on covering my pond (zone 5, Chicago) this winter with a solar
pool cover (it looks like bubblewrap). The question is how much area
do I need to leave open for gases to escape? If I leave 1" around the
whole pond, is that enough?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"MC" wrote in message
om...
I plan on covering my pond (zone 5, Chicago) this winter with a solar
pool cover (it looks like bubblewrap). The question is how much area
do I need to leave open for gases to escape? If I leave 1" around the
whole pond, is that enough?

Any space that allows the naughty gases to escape will be adequate. My pond
is about 10x13, and my ice hole is only 8-10 inches across depending on the
severity of the day.

BV.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Ka30P

First let me chastise you for writing the
word 'winter' when summer has yet to start
here! ;-)

I think your plan to leave 1" around the whole pond will be okay. But watch
that inch!
You might also, if possible, put a bubbler under the surface of the water at
the edge just for extra protection.

kathy :-)
Old 11-06-2004, 10:09 PM
William Share

"Ka30P" wrote in message

First let me chastise you for writing the
word 'winter' when summer has yet to start
here! ;-)

I think your plan to leave 1" around the whole pond will be okay. But

watch
that inch!
You might also, if possible, put a bubbler under the surface of the water

at
the edge just for extra protection.

Yeah, Winter?

I was thinking about this recently too though. Our neighbour's tree
partially overhangs the pond and drops all kinds of crap in the pond. Right
now it's dropping some kind of little green balls about the size of pin
heads, which clog up the filter nicely. In the fall it drops these small
leaves, which would pass through most of the pond nets I've seen. So I need
something to cover up the pond to keep the fishies clean. The bottom of the
pond was a hell of a mess this spring.

We brought the fish inside last year after a Heron feeding and they're still
here. We didn't want to lose our prize GF to the Heron, as it's about 6"
now. We've threatened to panfry him, but he keeps gobbling.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 AM
RichToyBox

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar cover. I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be necessary to
provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If it is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an inch all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able to have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.
--
RichToyBox
om...

Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 AM

I am in Milwaukee, zone 5 and I cover my pond with plain dispo plastic altho I too
make a lean too above the pond.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/winters/winter.htm
this last year I put in a 500 watt heater for 1600 gallons and it kept the water 50o
or better for all but one month. meaning I could feed the fish lightly and their
immune system was down only about a month. I have a big 12" airstone blowing air
into the pond all winter. the air pump is in my garage.
Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar cover. I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be necessary to
provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If it is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an inch all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able to have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 14-06-2004, 05:06 PM
MC

What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

"RichToyBox" wrote:

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar cover. I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be necessary to
provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If it is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an inch all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able to have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-06-2004, 02:05 AM
RichToyBox

I use the Quick Plug QP20T from Aquatic Eco. I have two of them in my 4000
gallon pond and one in my 2500 gallon pond and am able to keep my ponds near
70 degrees. They really don't start doing any heating to speak of until
January and by the first of March, the sun is high enough to provide pretty
good solar heat. If the only purpose is to keep the pond from freezing
over, I don't know if you would need a heater at all, as long as it is
covered with a lean-to or igloo structure to keep the cold, chilling wind
away from the water, and allow the natural heat of the soil to be captured
without evaporative losses.
--
RichToyBox
om...

"RichToyBox" wrote:

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a

lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar cover.

I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the

enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be necessary

provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If it

is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an inch

all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able to

have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-06-2004, 06:03 PM

p. 361 of aquatic ecosystems catalog, $44 and extra 30 for the controller. but they
got titanium that are cheaper. mine has a separate temperature probe and the heater
is covered to prevent it from getting hit or melting liner down. people in warmer
zones dont understand that our ponds drop below 50o (when koi's immune system goes
down and feeding stops) sometime mid october in zone 5 and doesnt rise over 50o until
mid april. that is 6 months of no immunity and 6 months of no food. it is VERY VERY
hard on koi. you can always order some kind of pool from aquatic ecosystem, or,
build a stud wall pond in the basement and line that with permalon. Ingrid

(MC) wrote:
What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-06-2004, 11:06 PM
MC

70 degrees in the winter? You must be in a fairly warm climate. That
seems a little warm.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:IQrzc.36242$eu.27831@attbi_s02...
I use the Quick Plug QP20T from Aquatic Eco. I have two of them in my 4000
gallon pond and one in my 2500 gallon pond and am able to keep my ponds near
70 degrees. They really don't start doing any heating to speak of until
January and by the first of March, the sun is high enough to provide pretty
good solar heat. If the only purpose is to keep the pond from freezing
over, I don't know if you would need a heater at all, as long as it is
covered with a lean-to or igloo structure to keep the cold, chilling wind
away from the water, and allow the natural heat of the soil to be captured
without evaporative losses.
--
RichToyBox
om...

"RichToyBox" wrote:

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a

lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar cover.

I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the

enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be necessary

provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If it

is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an inch

all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able to

have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 16-06-2004, 02:07 AM
RichToyBox

Zone 7 a/b Richmond Virginia. The cover has had about 1 foot of snow
covering it, or ice covering it, but inside, it is like a sauna. The fish
are fed twice a day during the winter and four times a day during the
summer. It is nice to go out and close the door behind you and spend time
with the fish. I have canna bloom all year, taro growing so big that I have
to divide it twice a year, and except for this winter, have been able to
keep hyacinths and lettuce all winter.
--
RichToyBox
"MC" wrote in message
om...
[...]

om...

"RichToyBox" wrote:

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a

lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar

cover.
I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the

enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be

necessary
provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If

it
is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an

inch
all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able

have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 16-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Nedra

Drat!! I wish I hadn't read about your tropical wintertime pond, Rich
~~ sweltering here in the June heat but still remember how awfully cold
my pond is in January... sigh

Nedra

Zone 7 a/b Richmond Virginia. The cover has had about 1 foot of snow
covering it, or ice covering it, but inside, it is like a sauna. The fish
are fed twice a day during the winter and four times a day during the
summer. It is nice to go out and close the door behind you and spend time
with the fish. I have canna bloom all year, taro growing so big that I

have
to divide it twice a year, and except for this winter, have been able to
keep hyacinths and lettuce all winter.
--
RichToyBox
"MC" wrote in message
om...
[...]

om...

"RichToyBox" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 17-06-2004, 03:09 AM
dkat

I'm responding to the Subject header (my lovely server only keeps messages
for one day or so)... I was just talking with a woman whose neighbor put in
a very expensive pond with very expensive Koi and then over the winter
covered the pond. When he opened it up that spring all of the Koi were
belly up of course (did a great job of trapping in all of the bad gases and
not letting in any oxygen). Just wanted to remind any newbies that fish
need oxygen no matter what the season. I have never known of anyone to put
a cover on a pond period but if you do I assume there must be some type of
venting and oxygenating system for it. For keeping a hole in the ice I used
to use a water heater that you use for outdoor dogs or horses water buckets.
I now use an air stone which I like better since I like the down time of
winter when everything is dormant.

(MC) wrote:
What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 18-06-2004, 05:17 AM
MC

The price range seems to run the gambit- 500W from $40 to $500+.

As I understand it, roughly each Watt will raise 1 gallon of water 10
degrees. So if my cover keeps my 500 gallon pond at a minimum of 40
degrees, a 500W heater will raise it to 50 degrees.

(MC) wrote:
What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 18-06-2004, 05:24 AM
RichToyBox

You may be surprised at the temperature of the pond from 500 watt heater.
First if the pond is protected from evaporation and allowed some solar heat,
it will supply heat to the soil, until it drops to about 55 degrees, and
then it starts being heated by the natural ground temperature, which is a
fairly constant 55 degrees. So the heater should be raising the temperature
from the 55 degree level, and all of your heat losses should be through the
cover.
--
RichToyBox
om...

(MC) wrote:
What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Winter-Summer: - Pond-Winter.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 18-01-2009 10:04 AM
Pond Covering Benign Vanilla Ponds 27 16-09-2004 09:42 PM
Please think about covering your pond! Brad Stamm Ponds 0 04-10-2003 04:35 AM
How do I get rid of green covering on pond Gary Roberts United Kingdom 11 06-07-2003 10:51 AM
green covering on pond Tony Bull United Kingdom 0 01-07-2003 05:20 PM