Old 03-11-2004, 03:46 PM

it could also have affected the "head kidney" from the nares.
I am not sure if it is the inner ear or lateral line that is responsible for fish
position in the water, or both. but they sure do navigate well in a 3D environment
so I can see where it could go out of whack after that kind of infection.
Ingrid

(steve) wrote:
I have a large goldfish who had an out of control infection on top of
his head that covered most of it, this caused him to start to roll a
little or swim askew. Miracurously I saved him by using massive anti
biotics and wound ease, the wound completly healed but now he has a
slight roll when he swims especially when going after food. I figured
the infection messed up his brain or his inner ear (if a goldfish has
one) or maybe he is blind in one eye even though his eyes look fine.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:09 PM

if you dont have a microscope but want a quick and dirty determination
use a plastic credit card. hold the credit card at a 45o angle away from the head and
starting at the gill gently scrape the card down the length of the fish to the tail.

if there is much of an accumulation of gunk on the card, the slime coat is thick due
to toxic water or parasites. lf you scrape a scale off, that is scraping too hard.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/DIAGN...e-fakefish.mpg
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/DIAGN...e-realfish.mpg
here are two quickie mpg files I did a couple years ago or so. Ingrid

"david williams" wrote:

Thanks for all suggestions,
Hi, Who would I get to take a scrape, and what does that involve? The fish
seems ok at the momentbut still performs the occasioanal 'roll.'
"RichToyBox" wrote in message
The rolling sounds like flashing, which is a sign of parasites or water
quality problems. The fish is not comfortable. He is trying to scrape
off the parasites or scratch an itch from something in the water. It is a
good idea to have someone scrape the fish for a microscopic examination to
determine the type of parasite, and it is a good idea to have a complete
set of tests run, pH, and ammonia in particular.
--
RichToyBox

"david williams" wrote in message
Hi I've noticed rcently that one of my koi is performing a sort of roll,
where it swims on its side for just a moment and then rolls. Anyone any
ideas?
thanks
DW

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Im getting rolling eyes about my garden. None4U Edible Gardening 19 10-06-2010 02:16 AM
fixing flats on garden rolling stock rb Lawns 5 08-04-2008 02:38 AM
Tip for pond newbies - at the risk of experienced ponders rolling their eyes ///Owen\\\\\\ Ponds 2 20-07-2005 05:05 PM
Lawn rolling Doug Kanter Gardening 4 06-04-2005 04:59 AM
rolling koi david williams Ponds 0 29-10-2004 03:31 PM