Old 29-10-2004, 03:31 PM
david williams

Default rolling koi

Hi I've noticed rcently that one of my koi is performing a sort of roll,
where it swims on its side for just a moment and then rolls. Anyone any
ideas?
thanks
DW

Old 30-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Crashj

On or about Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:33:07 +0100,
wrote something like:

The fish in my pond go around separate groups. The 10 Koi all sleep/rest
together, but otherwise they split into 2 groups exchanging membership
occasionally. The two grass carp ALWAYS are together, inseparable. They
must be deeply in love or something. The other ordinary GF group together
in two or three groups.

Anyone else noticed this sort of gang behaviour in your ponds?

Yes. My rosey twiddlers hang out in three distinct groups within a 6ft
x 11 ft pond. At one time I estimate I had over 1000 in four separate
gangs. Now one group has gone away and with Fall here, I am down to
about 500 total. Behavior within the groups is slightly different in
terms of feeding and motion.

cue "Tonight" from West Side Story. The Jets and the Sharks. And I
guess, the Twiddlers.
--
Crashj

Old 30-10-2004, 01:10 AM
RichToyBox

The rolling sounds like flashing, which is a sign of parasites or water
quality problems. The fish is not comfortable. He is trying to scrape off
the parasites or scratch an itch from something in the water. It is a good
idea to have someone scrape the fish for a microscopic examination to
determine the type of parasite, and it is a good idea to have a complete set
of tests run, pH, and ammonia in particular.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-10-2004, 03:38 PM

something stuck in mouth or bacterial infection.

"david williams" wrote:

Hi I've noticed rcently that one of my koi is performing a sort of roll,
where it swims on its side for just a moment and then rolls. Anyone any
ideas?
thanks
DW

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-10-2004, 03:39 PM

could be internal damage too.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 30-10-2004, 09:29 PM
steve

"david williams" wrote in message ...
Hi I've noticed rcently that one of my koi is performing a sort of roll,
where it swims on its side for just a moment and then rolls. Anyone any
ideas?
thanks
DW

I have a large goldfish who had an out of control infection on top of
his head that covered most of it, this caused him to start to roll a
little or swim askew. Miracurously I saved him by using massive anti
biotics and wound ease, the wound completly healed but now he has a
slight roll when he swims especially when going after food. I figured
the infection messed up his brain or his inner ear (if a goldfish has
one) or maybe he is blind in one eye even though his eyes look fine.

I guess your fish could have a parasite infection on his scales but I
would have thought that the fish would be scraping himself on objects
or jumping out of the water if that was the case but who knows.

The only other idea is that its swim bladder was slightly messed up by
an infection and now your fish struggles a little when swimming
(hence he rolls a little) at least he has a very stable body design
so he can cope with it easily enough. I use to own tiger barbs and
they have stubby bodies and they have notorious swim bladder problems.
Their fine one day and then their rolling and doing head stands and
not able to swim correctly at all and you have to put them down.
Old 31-10-2004, 10:16 PM
david williams

Thanks for all suggestions,
Hi, Who would I get to take a scrape, and what does that involve? The fish
seems ok at the momentbut still performs the occasioanal 'roll.'

Old 01-11-2004, 01:15 AM
RichToyBox

In the UK, I would contact someone with the BKKS, at one of the local
sections. You can look them up at http://www.bkks.co.uk/ and scroll down on
the left until you find the tab marked sections. Someone within each
section should be able to provide the service or recommend someone that
will. They will be able to provide better guidance on treatments than most
local pond dealers that are just out to make a pound or two.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Ingrid,

I find it interesting that a LFS owner from Alabama is the only person that
talks about neural toxicity. Neither Noga, Wong nor Stoskopf (leaders in
fish disease veterinary information) never speak of this conditionl.

Or is this a case of, you can't figure it out so you give it a cause that no
one will be able to confirm.

What a bunch of horse pucky.

How about giving informaiton from a real scientist with real creditials, not
an ex-LFS owner with no creditials. Oh Yes, Creditials doesn't mean having
passed two courses.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------
wrote in message
Jo Ann also says could be neural toxicity .... how is the fish doing now?

"david williams" wrote:

Hi I've noticed rcently that one of my koi is performing a sort of roll,
where it swims on its side for just a moment and then rolls. Anyone any
ideas?
thanks
DW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 01-11-2004, 05:01 AM
matrix j

Mine roll when it rains..or a massive water change....lasts only one or
two days once the ph goes back in balance.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:01 AM
matrix j

Mine roll when it rains..or a massive water change....lasts only one or
two days once the ph goes back in balance.

Im getting rolling eyes about my garden. None4U Edible Gardening 19 10-06-2010 02:16 AM
fixing flats on garden rolling stock rb Lawns 5 08-04-2008 02:38 AM
Tip for pond newbies - at the risk of experienced ponders rolling their eyes ///Owen\\\\\\ Ponds 2 20-07-2005 05:05 PM
Lawn rolling Doug Kanter Gardening 4 06-04-2005 04:59 AM
rolling koi david williams Ponds 0 29-10-2004 03:31 PM