Old 18-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Ann in Houston

Default seeking proactive suggestions to protect fish

We have not been able to find all the leaks in our liner, so we have ordered
a new one to replace it. That means that the fish will have to be moved and
I am nervous about stressing them to the point that they develop infections.
We haven't had any fish deaths from illness (unless you count restless fin
syndrome, which causes healthy koi to jump) in several years, but my
memories of the cases we had are decidedly unpleasant. We are very attached
to one of our butterfly koi, and I would hate to lose that one, or any
others.
First, I do not want to use a net, but we have never had success herding
them into a tub or bucket. I will likely do it from inside the pond, but I
don't know any other way to improve the "fish rodeo", as we call it here at
our house.
Second, it seems to me that there should be some preventive that we can add
to the pond water to reduce the likelihood of infection. Salt comes to
mind, but I have read that it isn't effective against bacteria. Does it
protect their slime coat? Are antibiotics useful as a method before the
infection takes hold? If so, what type should I use? Can I get it at a
feed store, to reduce the cost? I have about 2200 gallons.
I am open to all suggestions. We will keep the same filter, and it will be
easy to add back some of the pond water. We are on a well, and I have never
had any trouble with really large water changes straight from the hose.

TIA,

Ann

Old 18-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Gale Pearce

We have not been able to find all the leaks in our liner, so we have

ordered
a new one to replace it. That means that the fish will have to be moved

and
I am nervous about stressing them to the point that they develop

infections.
Hi Ann - When my Bro-in-law had to catch the fish in his pond last
year, he found it a lot easier when he pumped the pond way down so he didn't
have to chase them as much and he said it was a lot easier to catch them
with the net and a lot less stress on the fish than the first time a few
years ago (he lost quite a few fish the first time - none the last time)
Gale :~)

Old 18-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Ann in Houston

That means that the fish will have to be moved
and
I am nervous about stressing them to the point that they develop

infections.
Hi Ann - When my Bro-in-law had to catch the fish in his pond last
year, he found it a lot easier when he pumped the pond way down so he

didn't
have to chase them as much and he said it was a lot easier to catch them
with the net and a lot less stress on the fish than the first time a few
years ago (he lost quite a few fish the first time - none the last time)
Gale :~)

Thanks, Gale. The leaks that are prompting the work have taken care of that
little detail. We have done that, before, and it does help. It will also
make it easier to wade in. It has occurred to me that I should use an old
baby enclosure that uses nylon mesh on a hinged frame. Then, I could just
set it down in the water when the fish are all gathered up in one corner, as
they tend to do. Then, I should be able to just scoop them out with the
tub. That's a start. I hope to get more suggestions here.

Old 19-11-2004, 02:03 AM
RichToyBox

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
. com...
First, I do not want to use a net, but we have never had success herding
them into a tub or bucket. I will likely do it from inside the pond, but
don't know any other way to improve the "fish rodeo", as we call it here
at
our house.

I use a sock net to net and handle my fish. It is relatively easy and much
less stressful than the courser nets. Mine is model KS44 from Aquatic Eco.
I use a large flat net to herd them to a location for easy catch. The sock
net prevents most lost scales, torn fins, scratches etc.
Second, it seems to me that there should be some preventive that we can
add
to the pond water to reduce the likelihood of infection. Salt comes to
mind, but I have read that it isn't effective against bacteria. Does it
protect their slime coat?

Salt does improve the slime coat and eases the transition. About 1 pound
per 100 gallons is good. My favorite water treatment is KoiZyme, which
competes with the aeromonas bacteria which cause ulcers. It will allow any
wounds to heal without getting bacterial infections which would then require
antibiotics. It is rather pricey, but I use it routinely. If the fish
scrape themselves on any of the overhanging rocks, plumbing, or otherwise
get a scratch, it prevents it getting infected.

TIA,

Ann

--
RichToyBox