Old 30-11-2004, 10:18 AM
rtk

Default 24 to 1250 watts

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?
If 100 or even only 24 (MarineDepot) works to maintain a hole in the
ice, what's the point of a whopping 1250 if it is not intended to do
more than that?

Ruth Kazez
Old 30-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Derek Broughton

rtk wrote:

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?
If 100 or even only 24 (MarineDepot) works to maintain a hole in the
ice, what's the point of a whopping 1250 if it is not intended to do
more than that?

The LG is probably intended to keep a bird bath completely ice-free. At
least it's intended to keep a significant sized opening. A 24W heater will
probably just keep a tiny opening - but that's all you need. You're just
lucky it blew the fuse before you found out how much it cost...
--
derek

Old 30-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Mark Bannister

24 watts could easily be overwhelmed by a long hard freeze I would
think. At 110 volts 1240 watts is only a little over 11 amps
(1250watts/110 volts), not really all that much. You may have a weak
circuit breaker. A typical 110 volt line would be on a 20-30 amp
breaker (I guess this depends on where you live). If it's an older
system with fuses don't just put a larger fuse in. I'm assuming you're
in the US of course. Amperage would be about have that in most of
Western Europe but it is all relative.

Old 30-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 30 Nov 2004 05:18:17 -0500, rtk wrote
something like:

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?
If 100 or even only 24 (MarineDepot) works to maintain a hole in the
ice, what's the point of a whopping 1250 if it is not intended to do
more than that?
Ruth Kazez

Your complaint is with the Little Giant Marketing department, I guess?
1250 watts will cost a fortune to run over the Winter. All you need is
a little hole to let gasses escape, not a 70*F pond!

--
Crashj

Old 30-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Derek Broughton

Mark Bannister wrote:

24 watts could easily be overwhelmed by a long hard freeze I would
think. At 110 volts 1240 watts is only a little over 11 amps
(1250watts/110 volts), not really all that much. You may have a weak
circuit breaker. A typical 110 volt line would be on a 20-30 amp

Even in the US, I don't believe you're permitted to use more than a 20 amp
breaker on a standard branch circuit. In Canada you may not use more than
15amps.

breaker (I guess this depends on where you live).

Yeah, but the pond's probably a long way from the nearest outlet on a
too-small extension cord. 1250/15 = 83V, which is one heck of a voltage
drop, but perhaps not impossible if the house is on the end of a long rural
run - where voltages tend to fluctuate quite a bit anyway.

So, rtk, the lessons learned a
(1) don't use extension cords (I bet the LG de-icer said that, too - because
I seem to remember somebody actually noting that, here)
(2) when you must use an extension cord, use one that's big enough: for this
job, that means _at least_ 14Gauge.
(3) when you start having electrical problems with your pond, get smart and
call an electrician - it's _so_ much better than burning down the house or
electrocuting your spouse (unless of course you want to electrocute your
spouse)
--
derek

Old 30-11-2004, 07:02 PM
John Hines

rtk wrote:

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?

It depends on what you need to de-ice, a bird bath, or a stock tank for
cattle and horses?

If your a rancher in Minnesota, a 24 watt unit isn't gonna help with the
livestock.

Be careful with a de-icer, I have one of those stock tank heaters, and
if too much area is open, the fish come to the surface, and are food for
birds.

Heaters are resistance units, you can put them on a really big dimmer
switch, to control the heat, as needed.

Old 30-11-2004, 09:39 PM
rtk

Thank you all for suggestions, especially the hint for superfluous
spouse. I returned the new Little Giant *de-icer* and ordered a 100
watt *Thermo-heater*. Now I have to replace the other Little Giant that
I have had in the smaller pond for a few years. I never even looked at
the wattage until this second one blew. No wonder I have such happy
goldfish in the little pond. And no wonder a second one was too much.
No extension cords except the 2 sockets (one double for each pond) is
located about twenty feet from the switch and that's just a few feet
from the house. Nothing else plugged in except one pump in each.

Ruth Kazez

24 to 1250 watts rtk Ponds 0 30-11-2004 10:18 AM
Error in Calculating Watts perl Gal/lit?? Richmond Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
FS: lighting 2x55 watts CF from all-glass gmg909r Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 15-04-2003 03:09 PM
How many watts per gallon should I install? Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 14-04-2003 02:11 PM
FS: lighting 2x55 watts CF from all-glass gmg909r Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-04-2003 09:32 PM