Old 28-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
salt levels in tap water do not exceed 0.1% (at least I havent heard of

it.. mostly
they are in the 0.06% range). For people with sick fish waiting around to

get the
proper test kits is not what I consider prudent. as long as the gills are

OK the
salt can be run up to 0.3% for a couple days, so a mere 1 teaspoon of salt

per 5
gallons is really not going to drive the salt level excessively high. from

3 can be
done safely without getting the water parameters, adding a bit of salt is

safe
without a test kits as long as the gills are healthy red. Ingrid

EMERGENCY
1. check the water parameters: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates
2. do the fish physical
3. change some or all of the water
4. from the water parameters and physical decide on a course of action
5. if there is nothing specific, do the tub to tub method

This is a perfect example of the dangers of salt. Two posts, similar
instructions, but way different numbers, and NEITHER post suggests

checking
the current salinity before adding more salt. Suppose this fish is dieing
from the salinity being high?

My point is that recommending the usage of an additive for a pond or tank is
dangerous without first measuring the level of that additive in the water.
Suppose the OP is a newb, and was told to add a teaspoon of salt to his tank
everyday to help reduce a build up of nuetrinos in is active carbon filter
media? At this point, his fish are dieing because they are living in a
concentration of salt that would kill even the strongest potato chip. Then
they come on here and say my fish looks sick, what should I do? Several
people respond ADD SALT!!!

I am not saying salt has NO place, but like any additive, it needs to be
tempered, and I see very little tempering of salt.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 28-12-2004, 04:37 PM

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/pH-Ammonia.htm
"Ammonia is toxic to aquatic life and toxicity is affected by pond pH.
Ammonia-nitrogen (NH3-N) has a more toxic form at high pH and a less toxic form at
low pH, un-ionized ammonia (NH3) and ionized ammonia (NH4+), respectively. In
addition, ammonia toxicity increases as temperature rises."

A low pH doesnt make ammonia non-toxic, it makes it less toxic. And toxicity is
increased as the pH approaches pH 9.0.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/LimingPondsAquaculture.htm
here is graph comparing the pH shift of hard vs soft water (high vs low alkalinity).
In sufficiently hard water the pH does not approach pH 9.0.

pH crash (down) is usually brought on by really raunchy decaying organic material in
gravel or some really serious toxins and is not going to be "fixed" with ammo lock.
I cant imagine this happening in a pond unless there was no buffer system OR, the
water is soft and acidic to start with. With acidic soft water dolomitic limestone
is needed to provide an adequate and stable alkalinity/hardness. In the case of
sudden pH crash people generally use some baking soda to bring the pH up out of kill
range, add aeration until they can fix the problem (move the fish out and clean the
pond and/or change the water and/or add more limestone to stabilize the hardness).

when there are no test kits the only thing to do when fish are obviously in trouble
is large water changes, or move the fish to fresh water. test kits may not show what
the problem is anyway but waiting until the kits can be obtained may be fatal.

Yes, ammo lock etc works, but I cannot imagine people having that quantity of stuff
(and costly too) on hand to treat large ponds. People with soft water need to have a
stash of dolomitic limestone (and dechlor if city water) on hand to treat the water
during big water changes. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Perhaps, but in a pH crash, the filter quits working and the ammonia is
non-toxic in the lower pH. If the water is changed with a higher pH,
without treating the ammonia it turns it toxic. A large water can be very
stressful. IMO, better to treat the ammonia, do a 20% change, check
buffering adding baking soda if needed and add salt if nitrites are
present.

Prior to ALL that. Check all parameters and report, weigh all options
expressed on usenet. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 28-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Mike Patterson

I'm wondering if anyone has composed a flow chart documenting the
interaction/cause/effect relationships of the different parameters.

I'd think flowcharting would be a very good way to communicate this
stuff.

Mike

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:47:20 GMT, wrote:

ammonia drives the pH up, but the lower the pH the safer the ammonia.
nitrites drive the pH down. salt helps prevent nitrite toxicity.
if either is really high a big water change will remove enough that shifts in pH are
going to be more than offset by the benefits of lower toxins. INgrid

If one does a water change when the ammonia is high, but the pH has crashed
so it is not toxic, doing a water change with pH 7.1 & up, will turn that
ammonia toxic and kill the fish almost post haste. The higher the pH the
faster the kill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 28-12-2004, 05:00 PM

there are some "additives" cannot hurt unless done way to excess. when fish are in
trouble and people dont have the "kits", adding a bit of salt, some dolomitic
limestone (if the water is soft) or aeration cannot hurt. just like there is no
downside to doing water changes. Anybody with really high salts is going to know it.
an extra teaspoon per 5 gallons is not going to be significant.
people with chronic problems with their fish are advised to have a complete kit
including salt test kit. it is rare people have a problem with too high salt, the
only ones I have heard about are those in specific places in the US who have water
softeners AND the Na levels are off scale. Very rare. OK.. maybe somebody building a
pond on the Utah salt flats.
I only recommend moderate salt use 0.1% or less, I do not even recommend 0.3% for
"treatment" which I think is high and excessive and difficult to get out of the pond
fast if the fish are reacting badly.

I dont know what a build up of neutrinos is as it applies to ponds.

INgrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
My point is that recommending the usage of an additive for a pond or tank is
dangerous without first measuring the level of that additive in the water.
Suppose the OP is a newb, and was told to add a teaspoon of salt to his tank
everyday to help reduce a build up of nuetrinos in is active carbon filter
media? At this point, his fish are dieing because they are living in a
concentration of salt that would kill even the strongest potato chip. Then
they come on here and say my fish looks sick, what should I do? Several
people respond ADD SALT!!!

I am not saying salt has NO place, but like any additive, it needs to be
tempered, and I see very little tempering of salt.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 28-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/pH-Ammonia.htm
"Ammonia is toxic to aquatic life and toxicity is affected by pond pH.
Ammonia-nitrogen (NH3-N) has a more toxic form at high pH and a less toxic

form at
low pH, un-ionized ammonia (NH3) and ionized ammonia (NH4+), respectively.

In
addition, ammonia toxicity increases as temperature rises."

A low pH doesnt make ammonia non-toxic, it makes it less toxic. And

toxicity is
increased as the pH approaches pH 9.0.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/LimingPondsAquaculture.htm
here is graph comparing the pH shift of hard vs soft water (high vs low

alkalinity).
In sufficiently hard water the pH does not approach pH 9.0.

Great links, thanks. Very informative. I've added them to the directory on
IHMP, http://ihmp.net/@/r.

[...]

snip

I buy ammo-lock by the gallon every year. I have a leak in the stream of my
pond, and therefore and forced to do water changes. So I dechlor often.
IMHO, every ponder, should keep enough dechlor on hand to do a 50% water
change in the case of a disaster. I've had such a disaster and was happy to
have it on hand.

A few examples of such products:

Kordon Amquel, http://ihmp.net/@/u
Kordon Amquel, http://ihmp.net/@/vu
Pond Amquel, http://ihmp.net/@/us

Old 28-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
there are some "additives" cannot hurt unless done way to excess.

Salt being one of them.

when fish are in
trouble and people dont have the "kits", adding a bit of salt, some

dolomitic
limestone (if the water is soft) or aeration cannot hurt. just like there

is no
downside to doing water changes.

Water changes without proper dechlor can be very dangerous. So again my
point is made. Recommending any sort of treatment without proper supporting
information is dangerous. Telling a newb to do a 50% water change without
mentioning dechlor is as dangerous as saying add some salt.

Anybody with really high salts is going to know it.

I think that is a bad assumption, especially when it is common to see posts
like, "My fish look funny, so I added some salt. Will this help?"

an extra teaspoon per 5 gallons is not going to be significant.

It's not the amount I am concerned with, but the wholesale recommendation to
add it without fore knowledge of conditions.

people with chronic problems with their fish are advised to have a

complete kit
including salt test kit.

I think that is good advice for all pond owners, whether the people have
chronic problems or not.

it is rare people have a problem with too high salt, the
only ones I have heard about are those in specific places in the US who

have water
softeners AND the Na levels are off scale. Very rare. OK.. maybe somebody

building a
pond on the Utah salt flats.
I only recommend moderate salt use 0.1% or less, I do not even recommend

0.3% for
"treatment" which I think is high and excessive and difficult to get out

of the pond
fast if the fish are reacting badly.

I dont know what a build up of neutrinos is as it applies to ponds.

snip

A bit of humor, that's all.

Old 28-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:33:30 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote something like:

Suppose the OP is a newb, and was told to add a teaspoon of salt to his tank
everyday to help reduce a build up of nuetrinos in is active carbon filter
media?

"Everyone knows" that neutrinos only live in the sun. Even "neubies."
So if yours are building up, turn off the lights. Isn't that the
"carbon cycle?"
--
Crashj

Old 29-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

I'm sorry, but I just have to disagree with this one point. Since we have
no idea if the PWP (Person With Problem) even has decent water to exchange
with. Locally we have people take it straight from the irrigation canal
with no idea that the controllers add strong algae periodically.

Did you mean algicide? Anything's possible in this wacky world, but why
anyone would add algae is beyond me (a massive "algae-scrubber" filter,
perhaps?)

Plus, and I restate, if there is ammonia, can make things worst
with a water exchange
of higher pH. At a bare minimum people should have an ammonia tester.

I'm not sure. The math is too hard for this time of day, but intuitively it
seems to me that if your pH is low enough to protect the fish from ammonia
(and as Ingrid points out, it doesn't eliminate the toxicity only lower it)
if you did a 50% water change with even pH 9 water (assuming ammonia free -
this is _not_ necessarily a valid assumption, especially if you're using
chloramined water), you couldn't worsen the ammonia toxicity. However, if
you're using municipal source water, these days, you almost guarantee that
every water change adds ammonia.
--
derek
Old 29-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Derek Broughton

wrote something like:

Suppose the OP is a newb, and was told to add a teaspoon of salt to his
tank everyday to help reduce a build up of nuetrinos in is active carbon
filter media?

"Everyone knows" that neutrinos only live in the sun. Even "neubies."
So if yours are building up, turn off the lights. Isn't that the
"carbon cycle?"

Piffle! Neutrinos live it deep dark holes, that's why they're hunting them
in an old nickel mine in Sudbury, Ontario. When they build up, _they_ turn
on the lights.
--
derek