Old 14-01-2005, 03:34 AM
Nedra

Hi there,
I haven't used clay in the planting pots... will give that a try. I know
the koi do love
clay... I use KoiClay all spring, summer and fall... they literally love it!

Thanks for the help.
Nedra

Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

"southernbc" wrote in message
Hi Nedra,

I saw somewhere the planting pots could be packed with heavy clay which
in turn gives the Koi minerals they need anyways.
Southernbc

Nedra wrote:
Wow! No wonder my ears have been ringing!! LOL ... I really
Really like your Ode to Nedra, BV ;-)

This coming year I hope to try planting some water lilies in the Koi

pond.
What can I plant the lilies in to ensure the koi wont have a wonderful
luncheon?
Got any swell ideas? I mean other than covering the planting tops with
rocks

Thanks those of you who have upheld my badly sagging reputation. Love

y'all
muchly.

Nedra in Missouri

Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

Old 14-01-2005, 03:59 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:34:24 GMT, "Nedra" wrote:

Hi there,
I haven't used clay in the planting pots... will give that a try. I know
the koi do love clay...

And that a good reason NOT to use clay. I use sand and large rock over the
top. Being that you haven't had lilies in the pond for awhile I'd pot up
two lilies and get them going in a safe place so a lot of pads with thick
stocks are growing vigorously. At this point put the plants in and stand
guard for the next couple hours. Every time the fish go over and check it
out, scare them off with a skimmer net.

Just as there is safety in a school for fish, there is danger for the
plants. A new plant and a school of fish that get frisky will take down a
plant in no time. If they discover the plant over time, one by one, and get
use to it without be allowed to think "new toy". They will "usually" leave
it away. I use "usually" only as a disclaimer as this method has always
worked for me, YMMV. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 14-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Nedra

Thanks for the advice Jan. My guys and gals swim around in packs of 5 or 6
(total koi
# of Koi is 14). I've never seen them attack the lilies - one at a time.
I'll think this over though ~ afraid I'm not good at disciplining the my
"kids"

Nedra

Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

Old 14-01-2005, 06:45 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Carol,

How do you secure the netting to the lily pots?
All ideas are welcome

========================
I use that green plastic covered garden wire that comes on a roll to tie
tomato plants to stakes. It comes with a snip to cut it to the lengths you
want. I buy it at Wally World's garden center. I take a large piece of
leftover netting and set the plant on it, then just sort of bag it up and
use the wire to hold it closed. The closed part being offset to the plant
grows through the net. On large lily pots I cut a piece to cover the top
only and use the same wire to secure it around the edge, about 8 pieces of
the wire. This wire will last over a year underwater.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway."

Old 14-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Wow! No wonder my ears have been ringing!! LOL ... I really
Really like your Ode to Nedra, BV ;-)

This coming year I hope to try planting some water lilies in the Koi pond.
What can I plant the lilies in to ensure the koi wont have a wonderful
luncheon?
Got any swell ideas? I mean other than covering the planting tops with
rocks

Thanks those of you who have upheld my badly sagging reputation. Love

y'all
muchly.

I first planted my lillies in mud with rocks on top. They went crazy. Last
year I tried just rocks and they were pathetic. This year I am going back to
the mud with rock covering. All of my plants are planted in waste baskets
that have holes in the sides, and bottom. My Koi have never disturbed them.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 14-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Carol,

How do you secure the netting to the lily pots?
All ideas are welcome

========================
I use that green plastic covered garden wire that comes on a roll to tie
tomato plants to stakes. It comes with a snip to cut it to the lengths

you
want. I buy it at Wally World's garden center. I take a large piece of
leftover netting and set the plant on it, then just sort of bag it up and
use the wire to hold it closed. The closed part being offset to the plant
grows through the net. On large lily pots I cut a piece to cover the top
only and use the same wire to secure it around the edge, about 8 pieces of
the wire. This wire will last over a year underwater.

Hmm, I just had an idea for a VF experiment.

My Iris overgrow their pots/baskets every year, and turn into a tangle mass
of roots. I plant them only in rock. So, how about instead of using baskets,
use mesh bags, filled with rock. Sit them in the VF. They'll sit more level
then the pots, and I expect will thrive.

Off to the mesh bag store for me...

Old 14-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Nedra

Thanks, Carol. I think I'll run on down to Walmart and see if they have it
in yet.
Your instructions are great!

Nedra

Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

Old 14-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Nedra

My lilies were first planted in the large sized nursery pots. With lots of
rocks on top.
The Koi were still pretty young .... they had a blast! I'd see a lily
traverseing the top
of the pond. A koi or two were hauling it all over. I got such a kick out
of watching
them play with the lilies... then it hit me that the reason the lilies were
disappearing is
because the koi were Eating Them. So I guess you could say I've always had
problem with lily-eating Koi. Must be an individual koi thing?

Nedra
Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message