Old 01-02-2003, 05:44 AM
David H Wagner

Default Pond liner bubbling up

When I came home tonight, I found that my pond liner is bubbling
up-bubbles big enough to lift up my lily pots. Is this water underneath
the liner, or air? What do I do?

Thanks in advance,
David Wagner
Old 01-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Nedra

My pond did that the wet spring of 1995. I hauled in
load after load of huge pine bark and built up the sides
of the pond about 5 inches with it. Then , right in the middle of a
thunderstorm I dug out a trench about 3 feet away from the pond. Put 4"
black corrugated pipe in and
covered it up with large gravel. That seems to have
been the cure for my pond. As for the bubbles I just
let the water drain out naturally. Took a month or more

Good Luck!

Nedra.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Howard

If you go to the archives for january (perhaps december) you will find quite
a few msgs on the subject.

Unless it has rained I would think about a leak in the plumbing that runs
outside or under the pond. That is if you have any. Nedra's fix will
work for any ground or surface runoff problems.

Howard

Old 02-02-2003, 05:41 AM
David Wagner

I believe the problem was a hole in the liner at the lip of the pond. My
fountain had been raining on the area near the hole, and enough water must
have got under the liner to cause the bubbling. I patched the hole, and
refilled the pond--the bubbling subsided but has not completely gone
away--and now I am just watching to see what happens.

Thanks for your responses,
David Wagner

Old 06-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Ted

I live where I have nothing but clay soil. Regular ground water does not
cause my problem as the pond sides slope away and the waters runs off
naturally. But I have had a couple of episodes where my top pond has
overflowed and right next to the only spot that runs towards the liner. The
first time I pulled up rock and shop vac'd it out. Now I just leave it and
in about a week or two most of it is absorbed. The rest takes a couple more
weeks. I think this spring I am going to put some heavy large rocks on the
bottom around the edge of the pond. I think that may help to keep it from
floating up if I have another Ooops!

Old 06-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Howard

All of what you say will help. The big thing is to keep the water from
getting
the liner in the first place. If you have enough liner dig a shallow trench
and
bury the edge prior to covering it with whatever you use.

Howard

news