Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Help with funky fish

I have a small pond in front of my house that is overstocked. Just
going to admit that up front. I live in SoCal, the valley. Nights are
45 to 50 normally. We have had a lot of rain this week.

So, with all of that in mind, I looked into my pond this evening,
checking everyone out cause I had been on holiday and I saw something
that disturbed me.

I have a bunch (ton) of mosquito fish (bad purchase) and a number of
them have white spots all over. None seem to be hurting, no reaction,
but I am worried something is about to go south in the pond. the big
Gold Fish and Koi are looking very, very healthy but I am worried
something is going down.

Anyone have any advice, and if needed a cure?

Thanks

Carl

Oh.... pictures of the pond from 2 years ago.

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com/Koi

cap the K...

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 12-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
I have a small pond in front of my house that is overstocked. Just
going to admit that up front. I live in SoCal, the valley. Nights are
45 to 50 normally. We have had a lot of rain this week.

So, with all of that in mind, I looked into my pond this evening,
checking everyone out cause I had been on holiday and I saw something
that disturbed me.

I have a bunch (ton) of mosquito fish (bad purchase) and a number of
them have white spots all over. None seem to be hurting, no reaction,
but I am worried something is about to go south in the pond. the big
Gold Fish and Koi are looking very, very healthy but I am worried
something is going down.

Anyone have any advice, and if needed a cure?

snip

White spots? Sounds like Ich. If so, here are some products at PetSmart that
may be able to help diagnose (read the labels) and if it is Ich, help cure
it...

Kordon Prevent Ich Fish Disease Inhibitor and Preventative,
http://ihmp.net/@/m
Kordon Ich Inhibitor, http://ihmp.net/@/wf
Kordon Aquarium Rid Ich Preventative, http://ihmp.net/@/om

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 12-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Nedra Sucks

See what I mean, now your probably sending this person for ich
treatment without even seeing what those white spots
are.........pityfull source of info , and you say I don;t help...At
east I don't diagmnose without a proper scope and seeing the problem
and a more detailed description on the probems.
Keep this crap up BV and I wil have to kill file you!

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:23:00 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

===
==="Carl Beyer" wrote in message
=== I have a small pond in front of my house that is overstocked. Just
=== going to admit that up front. I live in SoCal, the valley. Nights are
=== 45 to 50 normally. We have had a lot of rain this week.
===
=== So, with all of that in mind, I looked into my pond this evening,
=== checking everyone out cause I had been on holiday and I saw something
=== that disturbed me.
===
=== I have a bunch (ton) of mosquito fish (bad purchase) and a number of
=== them have white spots all over. None seem to be hurting, no reaction,
=== but I am worried something is about to go south in the pond. the big
=== Gold Fish and Koi are looking very, very healthy but I am worried
=== something is going down.
===
=== Anyone have any advice, and if needed a cure?
===snip
===
===White spots? Sounds like Ich. If so, here are some products at PetSmart that
===may be able to help diagnose (read the labels) and if it is Ich, help cure
===it...
===
===Kordon Prevent Ich Fish Disease Inhibitor and Preventative,
===http://ihmp.net/@/m
===Kordon Ich Inhibitor, http://ihmp.net/@/wf
===Kordon Aquarium Rid Ich Preventative, http://ihmp.net/@/om

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old 12-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
See what I mean, now your probably sending this person for ich
treatment without even seeing what those white spots
are.........pityfull source of info , and you say I don;t help...At
east I don't diagmnose without a proper scope and seeing the problem
and a more detailed description on the probems.
Keep this crap up BV and I wil have to kill file you!

Read my post again. I said it sounds like. And then I suggested some
products that may provide diagnosis information on the bottles.

And by all means, please do killfile me. I am quite happy with that
response.

Old 14-01-2005, 01:09 PM
George

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
See what I mean, now your probably sending this person for ich
treatment without even seeing what those white spots
are.........pityfull source of info , and you say I don;t help...At
east I don't diagmnose without a proper scope and seeing the problem
and a more detailed description on the probems.
Keep this crap up BV and I wil have to kill file you!

Read my post again. I said it sounds like. And then I suggested some
products that may provide diagnosis information on the bottles.

And by all means, please do killfile me. I am quite happy with that
response.

Sounds like ick to me too. And if it is, and he has an overstocked pond, he is
going to have a lot of fun treating it. If he can isolate them and treat them
out of the pond that would be best. Ick will die if they don't have a host to
live off of, so the pond will clear itself of the parasites after a couple of
weeks if there are no fish in it to complete the life cycle. Having said that,
few ponders have the facilities to remove all of their fish at once and treat
them separately, so he is going to have to treat the entire pond. Fortunately,
the remedies for ick are well known, and relatively inexpensive. It also helps
to increase the water temperature, but that is not easy to do in a pond, so the
chemical treatment will likley have tobe done for longer than woul be necessary
if the temperature was raised. One product I know of that is effective in ponds
(and that works well without having to raise the water temperature) is ickguard.
Ick Guard quickly and effectively clears ick (white spot) without raising the
temperature of the water. It also guards against secondary infections as a
result of wounds left by the ick parasite. A 17 oz bottle treats 960 gallons of
water and costs about $9.00. The instructions say to use 1 tsp per 10 gallons.
1 cup treats 480 gallons. After 24 hours change 25% of the water and dosage may
be repeated. Do not overdose. Clean measuring device before each use. Use 1/2
strength on weak, small or scaleless fish. This product will color the water.

Old 14-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Carl Beyer

In article HwPFd.6218$eT5.2281@attbi_s51,
"George" wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the answers. Taking a fish to the fish store for a
quick look, but the problem seems to be dissapearing with the end of the
rains...

And as for the bacteria / virus thing.. thanks for the medical lesson...

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 15-01-2005, 12:28 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'll mention it, even though I know Roy is gonna make fun of it.

SALT works great on ick even at cold temps. 0.3%. I had a stock tank last
winter full of fantail babies, most moors. I told hubby to give it only 30
minutes max with the stock tank heater if it began to ice up. Of course he
turned it on and forgot to turn it off, and with the cheap wonky
thermostats it warmed the water up into the 40s and that night we had a
very cold snap and the next day I had black moors with tiny white polka-
dots.s I salted and all but one little guy came out of it fine. The
little guy needed to come inside and be heated up and he's be inside ever
since. He/she's got really long fins & tails and just would not do well
outside, imo, anyway. ~ jan

Okay Roy, give it your best shot. ;o)

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 14-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Crashj

On or about Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:22:43 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote something like:

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
. ..

TRIM CRAP

TRIM RESPONSE
The poser " is using forged headers. Do not
respond, just forward the email to earthlink, where it came from.
--
Crashj

Old 14-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Roy

Ok clown pllease describe what a forged header is......I can have
anything I darn well please as a emai address or user name. Earthlink
makes no requirement for any bona fide info when utilizing anything
other than your account on their net, what you use for a user name or
email addy or anything else is up to the person....And here I thought
you were the so caled wizzard of posting and requirements on the
internet.........just shows you how you can al pretend to be someone
your really not...........maybe tomorrow I will log in as a
Doctor..........or maybe a big shot lawyer and give free legal
advice..........or maybe even a so caled reguar on rec.ponds and feed
folks a line of malarky like you do! Kill file me dude, go for
it.......

Maybe you need to try sending and emai to nedrasucks@msn and see if it
goes thorugh.........may very well surprise you!

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:58:38 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

===On or about Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:22:43 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote something like:
===
===
==="Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
. net...
===TRIM CRAP
===

Old 15-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Benign Vanilla

wrote something like:

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
. ..

TRIM CRAP

TRIM RESPONSE
The poser " is using forged headers. Do not
respond, just forward the email to earthlink, where it came from.

They don't care...just ignore him, and he'll troll himself over to another
group.

Old 14-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Crashj

wrote something like:

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
. ..

TRIM CRAP

TRIM RESPONSE
The poser " is using forged headers. Do not
respond, just forward the email to earthlink, where it came from.
--
Crashj

Heads Up: 'Life on Mars' SP Is Funky Dr. Personality Ponds 0 26-12-2007 01:55 AM
funky looking protocorm nigel savage Orchids 4 21-12-2005 11:50 PM
Help with funky fish Carl Beyer Ponds 0 12-01-2005 03:52 PM
funky garden lighting spywho United Kingdom 5 02-06-2004 12:24 AM
Funky Fungus Don S. North Carolina 4 03-05-2003 05:44 PM