Old 12-01-2005, 06:54 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla Pudding" wrote in message
Say what dude.......when you start paying my ISP fee's maybe I will
take some advice from you. Until then I think not.

=========== Joann add snipped.

Just curious, but why are you still advertising for Joann and the people who
bought her business? Are you aware it's being added to each of your posts?
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway."

Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Cichlidiot

Carl Beyer wrote:
I have a small pond in front of my house that is overstocked. Just
going to admit that up front. I live in SoCal, the valley. Nights are
45 to 50 normally. We have had a lot of rain this week.

So, with all of that in mind, I looked into my pond this evening,
checking everyone out cause I had been on holiday and I saw something
that disturbed me.

I have a bunch (ton) of mosquito fish (bad purchase) and a number of
them have white spots all over. None seem to be hurting, no reaction,
but I am worried something is about to go south in the pond. the big
Gold Fish and Koi are looking very, very healthy but I am worried
something is going down.

Anyone have any advice, and if needed a cure?

First off, have you taken any measurements of the water parameters? With
the volume of rain received all over CA (and man it's been a bear hasn't
it?) this could have wildly changed the pH, KH, GH, etc in your pond. This
would stress the fish which would leave them vulnerable to disease. As for
those theorizing ich, ich does not come out of nowhere, so if it really is
ich, you've probably had the parasites present in the pond (ich can
survive at low levels in the gills of otherwise healthy appearing fish
according to what I've read) unless these mosquito fish were added
recently. The potentially wild changes in water parameters from all the
rain could have stressed the fish causing such a latent infection to
explode into fishy epidemic proportions.

Which brings us to the "what to do" point. Well, first off one needs to
positively identify what is going on. Pictures would certainly help in
that regards as written word is by nature somewhat nebulous and
subjective. For example, your concept of "spot" might be completely
different than mine. Let's focus on ich since others have suggested in. In
ich, the spots are about the size of a grain of salt and randomly
distributed over the body of the fish. The fish might also show other
signs such as flashing and rubbing or clamped fins. Fungal issues will
have much larger spots, usually with a cottony appearance. Velvet
infection will be much finer spots (sugar sized or smaller) and tend to be
most noticed on the head, as well as clustered together in groups/patches.
Velvet can also have a bit of a yellowish look to it under certain light.
Bacterial and/or slime coat problems can also present as large spots of
white/opaque color randomly over the body. These will often have a more
slimey appearance when compared to the cottony look of fungal infections.

Once the problem is identified, then you need to determine whether
medication is necessary or if it will just be sufficient to remedy any
water problems caused by the rain. This is often a personal call. I
personally tend to go for clean water and/or medicated food along with a
wait and see approach, but others prefer putting the affected fish in a
holding tank and medicating the water there.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Roy

Finally, someone besides Windsong with a little common sense that is
not shooting in the dark and shotgun treating a problem.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:02:39 +0000 (UTC), Cichlidiot
wrote:

===Carl Beyer wrote:
=== I have a small pond in front of my house that is overstocked. Just
=== going to admit that up front. I live in SoCal, the valley. Nights are
=== 45 to 50 normally. We have had a lot of rain this week.
===
[...]

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Carl Beyer

Thanks to those that offered advice. Didn't really want to get into a
flame war.... just wanted the advice.

That said, to those of you who would like a picture I would be happy to
comply if I could just get them to stop swimming ;-) You guys do ask
for a lot. I will try to get a picture up to confirm.

I put in some Melafix and some kanacyn soaked food immediately.

There has been no new fish.... just this crazy rain (crazy for us, a
light sprinkle for the rest of the world).

Glad to continue taking advice...

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 12-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Gale Pearce

Actually, "Nedra Sucks", or "Roy" - (whoever) - if you are the same person
who used to post here and contribute to the group, RELAX - you were a great
person to read your thoughts on whatever was being posted here - IF you are
a troll, using an old friend's name, Get a Life and find another NG to
bother - we like the old shoe feel, along with the newbies
Gale :~)

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:52:18 -0800, Carl Beyer
wrote:

[...]

===Oh.... pictures of the pond from 2 years ago.
===
===http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com/Koi
===
===cap the K...

i have news for you dude, your pond is aready heading south.
Just stay tuned for the salt, etc baths and canned replies al without
knowing more. Want the best answer, go to Koiphen forums or koivet

koiphen.com
koivet.com

Thats where the serious folks and professionals hang and will be happy
to help you with "Correct" info.......instead of a bunch of couch /
keyboard diagnosticians.

Old 13-01-2005, 03:21 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
Thanks to those that offered advice. Didn't really want to get into a
flame war.... just wanted the advice.

That said, to those of you who would like a picture I would be happy to
comply if I could just get them to stop swimming ;-) You guys do ask
for a lot. I will try to get a picture up to confirm.

I put in some Melafix and some kanacyn soaked etc.

========================
Please don't use antibiotics unless you know they are needed. Their
overuse had created many bacteria that are now resistant and more become
resistant daily. May I suggest you cut back the number of fish in this
overcrowded pond and then do a large water change? The rain may have
drastically changed the PH from what they are used to,... from your hose.
Overcrowding is a disaster just waiting to happen, rain or no rain.

Old 14-01-2005, 01:09 PM
George

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Nedra Sucks" wrote in message
See what I mean, now your probably sending this person for ich
treatment without even seeing what those white spots
are.........pityfull source of info , and you say I don;t help...At
east I don't diagmnose without a proper scope and seeing the problem
and a more detailed description on the probems.
Keep this crap up BV and I wil have to kill file you!

Read my post again. I said it sounds like. And then I suggested some
products that may provide diagnosis information on the bottles.

And by all means, please do killfile me. I am quite happy with that
response.

Sounds like ick to me too. And if it is, and he has an overstocked pond, he is
going to have a lot of fun treating it. If he can isolate them and treat them
out of the pond that would be best. Ick will die if they don't have a host to
live off of, so the pond will clear itself of the parasites after a couple of
weeks if there are no fish in it to complete the life cycle. Having said that,
few ponders have the facilities to remove all of their fish at once and treat
them separately, so he is going to have to treat the entire pond. Fortunately,
the remedies for ick are well known, and relatively inexpensive. It also helps
to increase the water temperature, but that is not easy to do in a pond, so the
chemical treatment will likley have tobe done for longer than woul be necessary
if the temperature was raised. One product I know of that is effective in ponds
(and that works well without having to raise the water temperature) is ickguard.
Ick Guard quickly and effectively clears ick (white spot) without raising the
temperature of the water. It also guards against secondary infections as a
result of wounds left by the ick parasite. A 17 oz bottle treats 960 gallons of
water and costs about $9.00. The instructions say to use 1 tsp per 10 gallons.
1 cup treats 480 gallons. After 24 hours change 25% of the water and dosage may
be repeated. Do not overdose. Clean measuring device before each use. Use 1/2
strength on weak, small or scaleless fish. This product will color the water.

Old 14-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Carl Beyer

In article HwPFd.6218$eT5.2281@attbi_s51,
"George" wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the answers. Taking a fish to the fish store for a
quick look, but the problem seems to be dissapearing with the end of the
rains...

And as for the bacteria / virus thing.. thanks for the medical lesson...

Old 14-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Carl Beyer

"George" wrote:

[...]

Heads Up: 'Life on Mars' SP Is Funky Dr. Personality Ponds 0 26-12-2007 01:55 AM
funky looking protocorm nigel savage Orchids 4 21-12-2005 11:50 PM
Help with funky fish Carl Beyer Ponds 0 12-01-2005 03:52 PM
funky garden lighting spywho United Kingdom 5 02-06-2004 12:24 AM
Funky Fungus Don S. North Carolina 4 03-05-2003 05:44 PM