Old 02-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Sue Walsh

Default two ponds together?

Last month we finished putting in my pond and waterfall and stream.
Now my husband who didn't even want a pond at all is wanting to put in
a second one.

My question is:

Is it possible to put a second waterfall off the same head pool into a
smaller pond and then connect by hoses and pump the two ponds
together. This would mean the two ponds use the same water. The
sequence would be water pumped from the big pond up to the head pool
which would flow over on two sides one down the water fall to the
stream and fall back into the big pond and the second down a waterfall
into the small pond. The small pond would then have a pump which
pumped water into the big pond. Could this work or would there be
overflow issues?

Any thoughts or ideas on this idea.

Sue W
Old 04-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Sue Walsh

My ponds would be all on same level ground and there would be a garden
in between the two ponds, so overflow in that sense is not possible.
This is why I was considering using the second pump and hoses(burried
in garden) to move the water from the smaller pond into the larger
pond to complete the circle. would this work? Would I not be causing
any major problems with overflow of the smaller pond?

Sue W

b not@ real.not wrote in message . ..
It can be done.
I have two ponds. One big and one small. They are on different level.
I use only one pump to draw water from the smaller pond to the
waterfalls above the big pond. The overflow from the big pond to the
smaller one is designed that way that as soon as the water level goes
up it overflows.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Tommy

I'm just an observer here(don't have a pond of my own yet), but I have an
idea that may work.

Could you run a conduit (say 1 1/2" to 2") ungerground that is connected to
both ponds. The conduit would be open at both end so you could let the laws
of physics keep the two ponds at the same level.

You would of course want to have some sort of filter cage ot keep debris
from clogging the conduit, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Good Luck, Tommy

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
My ponds would be all on same level ground and there would be a garden
in between the two ponds, so overflow in that sense is not possible.
This is why I was considering using the second pump and hoses(burried
in garden) to move the water from the smaller pond into the larger
pond to complete the circle. would this work? Would I not be causing
any major problems with overflow of the smaller pond?

Sue W

. ..

Old 04-02-2003, 10:53 PM
K30a

Tommy wrote I'm just an observer here(don't have a pond of my own yet),

What?! Nobody should be without a pond!
The 'yet' is what gives me hope! ;-)

k30a
Old 05-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Tommy

Yeah, we are in a house right now that we know isn't going to be our long
term homestead. Our next home we are going to buy property and build. And
yes, there will be more than one pond outside along with a few larger
built-in aquariums inside. I honestly don't think I will be able to wait
that long though. I'll probably put in a smaller pond garden in the place
I'm at now...

Old 05-02-2003, 03:20 PM
K30a

Tommy wrote I'll probably put in a smaller pond garden in the place
I'm at now...

:-)
I had a pond in an old sandbox for a while. Our pond took a looong time to
build as there are
boulders in our soil!

k30a
Old 05-02-2003, 03:23 PM
RichToyBox

Sue,

As mentioned below, use a pipe with bulkhead fittings from one pond to the
other and let gravity carry water from one pond to the other. Due to the
ponds being at the same level, use the largest pipe that you can. The water
flowing into the one pond will raise its water level, while the pump in the
other pond will lower its water level. This difference in water levels will
be the cause of the water flow through the pipe. I would think that it
would take 3 or 4 inch pipe to keep the water levels close to the same.
--
RichToyBox