Old 21-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Richard K

But I assume you like when they come up behind you huh Windbag?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:00:40 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

===
==="San Diego Joe" wrote in message
===news:1109010282.8f40b32416a08ce5dbb243328e28 ffc9@teranews...
=== I have a motion activated sprinkler called a scarecrow. I haven't had a
=== problem since (knock on wood). I may get a second one this year for better
=== coverage.
=================
===As long as the herons don't learn to come up BEHIND the sprinkler, you're in
===good shape.

Old 22-02-2005, 01:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:00:40 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

==============
As long as the herons don't learn to come up BEHIND the sprinkler, you're in
good shape.

You lost me. I walk up from behind my sprinkler, but I still have to get in
front of it to get to the pond. If people read the directions and have the
motion sensor pointed at the pond, I would think they would be fine. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 22-02-2005, 03:00 AM
~ Windsong ~

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:00:40 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

==============
As long as the herons don't learn to come up BEHIND the sprinkler, you're

in
good shape.

You lost me. I walk up from behind my sprinkler, but I still have to get

in
front of it to get to the pond. If people read the directions and have the
motion sensor pointed at the pond, I would think they would be fine. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

===============================
She showed me a pic of the heron avoiding the spray by coming up behind the
thing, and fishing next to it. The herons learned to avoid the spray. I
can't explain it any better.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 22-02-2005, 05:47 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

===============================
She showed me a pic of the heron avoiding the spray by coming up behind the
thing, and fishing next to it. The herons learned to avoid the spray. I
can't explain it any better.

Ooooh, she had it too close to the pond in that case. Kind of like that
heron video BV has a link to on his website, where the fish string is too
close to the pond and the heron just snaked it's head under. Gulp!
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 22-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Dragon Koi

I trained my dog to kill them. If you're not good at dog training a rifle
that fires 22 shorts is sub-sonic.

--
Try to beat the DragonKoi at Poker Champs...
https://secure.pokerchamps.com/poker...code=DRAGONKOI

For more information on Poker Champs go he
http://www.pokerchamps.com/
Remember to enter referer code DRAGONKOI when you join!

Old 22-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I live in the UK. Last year I had a visit from a heron and he cleaned out
all my goldfish.
so since then I have rebuilt my pond and made it bigger so I can switch

over
this year to Jap Koi Carp, I have put in a larger better filtration system
and pump, But my only fear is that dammed Heron, so if any one can sagest

way to stop his visits this year especially after I restock with koi I

would
be grateful.

Many ponders claim a motion activated sprinkler can help. Here is an example
of one on Amazon.com, http://ihmp.net/@/br.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 22-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Hal" wrote in message
snip
The short version, clutter up the landing area. A heron can have a
6' wing span and can land and walk over to the pond, but won't land in
an area where something will touch it's wings. Some have used
overhead wires. I (With my wife's help.) turned my yard into a
junkyard of ornamental windmill, flags, wind chimes and flower pot
holders with a few plants like 6' dwarf maples and Miss Huff lantana.

This is my most vulnerable time of the year, because I just cut the
lantana brush left from last year's growth, but I suspect the taller
structures like the gazebo and my neighbors 10' fence (basketball
half-court) adjacent to the lantana bed discourage the heron from
landing in that corner of our small yard.

My Heron landed only on our swingset. We have not yet seen him on the
ground. I am ready and waiting to attack him with my sonic repulsion
weapons, if neccessary.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com
http://www.iheartmypond.com/animals/birds/heron
I'll be leaning on the bus stop post.

Old 22-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

That video is here, http://www.iheartmypond.com/animals/birds/heron/.

Old 22-02-2005, 07:45 PM
kathy

I was going to ask, but forgot, are
herons a protected bird in the UK
like they are in North America?

kathy

Old 22-02-2005, 08:03 PM
kathy

I spotted our heron first by the pond.
Second time he was on top of the shed.
Third time he was perched on the fence.

Every time we scared him off, the labradors
and me.

kathy

Old 22-02-2005, 11:01 PM
~ Windsong ~

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I spotted our heron first by the pond.
Second time he was on top of the shed.
Third time he was perched on the fence.

Every time we scared him off, the labradors
and me.

==========================
I must ask this... do you sit at the window from sun up to sun down guarding
your pond from herons? When happens if you have to go take a shower or run
to the grocery store? Who watches your pond until you get back?
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 22-02-2005, 11:29 PM
kathy

Carol, tediously, wrote I must ask this... do you sit at the window
from sun up to sun down guarding
your pond from herons? When happens if you have to go take a shower
or run
to the grocery store? Who watches your pond until you get back?

Yes, Carol. I do nothing all day but sit by the window and watch the
pond. The dogs are kept by my side at all times. I employ a shopper to
do all my grocery shopping. I haven't taken a bath or shower in, oh,
five years. I haven't taken a vacation, I haven't seen my kids sports
events. Why I even skipped the twins' graduation. And in all that time,
Carol, the heron NEVER came back.
And I will never, ever net my pond, just to tick you off. Hordes of
snakes, dozens of bullfrogs, platoons of herons and kingfishers could
arrive at my pond and CLEAN it out and I will never net my pond. Never,
ever, ever.

kathy

Old 23-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:59:04 GMT, "Dragon Koi"
wrote something like:

I trained my dog to kill them. If you're not good at dog training a rifle
that fires 22 shorts is sub-sonic.

Oh, that will bring in the neighbors and the game commission post
haste. Remember, shooting one is a Federal rap here on the west shore
of the big salty pond.
If you are giong to pop them with the .22, there are fine shot shells
available in rimfire.
"How do I know ? I just do."
--
Crashj
Old 23-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Anne Lurie

Carol,

I know you are bitter -- from things that HAVE NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO
WITH THIS NEWSGROUP.

But, seriously, give it a rest. If not for yourself, for the rest of us
here.

You need to talk to someone -- but you do NOT deserve to take out your
frustrations on the rest of us.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

ups.com...

Old 23-02-2005, 03:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:03:25 GMT, Crashj wrote:

If you are giong to pop them with the .22, there are fine shot shells
available in rimfire.
"How do I know ? I just do."

Must do a heck of a number on a liner pond. "Sorry honey, I hit the heron,
but also the pond, which I didn't notice as I went in for a congratulatory
Bud. The pond slowly leaked away and the fish didn't make it." Oops! ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM