Old 21-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Mostyn

Default Heron

I live in the UK. Last year I had a visit from a heron and he cleaned out
all my goldfish.
so since then I have rebuilt my pond and made it bigger so I can switch over
this year to Jap Koi Carp, I have put in a larger better filtration system
and pump, But my only fear is that dammed Heron, so if any one can sagest a
way to stop his visits this year especially after I restock with koi I would
be grateful.
Mostyn

Old 21-02-2005, 01:30 AM
kathy

Some suggestions for herons that
have worked for pond keepers are

- motion activated sprinker systems, setting two
in a cross pattern
- electric shock fence barriers
- a series of wires strung above the pond making it hard to land
- netting the pond

What works for you will depend on how your pond is situated and how
your yard is set up.Herons need some landing room as they have a wide
wing span but they can land away from the pond and walk in. They like
to stand and watch for their prey to swim by but they can float around
like a duck if needed.

For my pond having two labradors on guard duty took care of my heron
visitor. But it also helped that I was home and able to eject the dogs
from the sofa and out the door to do their duty ;-)

kathy

Old 21-02-2005, 06:07 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I live in the UK. Last year I had a visit from a heron and he cleaned out
all my goldfish.
so since then I have rebuilt my pond and made it bigger so I can switch

over
this year to Jap Koi Carp, I have put in a larger better filtration system
and pump, But my only fear is that dammed Heron, so if any one can sagest

way to stop his visits this year especially after I restock with koi I

would
be grateful.

=======================
I've had YEARS of experience with herons. We see them here about year
'round. The only thing that we found (other ponders I know in my area) that
worked was to NET the ponds with a fine bird netting. Once herons get a few
meals at your pond they will come back continuously. Some people may
suggest those motion spray things - but the herons will learn to come up
BEHIND them and so avoid being sprayed and startled. The nets also keep
out the other fish predators such as bullfrogs, snakes, King Fishers and
snapper/mud turtles. Just my 2¢ worth. :-)
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"People who want to share their religious views with you almost

Old 21-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Roy

And from all the perverted news groups forums you patronize it appears
you have some experieince in more than Herons.........

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:07:34 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

===
==========================
===I've had YEARS of experience with herons. We see them here about year
==='round. The only thing that we found (other ponders I know in my area) that
===worked was to NET the ponds with a fine bird netting. Once herons get a few
===meals at your pond they will come back continuously. Some people may
===suggest those motion spray things - but the herons will learn to come up
===BEHIND them and so avoid being sprayed and startled. The nets also keep
===out the other fish predators such as bullfrogs, snakes, King Fishers and
===snapper/mud turtles. Just my 2¢ worth. :-)

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old 21-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Hal

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:43:37 GMT, "Mostyn"
wrote:

I live in the UK. Last year I had a visit from a heron and he cleaned out
all my goldfish.
so since then I have rebuilt my pond and made it bigger so I can switch over
this year to Jap Koi Carp, I have put in a larger better filtration system
and pump, But my only fear is that dammed Heron, so if any one can sagest a
way to stop his visits this year especially after I restock with koi I would
be grateful.
Mostyn

The short version, clutter up the landing area. A heron can have a
6' wing span and can land and walk over to the pond, but won't land in
an area where something will touch it's wings. Some have used
overhead wires. I (With my wife's help.) turned my yard into a
junkyard of ornamental windmill, flags, wind chimes and flower pot
holders with a few plants like 6' dwarf maples and Miss Huff lantana.

This is my most vulnerable time of the year, because I just cut the
lantana brush left from last year's growth, but I suspect the taller
structures like the gazebo and my neighbors 10' fence (basketball
half-court) adjacent to the lantana bed discourage the heron from
landing in that corner of our small yard.

Regards,

Hal

Old 21-02-2005, 05:51 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message
And from all the perverted news groups forums you patronize it appears
you have some experieince in more than Herons.........

==================================
It appears you never learned to read HEADERS and use www.arin.com . Now
then, tell us what YOU were doing on all the sex and porn NGs Jabriol
(Antonio L. Santana-Candia) frequents? :-)
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Where the hell is Easy Street?"

Old 21-02-2005, 06:24 PM
San Diego Joe

"Mostyn" wrote:

I live in the UK. Last year I had a visit from a heron and he cleaned out
all my goldfish.
so since then I have rebuilt my pond and made it bigger so I can switch over
this year to Jap Koi Carp, I have put in a larger better filtration system
and pump, But my only fear is that dammed Heron, so if any one can sagest a
way to stop his visits this year especially after I restock with koi I would
be grateful.
Mostyn

I have a motion activated sprinkler called a scarecrow. I haven't had a
problem since (knock on wood). I may get a second one this year for better
coverage.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 21-02-2005, 06:39 PM
HendleyWM

I only found them after doing a simple google search on your name,
seems your quite popular in those arenas. No denying it headers all
match, only the user name changes, right down to the style and DNS
given in headers. Your the one in need of a clue windbag..........

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:51:48 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

===
=====================================

Old 21-02-2005, 09:14 PM
~ Windsong ~

"HendleyWM" wrote in message
I only found them after doing a simple google search on your name,
seems your quite popular in those arenas.

** No do a search on learning how to read headers and know which posts are
real and which are forgeries.

No denying it headers all
match,

** And not one can be traced to my ISP. :-)

only the user name changes, right down to the style and DNS
given in headers. Your the one in need of a clue windbag..........

** Nice try but no cigar. Learn how to read HEADERS, none of them
originated from my ISP. You didn't even notice he's using an old "dead"
e-mail account from years ago. You know why dummy? Because Jabriol doesn't
KNOW my new account names. :-)

Old 21-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Koi-ichi

So tell us windbag, did you get in the sack with this here Jabriol and
invite the heron to join or what? Sounds like a kind of kinky
threesome to me...........I bet there are a few here that would like
to try that......Perhaps if youj sprinkled some salt on Jabriol, and I
am sure you have it being the ardent ponder you claim to be, he may
have simply dissolved like a slug....now don;t get me wrong, I am not
callin Jabriol a slug, as he does seem like a really nice person who
has been hassled by a lunatic bitch.......but then again with being so
careless and inept as you are at many things, you wold spill salt on
yourself as well and probably meet an even worser fate......

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:14:59 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

===
et...

Old 21-02-2005, 11:00 PM
~ Windsong ~

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
news:1109010282.8f40b32416a08ce5dbb243328e28ffc9@t eranews...
I have a motion activated sprinkler called a scarecrow. I haven't had a
problem since (knock on wood). I may get a second one this year for better
coverage.

==============
As long as the herons don't learn to come up BEHIND the sprinkler, you're in
good shape.
--
===============================

Old 21-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Richard K

But I assume you like when they come up behind you huh Windbag?

===

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM