Old 24-02-2005, 06:13 AM
kathy

Carol, Carol, Carol....

Irony
The term irony is derived from the Greek eiron (dissembler), and
denotes that the appearance of things differs from their reality,
whether in terms of meaning, situation, or action. That is, it is
ironical when there is a difference between what is spoken and what is
meant (see verbal irony ). what is thought about a situation and what
is actually the case; or what is intended by actions and what is their
actual outcome (see dramatic irony.)

In stable irony there is a constant perspective from which to perceive
the underlying meaning; whereas in unstable irony there is no
perspective that is not itself undercut ironically. (See allegory,
satire, point of view .)

Dramatic Irony is a situation in which the reader or audience knows
more about the immediate circumstances or future events of a story than
a character within it; thus the audience is able to see a discrepancy
between characters' perceptions and the reality they face. Characters'
beliefs become ironic because they are very different or opposite from
the reality of their immediate situation, and their intentions are
likewise different from the outcome their actions will have.

Audiences familiar--like the original Greek spectators--with the legend
of Oedipus know that the hero of Sophocles' tragedy is guilty of the
evil he seeks to punish, and they can therefore fully appreciate
Oedipus' blindness as he self-righteously hunts down the murderer of
Laius--not only blind that he is the murderer, but that Laius is his
father and that he is presently married to his own mother.

Similarly, Othello's hatred of Desdemona for cuckolding him is more
horrible and tragic because the audience knows he is deceived by Iago
and can watch every step of his error. Dramatic irony can produce comic
effects when the ignorance of characters merely makes them appear
ridiculous, or when the unintended results of their actions are
humorous.

Structural irony occurs when a double level of meaning is continued
throughout a work by means of some inherent feature such as a hero,
narrator, or persona who is either naive or fallible (a participant in
the story whose judgment is impaired by prejudice, personal interests
or limited knowledge).

In Swift's Gulliver's Travel's (1726), the narrator who recounts his
own travels is both naive and fallible: he credulously idealizes some
of the peoples he encounters despite their follies; and his judgments
are biased by conservative morality and personal pride. Narrow
conventional morality also biases Nelly Dean, the narrator of Emily
Bronte's Wuthering Heights (1847); and in Shakespeare's As You Like It,
the continuing disguise of Rosalind as the young man Ganymede leads to
multiple levels of dramatic and structural irony.

Old 24-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Dragon Koi

Thanks, Interesting. It doesn't say you can't beat the crap out of them and
break their legs. That's why they're so damn sneaky and fly away.
--
Try to beat the DragonKoi at Poker Champs...
https://secure.pokerchamps.com/poker...code=DRAGONKOI

ups.com...

Old 24-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Derek Broughon

On Wed, 2005-23-02 at 13:18 -0600, ~ Windsong ~ wrote:
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I certainly don't. Thank god the MD Herons have the same schedule as I do.

Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.

Ours had very clearly defined patterns. They'd fly over in the early
morning, feed all day in the creek to the north of us, then fly back at
dusk. I don't think they ever stopped at my pond in the morning, and
rarely before late afternoon.
--
derek

Old 24-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:18:39 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.

Carol, you sooo live in the wrong area to have ponding as a hobby, I
commend you on your tenacity!

## You go that right. Besides the herons there's the King Fishers, the
water snakes, the snapping turtles, huge bullfrogs... the list goes on and
on....

snip

Y'ad think you live in an amazon jungle.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 24-02-2005, 04:48 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:18:39 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to

see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.

Carol, you sooo live in the wrong area to have ponding as a hobby, I
commend you on your tenacity!

## You go that right. Besides the herons there's the King Fishers, the
water snakes, the snapping turtles, huge bullfrogs... the list goes on

and
on....

snip

Y'ad think you live in an amazon jungle.

==============================
Hey, I'm 6 miles from the nearest town and by a huge lake owned by the Cof E
= Gov. land full of wildlife. Besides the fish predators we also have
cranes, skinks, southern sliders and boxturtles, deer, possums, wood chucks,
rabbits, skunk, fox both red and blue, squirrels both gray and red, coyotes,
wild turkeys, loads of ducks and Canadian geese. I'm sure I forgot a few.
So yes, it's kinda like a Jungle here. :-)
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
I have a firm grip on reality.

Old 24-02-2005, 04:55 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Derek Broughon" wrote in message
. ca...
On Wed, 2005-23-02 at 13:18 -0600, ~ Windsong ~ wrote:
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I certainly don't. Thank god the MD Herons have the same schedule as I

do.
Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.

Ours had very clearly defined patterns. They'd fly over in the early
morning, feed all day in the creek to the north of us, then fly back at
dusk. I don't think they ever stopped at my pond in the morning, and
rarely before late afternoon.
--
derek

========================
With as many as we had here, and being unable to tell them apart as
individuals, it hard to say what pattern they had. We would often see one
fishing our ponds while another sat in a tree or on the garage roof waiting
it's turn (I guess). Or one would be fishing in the ponds out front while
another was behind the house picking the breeding pools clean. We'd also
see one fishing the farm pond next door (they raise cattle). It was a
hopeless cause.... it came down to selling all the fish before we lost them
to these birds, or net the ponds and pools behind the house. The King
Fishers were also a problem, but to a lesser degree. Although we never saw
a crane by our ponds - we did see them fly overhead since we're so close to
the lake.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
I have a firm grip on reality.

Old 24-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Crashj

On or about 22 Feb 2005 15:29:09 -0800, "kathy" wrote
something like:

Carol, tediously, wrote
I must ask this... do you sit at the window from sun up to sun down
guarding your pond from herons?
When happens if you have to go take a shower or run
to the grocery store?
Who watches your pond until you get back?

Yes, Carol. I do nothing all day but sit by the window and watch the
pond. The dogs are kept by my side at all times. I employ a shopper to
do all my grocery shopping.

Well, shucks, let me help a spell. You can bring your computer over to
the window and use my website to go shopping. We have most everything,
or access to stores that do, including groceries.
Help support my ponding habit, visit us and shop the internet at:
www.GoNowShop.com

"No, really"
--
Crashj
Old 24-02-2005, 08:02 PM
kathy

OOOoooooo,
548 chocolate offerings..... :-))))))))

kathy

Old 25-02-2005, 04:20 AM
Crashj

On or about 24 Feb 2005 12:02:58 -0800, "kathy" wrote
something like:
OOOoooooo,
548 chocolate offerings..... :-))))))))

kathy

Don't just sit there, buy something ;-)
You know you need it.
Lots of these stores have free shipping.
If you like chocolate, read about "MochaTonix™ - the fat-burning,
energy-enhancing brain booster that can help you think and feel your
very best."
A search on "pond filter" is very informative, also.
--
Crashj
Old 25-02-2005, 03:46 PM
jedi

"Crashj" wrote in message
On or about 24 Feb 2005 12:02:58 -0800, "kathy" wrote
something like:
OOOoooooo,
548 chocolate offerings..... :-))))))))

kathy

Don't just sit there, buy something ;-)
You know you need it.
Lots of these stores have free shipping.
If you like chocolate, read about "MochaTonixT - the fat-burning,
energy-enhancing brain booster that can help you think and feel your
very best."
A search on "pond filter" is very informative, also.
--
Crashj

OK, now you've tempted me. Post the link again would you please?

Old 27-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Crashj

On or about Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:46:20 -0500, "jedi"
wrote something like:

"Crashj" wrote in message
.. .
On or about 24 Feb 2005 12:02:58 -0800, "kathy" wrote
something like:
OOOoooooo,
548 chocolate offerings..... :-))))))))

kathy

Don't just sit there, buy something ;-)
You know you need it.
Lots of these stores have free shipping.
If you like chocolate, read about "MochaTonixT - the fat-burning,
energy-enhancing brain booster that can help you think and feel your
very best."
A search on "pond filter" is very informative, also.
--
Crashj

OK, now you've tempted me. Post the link again would you please?

su
http:/www.GoNowShop.com

You might start with the portal virtual tour button at the top.
Enjoy.
;(^= go fish
--
Crashj

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM