Old 23-02-2005, 03:30 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Carol,

I know you are bitter -- from things that HAVE NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO
WITH THIS NEWSGROUP.

# No my dear YOU are the bitter one. I have nothing to be "bitter" about.

But, seriously, give it a rest. If not for yourself, for the rest of us
here.

# Give WHAT a rest?

You need to talk to someone -

# About what?

- but you do NOT deserve to take out your
frustrations on the rest of us.

# Who have I taken anything out on? You? ????? Are you some kind of
armchair psychiatrist? :-))) I simply thought it strange that someone
would spend all their waking hours somehow guarding their pond with a few
dogs. That's how her posts came across. Now please check out the
alt.support.mental.health NG. You may be happier there??!?!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Where the hell is Easy Street?"

Old 23-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Dragon Koi

You know, I am just kidding (except about the dog).
I did have someone tell me in CA State law says it's legal to protect your
livestock?

Also, If it is legal to use an electric fence. I guess it would be okay to
use an electric koi. If you took some of the floating koi that are supposed
to deter herons and hooked them up to the fence wire with a pin that pulled
like a grenade to make the conection after he had the koi out of the water.

Anyone have a link to the actual federal law?

--
Try to beat the DragonKoi at Poker Champs...
https://secure.pokerchamps.com/poker...code=DRAGONKOI

For more information on Poker Champs go he
http://www.pokerchamps.com/
Remember to enter referer code DRAGONKOI when you join!

Old 23-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Tommie

Frustrated Windsong?......too many irons in the fire, too many
husbands, make that ex-husbands and bad blood to flush, and is it not
about time your on the hunt for hubby number____?_____ as I am sure by
this time whay has to be a record for you in length of time married is
about due a change.........Ya kno0w some states do havea limit on the
amunt of times a person can be married, and I know from counting your
"HUSBANDS (ex that is)" on your website you would have exceeded that
amount in most states, which IIRC is somewhere in the neighborhood of
5 or 6 chances........But yea, I know, they were all at fault and not
you...........of all those loosers you have to pick em all. No
wonder your so down on males etc in the other forums, they certainly
show you no respect do they dearie? Such a perfect woman and can'[t
finds a perfect mate out of all those husbands, I would be bitter to
if I was you.........
Just Roy

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:30:12 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

===
==="Anne Lurie" wrote in message
st.rr.com...
=== Carol,
===
[...]

WINDSONG......the ability to play musical tunes by farting!

This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old 23-02-2005, 03:41 PM
kathy

Dragon Koi wrote Anyone have a link to the actual
federal law?

I do :-)
http://laws.fws.gov/lawsdigest/migtrea.html

You can not "pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take,
capture or kill, possess"

That still leaves harsh language and dirty looks.

kathy

Old 23-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Roy

Yep not that your apt to read this post but here it is just the
same.
Applies to USA:
http://migratorybirds.fws.gov/intrnl.../mbtintro.html
And the Canuck version:
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/enforce/law_1_e.cfm

Old 23-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Hal

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:03:25 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

If you are giong to pop them with the .22, there are fine shot shells
available in rimfire.
"How do I know ? I just do."

The pellets are tiny and are only effective for killing small
varmints, like rats at close range. I wouldn't even shoot a snake
with one that would be cruel. (I'd kill the snake with a stick.) I
feel the same about the heron. If I were to shoot one it would be
with something that would kill it, not wound it to fly away and die
somewhere someone else could watch it die. That someone else might
be more sensitive than I, plus he might call the Wildlife people.

Regards,

Hal
Old 23-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I spotted our heron first by the pond.
Second time he was on top of the shed.
Third time he was perched on the fence.

Every time we scared him off, the labradors
and me.

I find that usage of sonic warfare helps greatly. Our canine sonic brigade
works very well.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 23-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I spotted our heron first by the pond.
Second time he was on top of the shed.
Third time he was perched on the fence.

Every time we scared him off, the labradors
and me.

==========================
I must ask this... do you sit at the window from sun up to sun down

guarding
your pond from herons? When happens if you have to go take a shower or

run
to the grocery store? Who watches your pond until you get back?

I certainly don't. Thank god the MD Herons have the same schedule as I do.

Old 23-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip
I haven't taken a bath or shower in, oh, five years.

snip

Now you are not being truthful. There is no way you have gone five years
without falling into your pond. I don't believe it.

Old 23-02-2005, 05:35 PM
kathy

BV wrote there is now way you have gone five
years without falling into your pond

Shhhhhh! Don't tell the neighbors, I keep shampoo and
creme rinse out there!

kathy

Old 23-02-2005, 07:18 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message
I must ask this... do you sit at the window from sun up to sun down

guarding
your pond from herons? When happens if you have to go take a shower or

run
to the grocery store? Who watches your pond until you get back?

I certainly don't. Thank god the MD Herons have the same schedule as I do.

Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html

Old 24-02-2005, 12:19 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 23 Feb 2005 07:41:12 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

http://laws.fws.gov/lawsdigest/migtrea.html

You can not "pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take,
capture or kill, possess"

That still leaves harsh language and dirty looks. kathy

As long as there nothing under "accidentally" tossing a broom at it, I can
live with that. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-02-2005, 12:26 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:18:39 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.

Carol, you sooo live in the wrong area to have ponding as a hobby, I
commend you on your tenacity!

Below is only a recommendation for those to whom it applies, but if you
have the ponds close to the house or fencing, I've gone to some ponds where
the netting is up high, so one just walks right under, doesn't interfere
with pond plant growth or working in the pond that way. Course it takes
many sheets of it to get it up like that and than down to the ground around
the far edges, so Mr. Heron can't walk under also. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-02-2005, 02:25 AM
~ Windsong ~

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:18:39 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

Ours didn't. They came as soon as it was light enough for them to see,
before we were even awake most mornings. They also came back around
sundown. In spring and early summer they came and went all day long.

Carol, you sooo live in the wrong area to have ponding as a hobby, I
commend you on your tenacity!

## You go that right. Besides the herons there's the King Fishers, the
water snakes, the snapping turtles, huge bullfrogs... the list goes on and
on....

Below is only a recommendation for those to whom it applies, but if you
have the ponds close to the house or fencing, I've gone to some ponds

where
the netting is up high, so one just walks right under, doesn't interfere
with pond plant growth or working in the pond that way. Course it takes
many sheets of it to get it up like that and than down to the ground

around
the far edges, so Mr. Heron can't walk under also. ~ jan

## We considered something like that but chose the lower route. The nets
are about 24" above the water surface since it's draped over those wire
garden fences.

Old 24-02-2005, 05:34 AM
~ Windsong ~

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Carol, tediously, wrote I must ask this... do you sit at the window
from sun up to sun down guarding
your pond from herons? When happens if you have to go take a shower
or run
to the grocery store? Who watches your pond until you get back?

==================================
Yes, Carol. I do nothing all day but sit by the window and watch the
pond. The dogs are kept by my side at all times.

## That must be awful tedious and boring after months and months.

I employ a shopper to
do all my grocery shopping. I haven't taken a bath or shower in, oh,
five years.

## Oh, you poor thing! Maybe a neighbor can give you some relief??!?!?!

I haven't taken a vacation, I haven't seen my kids sports
events. Why I even skipped the twins' graduation. And in all that time,
Carol, the heron NEVER came back.

## Lucky you! Others have them come back day after day.....

And I will never, ever net my pond, just to tick you off.

## Just to tick *me* off? I don't care if you lose your fish, why should
I? If you don't value them, I sure don't. Just curious, why would you
want to tick off a total stranger on Usenet? I ask a question and you want
to "tick me off?" Now that's Bizarre! You're the one who paid for your
fish, not me. It's your loss, not mine.

Hordes of
snakes, dozens of bullfrogs, platoons of herons and kingfishers could
arrive at my pond and CLEAN it out and I will never net my pond. Never,
ever, ever.

## It's your money and your feeders.... :-)

kathy

Carol.... the frugal ponder...

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM