Old 25-02-2005, 09:00 PM
pixi

Default Goldfish problems again or yet

Wish I had never bought those goldfish!!! They have been doing well. Still
had a bit of fin rot but no sign of ich. I had the water up to 80 for
several days and I used malachite green. This morning I changed about five
gallons of water. It's a 10 gallon tank.

Now the goldfish are shimmying like crazy and one of them has a black border
on it's tail where the fin rot was (or is).

Anyone got any ideas?

I've got perfectly goldfish down in the pond by my woods. But only one
fantail. Wanted more and bought these. Trouble ever since.

Pixi

Old 25-02-2005, 09:38 PM
~Roy

The black edges can be a burn from ammonia.....Use some PP and dose em
good and get em over the rot and fungal problems quicker than any
other treatment will.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:00:47 -0500, "pixi" wrote:

===Wish I had never bought those goldfish!!! They have been doing well. Still
===had a bit of fin rot but no sign of ich. I had the water up to 80 for
===several days and I used malachite green. This morning I changed about five
===gallons of water. It's a 10 gallon tank.
===
===Now the goldfish are shimmying like crazy and one of them has a black border
===on it's tail where the fin rot was (or is).
===
===Anyone got any ideas?
===
===I've got perfectly goldfish down in the pond by my woods. But only one
===fantail. Wanted more and bought these. Trouble ever since.
===
===Pixi
===

WINDSONG......the ability to play musical tunes by farting!

This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 26-02-2005, 12:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Personally, if you don't know what the initials PP stand for, one shouldn't
be using it.

Since I can't remember the specifics on this case, what or if water
parameters were checked, what kind of maintenance of the water is
going on, water treatments, used and all that good stuff. I'll leave off
with just my comment above. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 26-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Elaine T

pixi wrote:
Wish I had never bought those goldfish!!! They have been doing well. Still
had a bit of fin rot but no sign of ich. I had the water up to 80 for
several days and I used malachite green. This morning I changed about five
gallons of water. It's a 10 gallon tank.

Now the goldfish are shimmying like crazy and one of them has a black border
on it's tail where the fin rot was (or is).

Anyone got any ideas?

I've got perfectly goldfish down in the pond by my woods. But only one
fantail. Wanted more and bought these. Trouble ever since.

Pixi

Hey - something I can actually help with!

If they're like tropicals, nitrite poisoning will make them shimmy. You
only changed to the bigger filter a week ago so the tank is probably
still cycling. Test your ammonia and nitrites. If nitrite is high,
aerate heavily and add 1 tsp/gallon salt to the water. It will help a
bit because nitrite stresses the gills.

High nitrites will also cause finrot and the black border is likely a
bacterium called columnaris. The best cure for it is clean water, which
means to keep changing water and siphoning out any uneaten food. Even
if you have no ammonia or nitrite, most likely something in the water is
stressing the fish. I'd personally change 25% of the water every two or
three days until the fish look better and not medicate yet.

Potassium permanganate is fine, but use it as a dip. If you treat your
whole tank you'll lose all the bacteria in your filter and things will
get worse, not better. Another option do if you want to medicate is to
net the fish, gently hold him out of the water, and treat the fin edge
with a Q-tip dipped in some drugstore mercurichrome. This works well if
only the fin is affected.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 27-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Crashj

On or about Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:33:12 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote something like:

Personally, if you don't know what the initials PP stand for, one shouldn't
be using it.

We have a similar expression in the skiing world:
"If you think your bindings are held on with Philips head screws you
probably should not be working on them."
The screws have crossed slots, but require a very different driver and
some knowledge.
--
Crashj

Goldfish, yet again pixi Ponds 7 19-02-2005 06:41 PM
Harsh winter (yet again) David WE Roberts United Kingdom 4 08-12-2004 08:51 PM
Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants Roy Ponds 2 31-08-2004 05:38 PM
Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants Roy Ponds 0 29-08-2004 08:28 PM