Old 07-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Howard

Default How to fertilise waterlilies?

Gosh Lee, are you a fish bigot ? I have both goldfish and koi and like each
for its own merits. There are a lot more to goldfish then comets and
shubunkins.

Howard

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Australia bans koi? We have people on this newsgroup from Australia . . .
(stupid question, but) are you sure??? What a bummer! Some of the
"goldfish", like the comets and shubunkins, are quite beautiful and can

get
pretty big, but koi are still the "Cadillac" of fish.

Lee

"YSL" wrote in message
We don't have koi problem here because they are banned in this State. We

can
only keep gold fish, Sigh.

Old 07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Lee Brouillet

Ahem! Not a bigot, how about an elitist?? G. It's just that I still
haven't gotten over the idea that goldfish live OUTside: I've always thought
of them as being aquarium fish. I'm still learning . . . give me a break!
I have zilch experience with goldfish, other than the "bring 'em home from
the Fair in a little plastic bag" kind. Never had much luck with them as a
kid, so I figured goldfish were "finicky". And I know that koi and goldfish
will cross-breed (although the offspring are "mules"). When I decided I
wanted koi, I didn't add any goldfish, because most of my koi are already
pond mutts anyway - so I didn't need the crosses, too. And if you think koi
breed like bunnies, I understand you'll NEVER get the goldies out of your
pond! (Whew!) Therefo just koi!

Lee

Old 07-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Howard

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Ahem! Not a bigot, how about an elitist?? G. It's just that I still
haven't gotten over the idea that goldfish live OUTside: I've always

thought
of them as being aquarium fish. I'm still learning . . . give me a break!

Aw heck sure why not. Got got it.

I have zilch experience with goldfish, other than the "bring 'em home from
the Fair in a little plastic bag" kind. Never had much luck with them as a
kid, so I figured goldfish were "finicky".

Fair goldfish and feeder fish are shiped and held under such bad conditions
that many will die.

And I know that koi and goldfish
will cross-breed (although the offspring are "mules"). When I decided I
wanted koi, I didn't add any goldfish, because most of my koi are already
pond mutts anyway - so I didn't need the crosses, too.

They can breed but seldom do. I have never seen a cross in my ponds.

And if you think koi
breed like bunnies, I understand you'll NEVER get the goldies out of your
pond! (Whew!) Therefo just koi!

I try to keep the koi and goldfish in seperate ponds. For some reason the
goldfish seem to materialize in the koi pond. I pump my ponds dry
each spring and fall. I let the sun dry out the last of the muck and sweep
it
up with a broom and dust pan. That way I am 100% sure regarding what
fish I stock the pond with.

Two weeks ago I gave away my last single tailed goldfish. Lets see if they
can find their way home ?

If you want to give fancy goldfish a try get them from a fellow pond person.
That way you can start with non sick fish. They tend to be much easier to
keep in ponds then aquariums. There is some debate regarding which
goldfish types can be keep outdoors during the winter.

Old 08-02-2003, 07:20 AM
adavisus

Water lilies like a high content of clay, its loaded with trace
minerals.... take a lump of clay, flatten it into a pancake shape,
sprinkle any slow release fertiliser, roll it into a cylinder shape
and leave it to dry in the sun.... when rock solid, it can be rammed
in alongside the water lily whenever the number of lily blooms take to
sulking

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys plant list for interesting swaps
------------------oo----------------------
Old 09-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Gary Woods

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:57:30 GMT

"Howard" (remove XYZ) wrote:

Gravel is perhaps a bit too flow tru
to use with fertilizer.

I use plain garden soil, doing the dividing and re-potting in one of those
plywood garden carts, then wheeling down to the pond and soaking with water
as the pail sits at water's edge.
Of course, my garden soil is
50% clay
50% gravel
50% rocks
50% epoxy
At least, droughts have no hold on me!

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

Old 10-02-2003, 01:25 AM
YSL

Koi is banned in Victoria, Australia. Not sure other States. And also
according to the local law, a fishman has to kill any carps landed. Transfer
carps from one water to another is illegal.

Old 10-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Gale Pearce

Hi Howard
If you move plant material from GF pond to Koi pond or buy new
plants, you probably have eggs hitchhiking a ride - I have a friend in the
same boat - er pond :~

Gale :~)

Old 10-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Carola / Les

"YSL" wrote in message
We don't have koi problem here because they are banned in this State.

We
can
only keep gold fish, Sigh.

Koi are only banned in Victoria and, I think, South Australia. There is no
ban in the rest of Australia. The reason is that European carp were
released in the rivers and caused damage to the eco-system by rooting out
plants and vegetation etc. The legislators then banned ALL carp.
The Australian Koi Association is working on having the ban lifted with
regard to Koi but it is finding it hard going. Les

Old 11-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Howard

I understand that but it is more fun to think they come by way
of spontanious generation.

I pump out and dry the ponds because it is less work then
the shopvac thing. Esp if a few pots have been overturned.
I have about 10K of ponds so maintance time is an issue.

Howard

Old 15-02-2003, 06:27 AM
~ jan

I am using cut off 5 gallon pails for about half the lilies. They are a bit
hard on the hands since the top part with the handle is cut off. I get
free 5 gallon soy sauce buckets from a local restraunt.

I use cut off round "closed" nursery pots for the tropical lilies and put
the pot inside a basket so I still have handles. I use two long handled 3
prong garden rake/hook and can get them out of the pond without getting wet
or a back ache. Helps if two people are doing it, but one can manage. ;o)
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 17-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Lee Brouillet

Confused me, too, until I looked at the e-mail address: they're in
Australia. See answers below my post (above).

Lee

Old 18-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Howard

Thanks Gregory,
I started this thread and yours is the answer I was looking for.
I was wondering if it was possible to use fertilizer tabs in pea gravel
planted plants.

Thanks again

Howard

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
et...
You can use clay. I used to but went with plain pea gravel (small rounded
stone), which I cover with river rock (about 2-3 inches in diameter). No
problem with my Koi bothering the lilies, or routing in them, like in the
past. No clay to attract them (as they browse for "treats")
I did an experiment, comparing divided lilies (same rootstock) planted in
clay vs. gravel, both in same size pots, and both getting identical fert.
tabs.
First year, clay did much better as far as blooms, but no appreciable
difference as far as leaf growth. From year 2 and on, no difference.
I have switched to pea gravel for all my plants (including marginals), and
have found:
1) much easier cleanup if I dump one (I mean when I dump one!)
2) less algal blooms (yes, even in closed baskets you get some leaching)
3) no appreciable difference in weight of the baskets
Try it. You may like it!
Happy ponding,
Greg

--