Old 09-03-2005, 09:02 PM
zookeeper

Default First lily pad ...

.... reached pond surface this morning. And another 3 or 4 are close behind.
We haven't really had a winter this year -- just a few days of freezing
temps, almost no rain, and have had warm weather (60-70 degrees) for a week
or so, including a record 71 on Monday. Haven't checked pond water temp yet.
Iris leaves are already 8-12 inches and pickerel is sending up lots of
shoots and leaves. Koi are active, but still on their natural diet -- pond
critters, algae, etc., and have heard lots of toads / frogs at night. What's
happening at your pond?
--
Zk
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

Old 09-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Reel McKoi

"zookeeper" wrote in message
... reached pond surface this morning. And another 3 or 4 are close

behind.
We haven't really had a winter this year -- just a few days of freezing
temps, almost no rain, and have had warm weather (60-70 degrees) for a

week
or so, including a record 71 on Monday. Haven't checked pond water temp

yet.
Iris leaves are already 8-12 inches and pickerel is sending up lots of
shoots and leaves. Koi are active, but still on their natural diet -- pond
critters, algae, etc., and have heard lots of toads / frogs at night.

What's
happening at your pond?

====================
I went to check the water temperature in my bigger pond today to find the
thermometer GONE! Evidently the string broke and it fell to the bottom.
:-( The fish are at the bottom again after sever days of munching algae
and fresh fat worms from the flower bed. So I shut the pump off.....
My water lilies still haven't reached the surface. The pickerel are up only
about 2". The parrot's feather has tiny whirls. It's 48 F here today (zone
6 TN).
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Shared-Secrets is not an anonymous remailer,

Old 09-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Gale Pearce

What's
happening at your pond?
--
Zk
Oregon, USDA Zone 7
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Nothing yet - Just lots of ice and snow on it so far - ~16" hole open from
the airstone - 20F right now - no spring here yet in SW Ont
Gale :~)

Old 17-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Clurrie

Heavy ice all over, just the "stream" and "falls" show that a pond is
there at all. Getting warmer, though, hanging in around the melting
point in eastern New Brunswick, so I may soon get to find out if the
trout survived or not... I hope the submersed pump can hold out for at
least another month or so because I fear for my fish if it does...
Crows and ring-necks have been walking around the pond (getting a
drink?) Otherwise, all is calm and waiting break-up.

Clurrie
(One hole in ground, 200 trout, water lilies and iris. Paradise in the
making.)

Gale Pearce wrote:
What's

happening at your pond?

Old 19-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I have frog eggs!!!!

# ALRIGHT!!! :-)))

I thought for sure the lady frogs would like the water a bit warmer,
current ranging 55-60*, but apparently not. I don't even have any lily

pads
up to the surface yet. Frogs are making due with the few stems of lizard
tails, Water Hawthorne and my thermometer with its attached string.

# Whatever they can get I suppose... no lady frogs here yet. I have
hornwart and elodia (pond weed) spread everywhere for their arrival. They,
and the newts love laying their eggs in these plants.

Koi ponds are still in winter mode. ~ 45*F. The difference, it's on the
north side of the house, the lily pond on the south. It should start to

get
more sun now. DH did a major pruning of the wisteria on its west side.

What
was a shaggy sheep dog wisteria, became a whippet. Took him 3 days to chip
all the prunings. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

# You have some really nice pictures on your website.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 19-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

# You have some really nice pictures on your website.

Thank you. I'll have to take a picture of the "new" nude wisteria.
~ jan )

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

==================
Uh, perhaps you should wait until it has some,... er,... leaves.... :-)
I wouldn't let my husband prune anything. All he leaves are stumps and
things that look like monsters.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 19-03-2005, 07:32 PM
news groups

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
I have frog eggs!!!!

I thought for sure the lady frogs would like the water a bit warmer,
current ranging 55-60*, but apparently not. I don't even have any lily pads
up to the surface yet. Frogs are making due with the few stems of lizard
tails, Water Hawthorne and my thermometer with its attached string.

Koi ponds are still in winter mode. ~ 45*F. The difference, it's on the
north side of the house, the lily pond on the south. It should start to get
more sun now. DH did a major pruning of the wisteria on its west side. What
was a shaggy sheep dog wisteria, became a whippet. Took him 3 days to chip
all the prunings. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

*SIGH* That is GREAT to hear!
Maybe warmer weather is just around the corner for us here in Colorado
Springs! I am SO ready!
Keep us posted!
W. Dale

Longevity of plant propogation pad (ie, heating pad)? gonzo Edible Gardening 0 13-03-2008 11:55 AM
Lily Pad and mud Peter Smith Ponds 18 08-06-2006 02:47 PM
Lily Pad life Heather Ponds 1 18-06-2003 02:20 PM
Alternative filter for dynoflo-2 -without carbon pad Sushil Prasad Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 31-03-2003 09:32 AM
Disguising an old aviary concrete pad Gen Australia 4 29-03-2003 01:56 PM