Old 09-04-2005, 08:57 PM
WVNebJockey

Default Idea for a veggie filter

OK, I have a question.

I have 3 small preformed ponds. Yes preformed. I'm in the middle of moving
them and reconfiguring them to out of sight/touch of the grandkids.

Anyway... I have a 90, 125 and 250 gal ponds. I have 3 bioforce 250/UV
filters and adequat pumpage (I've got pumps out the wazoo..) Here is my
idea. I have 3 55gal plastic drums. I'm thinking of cutting them in half
and doing a modified "skippy" filter approach. I was wondering if I could
use a layer of lava rock instead of the scotchbright pads.

I have a link to the photo here
http://www.ccems.org/images/veggie_filter.jpg

What do I plant in the top? What do I plant the plants in?

I'm a veggie newbie.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:40 PM

Watercress works well in a veggie filter. You will have a job of
getting it out of the lava rock. Last year I put it in the top of my
Skippy and they sent roots all thru my media to get to the goop at the
bottom. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

Water hyacinth works great in the top of a veggie filter.
You don't have to "put" them in anything,
thay just float and send down long masses
of roots.
You can see photos of my 100gallon rubbermaid
stock tank veggie filter here,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com/Cement_Pond1.html

Ron

--
Ron Lawrence, kc4yoy
(Curmudgeon in training)

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)
kc4yoy(at)carolina.rr.com

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com

Old 10-04-2005, 02:50 AM
WVNebJockey

My ponds are in full sun. Will water hyacinth be OK in full sun.

--
WVNebJockey

. com...

Old 10-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

My ponds are in full sun. Will water hyacinth be OK in full sun.

YES, the more the better.

Ron

Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our setup has 3 full 55 gal barrels (upflow) in the berm, four ponds for
sedimentation and two waterfalls for the returns. We have run water
hyacinth, water celery, mint, parrotts feather and anacharis in various
combinations to grab nutrients. The hyacinth and celery seem to grow
the best and to send great root systems. The watercress is best in the
cold and gets wiped out in the summer. Our pondsite (below) shows you
the layout. Slow flow through the veggie filter with roots drops out
the muck. Rocks and lava rock did not help and became a huge pain to clean.

If you can daisy chain the ponds and barrels, you won't nee much
pumping. Our setup has a total of 4,000 gals and runs on a pump that
pushes 2,000per hour.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at:
jogathon.net

Old 10-04-2005, 03:48 PM
kathy

The problem with lava rock is that it is hard to clean.
It is heavy and the muck gets in all those little holes.

When I ran a mechanical/bio filter I used black vinyl
screening, very easy to hose off, light to lift.

Sinc then I have gone to plants only as filters,
water hyaninth in an upflow stock tanks, over
the waterfall planted with watercress. Watercress does
okay here year round in SE WA.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Gareee©

No friggin watercress at any of the local grocery store at all. I'll try a
health food store next.

Or does lowe's or walmart carry it for gardens, perhaps?

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
kathy

Not sure about lowes or walmart but one thing you
can do is ask the produce manager of the store to
order it for you. I once ordered 10 bunches for 10
dollars. It works if it comes with roots or without
roots.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Gareee©

Might end up having to try that. There are a few health food stores I still
need to check.. and my local Wal-Mart didn't get their pond plants yet.

It ain't easy being green....

Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 AM
ROSS

Here is some pictures of our preformed pond with the upper smaller one for
the filter
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...sort_o rder=0

Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Crashj

On or about Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:57:26 GMT, "WVNebJockey"
wrote something like:

I was wondering if I could
use a layer of lava rock instead of the scotchbright pads.

Lava rocks are cheap. Do it. Just throw out the whole mess at the end
of the season. I mean, it's not like watercress was people?
--
Crashj
Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Snooze

" Ron Lawrence KC4YOY" wrote in message
. com...
My ponds are in full sun. Will water hyacinth be OK in full sun.

YES, the more the better.

Ron

I think you mean, plant a few, and wait a few weeks for the WH to double in
size. Remove half, and toss them in the compost pile or the garbage, repeat.

-S

Old 11-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

My ponds are in full sun. Will water hyacinth be OK in full sun.

I think you mean, plant a few, and wait a few weeks for the WH to double

in
size. Remove half, and toss them in the compost pile or the garbage,

repeat.

NO, his question was "Will water hyacinth be OK in full sun".

My response was YES, the more (SUN) the better.

Ron

Old 12-04-2005, 01:49 AM
WVNebJockey

well my next problem.... I can't find any water hyacinth here.... Not many
pond friendly places here in WV. You say pond and they think you're talking
about a BIG pond in the middle of a pasture.

m...