Old 12-04-2005, 02:25 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Shareholders Pond Status

I pulled the iris up to clean them up a bit. They were covered in leaves and
debris. Next weekend they're getting split and repotted. They are
overgrowing their baskets.

My lillies have not yet spring.

The Pickeral Rush seems to be coming up from the depths.

The Water Celery is growing like crazy.

We have several Bullfrogs, one of which that is so large I think he is a
danger to my four year old.

Water clear to the bottom.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 PM
kathy

BV, jan told me not to divide the iris until
after they finish blooming.

Of course, being a lazy water gardener,
I haven't actually divided them yet... and
they are growing outside the island...

And I didn't trim the seed pods either
(did I mention my lazy gardening habits?)
so the seed pods went pop and now I've
got volunteer iris growing in the grassy bank,
which is kind of kewl.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

kathy wrote:
BV, jan told me not to divide the iris until
after they finish blooming.

Tnx for the info. My iris have overgrown their (large!) basket, and
died off in the middle -- ie. they *really* need dividing, but I now I
know to wait until after they bloom. The bloody basket must weigh close
on 80lbs -- I can barely lift it above the water surface, and the roots
have come all through the bottom and sides.

I've also got a few small baskets that I don't recall what's in them
;-). I think one is the Arrowhead Lily, one is the white pickerelweed
(which I suspect is dead, but I'm hoping will recover), and one is a
waterlily tuber that may also be kaput.

The water forget-me-not is greening up nicely.

-- Kizhe

Old 13-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Reel McKoi

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
The Water Celery is growing like crazy.

## And mine dies out every winter. :*( This year I'm not replacing it.

We have several Bullfrogs, one of which that is so large I think he is a
danger to my four year old.

## We haven't seen or heard a frog in over a week. Neither green frogs,
bullfrogs or tree frogs. We can't imagine what happened to all our frogs.
By this time of year we've always been overrun with them..... where have
all the froggies gone?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
=========================

Old 13-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Bill Stock

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I pulled the iris up to clean them up a bit. They were covered in leaves
and
debris. Next weekend they're getting split and repotted. They are
overgrowing their baskets.

My lillies have not yet spring.

My Lillies have been in the dark for six months. But when I pulled them off
the bottom last weekend they had 8" shoots and a leaves about the size of
silver dollars.

Everything else is nowhere in sight.

The Pickeral Rush seems to be coming up from the depths.

The Water Celery is growing like crazy.

We have several Bullfrogs, one of which that is so large I think he is a
danger to my four year old.

Water clear to the bottom.

Water is muddy, despite a good cleaning last fall.

Old 16-04-2005, 07:14 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:58:20 -0400, "Lt. Kizhe Catson" wrote:

Tnx for the info. My iris have overgrown their (large!) basket, and
died off in the middle -- ie. they *really* need dividing, but I now I
know to wait until after they bloom.

Another tip about iris, the part that blooms, should be cut off and just
keep the shoots off the sides that didn't have blooms. The part that blooms
will never bloom again and the off shoots will bloom the next year. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 16-04-2005, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:25:39 -0500, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

## We haven't seen or heard a frog in over a week. Neither green frogs,
bullfrogs or tree frogs. We can't imagine what happened to all our frogs.
By this time of year we've always been overrun with them..... where have
all the froggies gone?

I think they have their own little internet connection and are in mourning
for the reduction that had to happen at my pond over that weekend. :-( I'm
down to one lone croaker, who rarely does. Not my happiest spring I must
say.

Now my neighbors who like the frogs, but also thought they were a bit loud
can decide next year if a little volume for a short time, is better than no
spring frog song at all? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 16-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:25:39 -0500, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

## We haven't seen or heard a frog in over a week. Neither green frogs,
bullfrogs or tree frogs. We can't imagine what happened to all our

frogs.
By this time of year we've always been overrun with them..... where have
all the froggies gone?

I think they have their own little internet connection and are in mourning
for the reduction that had to happen at my pond over that weekend. :-( I'm
down to one lone croaker, who rarely does. Not my happiest spring I must
say.

## I fully understand. However I would be happy with even one croaker at
this point.

Now my neighbors who like the frogs, but also thought they were a bit loud
can decide next year if a little volume for a short time, is better than

no
spring frog song at all? ~ jan

## Lets hope they change their minds, miss the songs of nature and allow
the frogs to return next year. The songs of nature we're hearing are from
the Canadian geese who moved into our neighbor's stock pond which is only a
few hundred feet from our house. Now they sure do get noisy over there....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 16-04-2005, 06:44 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

## Lets hope they change their minds, miss the songs of nature and allow
the frogs to return next year. The songs of nature we're hearing are from
the Canadian geese who moved into our neighbor's stock pond which is only a
few hundred feet from our house. Now they sure do get noisy over there....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...

Oh MY! My next trick to irritate, have a flock of honkers come in. "You
think frogs are loud, how about...." Would be too funny, except I
wouldn't be too happy either. Having only a teeny filter on that pond.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 18-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Another tip about iris, the part that blooms, should be cut off and just
keep the shoots off the sides that didn't have blooms. The part that
blooms will never bloom again and the off shoots will bloom the next year.

It just shows to go you... I've had irises for years, been on this group
for about as many, and I _never_ knew that. Thanks Jan.
--
derek

Old 18-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Bonnie NJ

I missed that item when you posted. I guess that's why iris travels. I
know it jumped from my bog.
My question is does the plant draw water thru the original plant or just
from the new growth?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 19-04-2005, 02:00 AM
~Roy~

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:07:06 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

===~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
===
=== Another tip about iris, the part that blooms, should be cut off and just
=== keep the shoots off the sides that didn't have blooms. The part that
=== blooms will never bloom again and the off shoots will bloom the next year.
===
===It just shows to go you... I've had irises for years, been on this group
===for about as many, and I _never_ knew that. Thanks Jan.

So now I have to go around and cut all those shoots off that had
blooms.........hmmmmmmmm What would be the result if I elected not
to cut them. I may be able to keep up with them this year, maybe next
year, but at the rate their growing and spreading I doubt I could
manage that the next year, as I hjave em planted about every 3 to 5
feet all around a 1+ acre sized pond.........sure looks better than
cat tails ;-) At least they stay green all year and have pretty
flowers in spring.

If I do not cut them will the off shoots still make blooms or what?

Old 19-04-2005, 04:13 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Another tip about iris, the part that blooms, should be cut off and just
keep the shoots off the sides that didn't have blooms. The part that
blooms will never bloom again and the off shoots will bloom the next year.

It just shows to go you... I've had irises for years, been on this group
for about as many, and I _never_ knew that. Thanks Jan.

Don't feel bad, Derek, I was in my 5th year of Master Gardener before I
learned this tidbit. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-04-2005, 05:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

So now I have to go around and cut all those shoots off that had
blooms.........hmmmmmmmm What would be the result if I elected not
to cut them. I may be able to keep up with them this year, maybe next
year, but at the rate their growing and spreading I doubt I could
manage that the next year, as I hjave em planted about every 3 to 5
feet all around a 1+ acre sized pond.........sure looks better than
cat tails ;-) At least they stay green all year and have pretty
flowers in spring.

If I do not cut them will the off shoots still make blooms or what?

In your case, Roy, I wouldn't bother, you're going to get plenty of blooms.
The tidbit is more geared towards those of us with 1-3 pots of iris. That
when it comes to dividing don't keep the one that bloomed, or you'll be
disappointed the next year with no blooms. (Been there, done that.)
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Another tip about iris, the part that blooms, should be cut off and just
keep the shoots off the sides that didn't have blooms. The part that
blooms will never bloom again and the off shoots will bloom the next
year.

It just shows to go you... I've had irises for years, been on this group
for about as many, and I _never_ knew that. Thanks Jan.

Don't feel bad, Derek, I was in my 5th year of Master Gardener before I
learned this tidbit. ~ jan

There's always something new to learn! In hindsight, I know my wife told me
about this behavior on a similar sort of terrestrial plant (might even have
been irises). But if it's not in water, it goes right over my head (if I
might be allowed to mangle a metaphor).
--
derek