Old 24-04-2005, 04:26 AM
DD DDD

Default Charcoal In Large canister Bio/Mech Filter?

Can I put activated Charcoal in my canister? Will it do any good? Or
should I just leave it alone? Im just trying to keep the water as pure
as I can. My filter is 12 inches wide and 24 inches high. It has room
for a charcoal area. Also I have a course, medium and fine filter with
40 bio ball on bottom, Can I put A fine filter on top instaed or the
course one so I only have to clean the top one and not disturb the
others. I want to keep the good bacteria alone that way. Thank you

Old 24-04-2005, 01:02 PM

if there are dissolved metals or some harmful chemicals you want to
remove, charcoal filter media will only help. it won't do much for
green water though.

Old 24-04-2005, 05:35 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:26:34 -0500, (DD DDD) wrote:

Can I put activated Charcoal in my canister? Will it do any good? Or
should I just leave it alone? Im just trying to keep the water as pure
as I can. My filter is 12 inches wide and 24 inches high. It has room
for a charcoal area. Also I have a course, medium and fine filter with
40 bio ball on bottom, Can I put A fine filter on top instaed or the
course one so I only have to clean the top one and not disturb the
others. I want to keep the good bacteria alone that way. Thank you

As long as the carbon is easy to remove it is okay. You don't want to leave
old carbon as supposedly it will drop some bad stuff in favor of other bad
stuff, once full. (Hope that makes sense.) I prefer carbon matting myself,
I mostly use it to remove tannins when I have a problem.

Regarding your filter, are you saying the water goes thru in the direction
of coarse, medium to fine, or the other way around? Assuming the later,
coarse, medium to fine, the reasoning is to have the first two catch any
large muck to keep the fine, where a lot of bio-media will be, clean. If
you put a fine at the beginning, it will clog up quickly and fine is harder
to clean. That all said, try it and see what you think, because
YMMV. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Hagen Natural Plant System odor: / was CO-2 injection into a canister filter. Squid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 15-05-2004 05:09 PM
Inexpensive Bio Balls or Rock for Bio Filter TomM in NY Ponds 5 21-04-2004 12:08 AM
Airlock in Eheim Canister filter Simon Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 03-12-2003 08:42 PM
cleaning canister filter Barry Ponds 6 11-09-2003 02:39 AM
CO2 into a canister filter Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 26-04-2003 12:56 PM