Old 04-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Suthern Transplant

Default Advice please, waterfall question

Hi all,

I am building a waterfall between an upper pond which is new and an exising
100 gallon lower pond. I bought rock etc. I don't want to repeat others
mistakes so I am looking for good advice in advance. Is there a website with
this type of info.?

Question: I cannot get my mind around how to start the waterfall...I have a
pre-formed plastic pond about 3' suspended off the ground approx. 4' away
from the lower pre formed pond. I would like to spill both ways into the
pond above and down into the fall. I bought rubber lining and plan to
free-form the fall with block and brick under mixed w/ chicken wire and
mortar/sand mix followed by pad then liner, then build fall. If I build up
rock at the apex and want to spill both ways I will need some means for
water to spill from the upper pond or it will overflow. I cannot figure out
how to do this with a pre formed deal.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Suthern Transplant

Old 04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
kathy

Okay, keep in mind that you are talking to a complete
amatuer here but I'll try and explain how my DH built our
waterfall.

Behind the waterfall he set a 150 gallon stock tank.
The water goes in the bottom.
The waterfall hill is built in front of the stock tank, up to
about six inches from the top. DH drilled four holes
in the area above the rock work and below the lip of
the tank.
He put pieces of pipe thru those holes.
The water flows out of these.
Then he hid this area with large rocks and stacked
flat rocks on top of them which hid the top of the stock
tank.
Our waterfall is about four feet wide and goes down
several undefined steps.

Hope this helps. If you think this is something you want
to know more about, post back and I'll get DH to explain it
in more technical terms.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
new this week ~ turtles

Old 05-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Suthern Transplant

Thanks!
Yes more detail please...what you wrote so far makes good sense.
Suthern
oups.com...

Old 05-05-2005, 04:44 AM
kathy

Dh typing here on
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As my wife said I used a stock tank and drilled holes just below the
lip. You can get the drill bits in just about any size. I used a 2"
"hole saw" bit. The "pipes" I installed are called bulk head fittings.
The number of fittings I used was just by experiment. I started with
three and found out that this was not enough when the water from the
pump overflowed the stock tank. So I cut two more holes. The falls I
made are just a wide stream. About 6 feet wide with a two foot drop
over a four foot run. After I built up the dirt I laid the liner on the
dirt. Starting from the lower pond I laid a course of large flat rocks
across the bottom of the falls. I then laid the next course with a
small overlap on the first course. The process was repeated untill I
reached the top. I then used insulating foam (the type I used was made
not to expand too much) to fill in the gaps between the rocks. After
the foam had dried a short time I knocked off any foam that was
sticking out too much and sprinkled sand to camouflage the foam. I then
put small rocks around to driect the flow of water where I wanted.