Old 22-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Mike C

Default Waterfall help- need ideas please

As I posted in a previous msg, rodents have destroyed my waterfall
eating through the liner. I am looking at possibly using a plastic
waterfall spillway (homemade or bought), but am wondering how to
conceal it with the type of waterfall and stone I have. Any suggestions
or other ideas on how I can fix this are appreciated! I hate to just
replace the liner and have it destroyed again.

This will give you an idea of my pond:

http://www.neticca.com/pond.html

Thanks

Old 22-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
As I posted in a previous msg, rodents have destroyed my waterfall
eating through the liner. I am looking at possibly using a plastic
waterfall spillway (homemade or bought), but am wondering how to
conceal it with the type of waterfall and stone I have. Any suggestions
or other ideas on how I can fix this are appreciated! I hate to just
replace the liner and have it destroyed again.

==================
I'm sorry that I have no suggestions on how to hide your waterfall under
rocks. If the rodents are muskrats, and they're a problem here in TN in
some areas, you can call your wildlife service for advice. You may be able
to remove them legally one way or the other. One woman I know had to pull
her entire liner out and have the hole lined with some kind of metal to keep
muskrats out. They continually ate holes in her liner to as deep as 2 1/2
feet.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 22-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Mike C

Well, I took the suggestion from Bonnie and made a trip to Target. I
picked up an underbed storage container and a dish drainboard. Both
are clear. I used my Dremel to cut a spillover out of the front of the
large container. I placed the drainboard in front of it with about 4 "
under the container. I did a trial run to level things off and
eliminate any spillage. I then placed flat rocks over the drainboard
and used other stones to hide the plastic container. I threw a bunch
of hycaniths and water lettuce in the container to further help
camoflouge the container. I am not going to say it is the best
waterfall I've ever seen, but it looks decent and has no leaks and
should be fairly rodent proof.

Old 22-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Gareee©

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I took the suggestion from Bonnie and made a trip to Target. I
picked up an underbed storage container and a dish drainboard. Both
are clear. I used my Dremel to cut a spillover out of the front of the
large container. I placed the drainboard in front of it with about 4 "
under the container. I did a trial run to level things off and
eliminate any spillage. I then placed flat rocks over the drainboard
and used other stones to hide the plastic container. I threw a bunch
of hycaniths and water lettuce in the container to further help
camoflouge the container. I am not going to say it is the best
waterfall I've ever seen, but it looks decent and has no leaks and
should be fairly rodent proof.

Now if ya want to make it REALLY cool, get some of that rope light (the kind
without vent holes if possible.)

Blue works best.

Tear your waterfall apart again, and clean the outside of the plastic.

Now wrap the rope light around the container, maybe run some underneath it,
and duct tape it to the container.

Rebury the thing again, and replace your rocks on top of it, and maybe toss
a few smaller ones in the middle of the container.

Plug the ropelight in, and tonight, enjoy your lightup waterfall!

We did this with a translucent storage bin mini pond, and it was just
awesome at night! And that rope light really holds up very well.. that mini
pond was torn up 2 years ago, but the ropelight is still in use as outside
yard decoration year round, since then. (going on 4 years now!)

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 22-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I took the suggestion from Bonnie and made a trip to Target. I
picked up an underbed storage container and a dish drainboard. Both
are clear. I used my Dremel to cut a spillover out of the front of the
large container. I placed the drainboard in front of it with about 4 "
under the container. I did a trial run to level things off and
eliminate any spillage. I then placed flat rocks over the drainboard
and used other stones to hide the plastic container. I threw a bunch
of hycaniths and water lettuce in the container to further help
camoflouge the container. I am not going to say it is the best
waterfall I've ever seen, but it looks decent and has no leaks and
should be fairly rodent proof.

==========================
GREAT! It sounds really nice and the price was surely right as well.
Parrots feather is also great for hiding containers. You can hardly see my
settling tank by mid spring.

Old 23-07-2005, 03:01 AM
Hal

On 22 Jul 2005 08:12:32 -0700, "Mike C"
wrote:

As I posted in a previous msg, rodents have destroyed my waterfall
eating through the liner. I am looking at possibly using a plastic
waterfall spillway (homemade or bought), but am wondering how to
conceal it with the type of waterfall and stone I have. Any suggestions
or other ideas on how I can fix this are appreciated! I hate to just
replace the liner and have it destroyed again.

I made a waterfall liner of hardware cloth and sand mix cement,
covered it with GE silicon and used the silicon caulk to glue it to
the pond edge/lip. I can't imagine small wildlife making holes in
that.

Regards,

Hal
Old 23-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Nice pond.

Bummer about the rodents!

You could probably put some sort of rigid plastic or cement beneath the
liner and try again. We love the liner behind our falls because it
retains the water fully.

Jim