Old 05-05-2005, 09:02 PM
zookeeper

Default Water lily report

First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.
Gloomy wet day today, but the flashes of color from the koi brighten things
up.
--
Zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Gary Woods

"zookeeper" wrote:

First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.

Let's see.... IIRC, Envy is on The List of major-league sins, is it not?
Heck, I'm happy to see leaves, let alone buds?

Pictures?
You might as well give me something really good to repent for.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Reel McKoi

"zookeeper" wrote in message
First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.
Gloomy wet day today, but the flashes of color from the koi brighten

things
up.

========================
Our first WL blossom opened today! And it wasn't the white one as we
thought, but the mini pink one in the kiddy pool. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder... in zone 6 TN
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 05-05-2005, 10:38 PM
JamesG

Mine came up this weekend, it still hasn't opened yet though. I'm in
Texas.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

zookeeper wrote:

First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.
Gloomy wet day today, but the flashes of color from the koi brighten things
up.
--
Zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

I've had hardy lilies blooming for a few weeks now. The exotics are
barely starting to send pads up. The cattail has been doing fine along
with the oxygenators which are making little white flowers near the
surface. And, the water lettuce made it through the cool months ( I
left them outside but put them in soil ) so I'm waiting for things to
warm up so it starts to repopulate. The Mare's Tail keeps spreading
year round. Gotta love So Cal! http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond8.htm
for the latest in project pics!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
~Roy~

Mine have been blooming for some time now, a bit funny looking without
many leaves as the hail storms did most leaves in but it did not
appear to setback the blooms.......Just today there was close to 2
dozen in bloom, some with multiple blossoms on them.........but I am
not sure if its two seperate plants or that one plant with multiple
blooms...its a nice large pale chiffon yellow lilly, of approximately
4 inches or so in size..............

Old 06-05-2005, 03:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 05 May 2005 17:43:18 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

I've had hardy lilies blooming for a few weeks now. The exotics are
barely starting to send pads up. The cattail has been doing fine along
with the oxygenators which are making little white flowers near the
surface. And, the water lettuce made it through the cool months ( I
left them outside but put them in soil ) so I'm waiting for things to
warm up so it starts to repopulate. The Mare's Tail keeps spreading
year round. Gotta love So Cal! http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond8.htm
for the latest in project pics!

So lovely.... but just how big is the path to get to the dock? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 06-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Elaine T

zookeeper wrote:
First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.
Gloomy wet day today, but the flashes of color from the koi brighten things
up.
--
Zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Fun! Mine's got 4 small leaves now. I think it will have to put out
quite a few more before it thinks about flowers.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 06-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

snip

So lovely.... but just how big is the path to get to the dock? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

No path. The dock is decorative, built mostly to shade the golden ones
in the summer. Although, I do hop up there occasionally to do
maintenance. The lower area to the right of the dock now has the
similar river rock in place and another planter / bog tub where I
started more cattail. I hope to finish the mine shaft soon and then the
whole upper area will be complete. Oh yeah, I also installed the
windows! Put on some brass door knobs too! "Property of DMP", a
tribute to David Michael Palmer, my boss, who gave me the oar
specifically for my project before pancreatic cancer took him. I'll
miss him!!

Hmm, guess I need to update the pics!!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hmm, guess I need to update the pics!!

Oh yes, can't wait to see what you did with the windows. So the dock isn't
a sitting, dang your feet in, dock? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 08-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Hmm, guess I need to update the pics!!

Oh yes, can't wait to see what you did with the windows. So the dock isn't
a sitting, dang your feet in, dock? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Well, for adults that really want to, I guess. I wanted limited access
for my little ones. That's why the placement of it. Otherwise, it's
built like a tank ( or dock!)
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

the dock

Well, for adults that really want to, I guess. I wanted limited access
for my little ones. That's why the placement of it. Otherwise, it's
built like a tank ( or dock!)

Oh sure, duh, I should have paid more attention to the kid toys in the
yard. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 09-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Greg Cooper

zookeeper wrote:
First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.
Gloomy wet day today, but the flashes of color from the koi brighten things
up.
--
Zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Further north here in BC in my shaded pond the leaves are starting to
reach the surface but little else. The rest of the maginal plants are
doing fine though.
Old 23-05-2005, 05:02 AM
Clurrie

zookeeper wrote:
First water lily bud reached the surface yesterday. After our warm, dry
winter, and warm, slightly wet spring, plants are ahead of schedule here.
Gloomy wet day today, but the flashes of color from the koi brighten things
up.
--
Zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

We've had one of the coldest spring in a long time, yet a bud has
cleared the surface.

Interestingly, one opened about 8 inches under the surface about a week
ago. Never heard of such a thing....

Clurrie

"A day working on your pond is another day closer to Paradise"