Old 26-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Gareeeİ

Default Ok, Watercress isn;t doing so well....

Unless the fish are eating it. The local Lowe's doesn't have any fast
growing pond plants in that will spread to help clear the algea... any other
good ideas?

(No WH in this area, either.)

Maybe something else from the grocvery store I can toss in?

We've added 4 Iris, 2 lillies, mini cattails (doing poorly), and the
watercress (doing poorly)

The iris and lillies are growing like crazy though.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 26-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Reel McKoi

"Gareeeİ" wrote in message
Unless the fish are eating it. The local Lowe's doesn't have any fast
growing pond plants in that will spread to help clear the algea... any

other
good ideas?

(No WH in this area, either.)

Maybe something else from the grocvery store I can toss in?

We've added 4 Iris, 2 lillies, mini cattails (doing poorly), and the
watercress (doing poorly)

The iris and lillies are growing like crazy though.

======================================
You could try adding 1 Tbs. of POTASH per 1000 gallons and see if that
helps. Unless the plants get enough potassium they will not do well. Some
plants need more, some less.

The fastest growing inexpensive plants I know of are the water lettuce and
water hyacinth. Compost or sell the excess.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 26-05-2005, 05:11 PM
kathy

Don't give up on the watercress yet. It takes a
while to take off. How are the temperatures down
there? Despite watercress supposedly being a
cool weather plant mine thrives all thru the
summer even our spell of 100+ temperatures.

I doubt you'll be able to get water hyacinth and
water lettuce since they are on the hit list of
many southern states (at least commercially)

Mini cattails are slow growers. A theory of mine
is that plants that have been mini-ized don't bring
much vigor after being tampered with. Both mini
cattails and mini horsetail in the bog haven't done
well, where other plants have thrived.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 26-05-2005, 06:41 PM
CanadianCowboyİ

My watercress is doing fine and growing even in the waterfall and I live
in Canada where temperatures are just starting to get summery.

I suggest that you make sure the watercress is tied down somehow and has
a place to attach its roots.

Old 26-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Gareeeİ

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't give up on the watercress yet. It takes a
while to take off. How are the temperatures down
there?

All over the place.. at night, between 43 and 65 degrees, and during the
day, anywhere from 60-82.

Just a VERY bizarre spring!

The watercress looked to be doing pretty good, and then it just seemed to
give up.

The fish haven't been eating their food (but I've seen them nibbling at the
watercress, and there's some pretty big tadpoles in there. (I thought some
were baby fish at first!)