Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Glenn S.

Default Unfortunate sequence of events :-(

This weekend, we lost all the koi in our front pond due to a couple of badly
timed events.

On Friday, we lost water to the house (private well). We pulled the pump,
fixed the problem, and re-sunk the pump Saturday a.m. Since this was a
major disturbance to the well, we dumped a gallon of bleach into the well.

On Sunday, we ran the pump for a couple hours to clear out chlorine.

On Monday evening, we had a decent rainstorm that popped the circuits on the
GFI breaker to the pond. Unbeknownst to me, this caused a reverse siphon of
water from the upper pond (100 gallons), through the UV, to the lower pond
(220 gallons). The lower pond overflowed and when I noticed it, the upper
pond was about 2 inches shy of being full. As is normal for me, I grabbed
the house and filled the ponds.

This a.m. (Tuesday) when we left for work, all the fish (7 smallish koi)
were dead.

I guess I didn't get the chlorine out after all and after 48 hours it hadn't
dissipated on its own.

:-(

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2003 Swee****er 22' Pontoon Boat
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/gs_pontoon01.html

FOR SALE: 1999 Fleetwood Mallard 37' Travel Trailer
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Mallard001,html

Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Koi4Me

"Glenn S." wrote in message
[...]

========================
I'm so sorry to hear this. :*( "Stuff" happens. Before you replace your
koi you may want to consider how large they get, and fast! You may be better
off with rosy reds or a few goldfish. Again,... sorry for your loss.
--
Koi4Me.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Koi4Me

Are you an Idiot???????????

you suppose to kill the Koi before you dump in the bleach

those rec.gardeners are going to say us ponder are dumb.
since I am the moderator, I must ask for you to resign.

Infact I insist.

Koi4Me.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 AM
Greg Cooper

Glenn S. wrote:

This weekend, we lost all the koi in our front pond due to a couple of badly
timed events.

I guess I didn't get the chlorine out after all and after 48 hours it hadn't
dissipated on its own.

:-(

Sorry for the loss - I know how bad I would feel.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Hal

On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:34:02 -0400, "Glenn S."
wrote:

On Monday evening, we had a decent rainstorm that popped the circuits on the
GFI breaker to the pond. Unbeknownst to me, this caused a reverse siphon of
water from the upper pond (100 gallons), through the UV, to the lower pond
(220 gallons). The lower pond overflowed and when I noticed it, the upper
pond was about 2 inches shy of being full. As is normal for me, I grabbed
the house and filled the ponds.

I am sorry for your loss, but may I suggest you drill a hole (I use
5/32" on a 1 1/2" tube.) in the tube above the waterline of the lower
pond. Place the hole so the water still shoots into the lower pond,
but will allow air to break the siphon if the pump stops.

Regards,

Hal

Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Glenn S.

Actually, the koi size is not an issue. Although I stated that the front
ponds were a combined total of about 400 gallons, what I didn't say was that
I have a backyard pond that is about 4,000 gallons and that's where all the
big koi live when they are too big for the front ponds.

Even though the 4,000 gallon pond could use a topping off, I've not put any
additional water in that pond yet - and I don't plan to until at least the
weekend.

--