Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Koi4Me

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
Still no change....I think im going to disconnect it.

=====================
Why disconnect it unless you can return it? I'm sure they will not take it
back unless you can prove it's defective. Before giving up on it try and
find where the N and P are coming from that's feeding this algae. Or as
suggested before, cover most of the pond with some kind of sun blocking
device to allow the UV to catch up - then uncover the pond. Meanwhile try
and find where all the algae "food" is coming from.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 PM
matrix j

For a very heavy bloom "very bright sunlight" they take up to 2 weeks to
clear the pond....i have had mine for 3 years already with the same
bulb.

The bulb catches up during the night when there is no sunlight shining
on the pond. So if you have some cloudy days it works much faster.

Also make sure your to buy an oversized unit for your pond....that way
if you do have lots of sunlight you will get faster results.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 PM
matrix j

Btw....when i had my first massive algae bloom this year my water was
green then turned grey because of the dead algae....i then cleaned the
filter every day until it was clear..the dead algae sometimes floats and
gets sucked in by the filter.....the larger the filter the less
cleaning....

Old 09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
matrix j

You said you received a lot of rain....rain contains a lot of nutrients
and if it's heavy it will unbalance the pond for a while...mine does
that too...

Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Koi-minator

"matrix j" wrote in message
You said you received a lot of rain....rain contains a lot of nutrients
and if it's heavy it will unbalance the pond for a while...mine does
that too...

========================
In some parts of the country it's also acidic which can change the PH of the
pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:34 PM
robv60

Well, rear pond still isnt clear. Just for the heck of it, I purchased
an identical UV(half as many watts though @ 9 watts) for my front pond.
Just hooked it right up and didnt worry about the "proper
flow-through". Well, needless to say the front pond cleared up
completely in less than 48 hours. This wasnt even ran a continuous 48
hours. I had cut it off to clean the quilt batting and forgot to cut it
back on when I left for work. So....I have since put the smaller unit
on my back pond to see if itll do anything. Maybe this will let me know
if I have a bad bulb in the larger unit. We'll see....Also added a
prefilter around the pump, thats all i had for filtration on the UV
unit in the front pond and it seemed to work well enough.Now, if I can
just get my beautiful fish to move so I can see them in my clear water,
that would be great. They just keep hiding all the time.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Reel McKoi

"robv60" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

==============================
Keep us updated on this UV light business. I wouldn't doubt now that you
may have a defective unit. If the second unit cleared them up as fast as
it has - then that may be the problem. Most are guaranteed so you can get a
refund or another unit.
My ponds have cleared up on their own after the breeding frenzy and peasoup
phase. I have Tetra UV lights but haven't used them in a few years.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
robv60

well, so far the 9 watt unit has been continuously running on the back
pond for 14 hours. Pond is showing signs of clearing. By this time
tomorrow it may poaaibly be clear. Obviously I have a bad 18 watt bulb.
Problem is the guy i bought the unit from on ebay was hard enough to
get in touch with as it was just trying to ask him simple questions.
Doubt I'll be able to get a new bulb out of him and probably wouldnt
want to deal with him anyway. I may just have to suck it up and buy one
from someone else. Just need to find the best price. I did a 10% water
change in the front pond yesterday, may go ahead and do it in the back
as well. Of course I suppose this will cause another bloom?

Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Reel McKoi

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
well, so far the 9 watt unit has been continuously running on the back
pond for 14 hours. Pond is showing signs of clearing. By this time
tomorrow it may poaaibly be clear.

## Another thing to consider is what EXACTLY is floating around in your
pond. As you know the UV lights are useless for particulate matter from
plants and other debris that falls or blows in. A problem we have is when a
koi knocks over a plant and the fine clay soil goes into suspension - what a
mess for awhile. It will even pass through quilt batting. Much ends up in
the 40 gallon settling tank from what I can see.

Obviously I have a bad 18 watt bulb.
Problem is the guy i bought the unit from on ebay was hard enough to
get in touch with as it was just trying to ask him simple questions.

## And this is one of the prime reason I never buy *anything* on Ebay
although I check out the goodies there occasionally. It's like buying a
pig-in-a-poke. You pays your money and you takes your chances..........
and the seller is soon long gone.
I don't purchase plants online (aqua plant sellers) anymore either. Just
try and get a refund or replacement if there's a problem.
Last case was riccia I purchased from one I will leave unnamed. It was
anything BUT riccia. Judging by the pine needles and other debris it
contained it was picked off the forest floor somewhere and sold as riccia.
It was a common rock MOSS they sent - the same type I can find here in any
shady wooded area.

Doubt I'll be able to get a new bulb out of him and probably wouldnt
want to deal with him anyway. I may just have to suck it up and buy one
from someone else.

## Buy LOCALLY if you can. It's the safest way to do business. Frugal as I
am I would rather pay a few bucks more and purchase things locally than try
and save a dollar and buy from total strangers or unknown businesses online.

Just need to find the best price. I did a 10% water
change in the front pond yesterday, may go ahead and do it in the back
as well. Of course I suppose this will cause another bloom?

## It may. If this continues you'll have to find the SOURCE behind these
blooms.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
RichToyBox

See Jan's response to the question on filtration, using the bag made from
window screen and batting.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

Old 13-06-2005, 06:26 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I did a 10% water
change in the front pond yesterday, may go ahead and do it in the back
as well. Of course I suppose this will cause another bloom?

10-20% shouldn't. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~