Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 PM
robv60

Default Shelf life of UV bulb

What is the SHELF life of a UV bulb? I recently purchased a UV
clarifier and it seems to be doing absolutely nothing after about 5
days. The bulb glows, but im just not sure its doing anything. The
clarifier was "new in the box" but I have no idea how long it was
sitting in the box before I plugged it in the first time. Do the bulbs
degrade while sitting on the shelf while not in use?

Old 07-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Reel Mckoi

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the SHELF life of a UV bulb? I recently purchased a UV
clarifier and it seems to be doing absolutely nothing after about 5
days. The bulb glows, but im just not sure its doing anything. The
clarifier was "new in the box" but I have no idea how long it was
sitting in the box before I plugged it in the first time. Do the bulbs
degrade while sitting on the shelf while not in use?

======================
I never heard of a bulb going "bad" sitting on a shelf. Why not call the
source where you bought the light and inquire why you see no changes yet?
I used mine for 3 years and they still worked.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
robv60

Well, I have pulled out the quilt batting I have in my filter the last
two days to clean it and it was fairly gunked up with some
brownish/gray muck, dead algae? Maybe its working but I do have some
pretty green water. 18watt UV, turbo twist 6x, flowing @ 850 GPH in a
1750 gallon pond that gets full sun for about 6 hours a day. Maybe the
UV isnt powerful enough to keep up with the algae?

Old 07-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Reel Mckoi

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I have pulled out the quilt batting I have in my filter the last
two days to clean it and it was fairly gunked up with some
brownish/gray muck, dead algae?

$$ Yep, and probably other "things" floating around in your pond water.

Maybe its working but I do have some
pretty green water.

$$ Have you any idea what could be feeding this severe algae bloom? You may
just be suffering the "usual" springtime bloom! It hit my ponds when the
fish started breeding this year. Between the eggs, milt and them stirring
up everything my ponds turned dark green. When the plants really took off
the algae started to fade away....

18watt UV, turbo twist 6x, flowing @ 850 GPH in a
1750 gallon pond that gets full sun for about 6 hours a day. Maybe the
UV isnt powerful enough to keep up with the algae?

$$ It should be powerful enough to do the job unless something is adding to
the problem - such as not enough pond plants, too much feeding, fertilizer
running into pond when it rains, a lot of mulm on the pond bottom.... the
number and size of fish, number of tadpoles.... you can see why that's a
hard question to answer.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:22 PM
robv60

Well lets see.... This is going to be long....I have pond plants, but
not nearly enough no doubt. I have water hyacinth, I purchased 20
"baby" plants and then bought 3 large plants each with two medium sized
plants growing off of them for a total of nine plants. So, 29 Hyacinth
which really areant multiplying very much-or at all.(Did get my first
bloom today though!) I also have a few water lettuce floating around. A
couple of bunches of anacharis and something else I cannot remember
the name of. One potted water iris and two water cannas. I had several
water lillies but they got snipped off by a snapping turtle that moved
in, since been evicted by me! I rarely feed the fish at all, maybe once
a week if that much. I only have 8 3-4" long goldfish in the pond. No
tadpoles. (Although, on a side note, my front pond had a crazy amount
of tadpoles, not so much anymore,ahem.. The front pond gets a little
less sun everyday. It was pretty clear for the longest time after the
back pond greened up. Just recently, we had a week where it rained
amlost 7 days in a row, now the front pond is greening/clouding up.
Figures since I just put a small koi and a sarassus in it. Cant see
them. Got a UV coming for that one too.) No fertilizer run-off, I did
place a some mall chunks of fertilizer in my lilly pots right before
the turtle decided they needed to go. Also, I really do not have any
circulation other than whats going through the UV Which is still about
1/2 the pond volume an hour. I lose an insane amount of water with the
falls on so until I can get it lined it stays off. No biofilter to
speak of. Im working on one now, its supposed to go at the top of the
falls though-so oh well. I know that definately isnt helping matters,
but, I only have 8 fish in a 1750 gallon pond.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Reel Mckoi

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

=======================================
I would say at this point to just have patience and see what happens. You
have adequate plants for the number of fish involved. Keep checking for
turtles as they pass large amounts of feces every day. Bird dropping are
very rich in nitrates. You may try covering 2/3s of the pond with something
that stops light until the UVs catch up. You may also try one of the
colored water shaders that supposedly starves algae for light. Something is
feeding your algae, that's for sure....

I read that a lack of "iron" can also cause pond plants to fail amid plenty
of N-P-K in ponds. If they're not thriving they're not using up the N-P,
and so the algae are utilizing it.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:12 AM
~Roy~

The bulbs do not start to degrade until the they get plugged n and
operating. They can just about set indefinately on a shelf unused.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:36 AM
robv60

Whats a good way to test for N-P-K? I have added 0-0-22, thats when the
pond started greening up, the very next day after adding it. This was
more than a month ago. The hyacinth did perk up a bit when it was
added, but I think the algae got most of it.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:46 AM
Reel Mckoi

"robv60" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whats a good way to test for N-P-K? I have added 0-0-22, thats when the
pond started greening up, the very next day after adding it. This was
more than a month ago. The hyacinth did perk up a bit when it was
added, but I think the algae got most of it.

================
It's my understanding that algae uses mainly P, some N and very little
potash. You can purchase the test kits in most Aquarium stores or larger
pet shops. I've learned what works best for my ponds, so don't bother
testing anymore.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Oxymel of Squill

do they seriously degrade, or do they keep working so long as they light up?

cheers

"~Roy~" wrote in message
The bulbs

Old 08-06-2005, 01:27 PM
~Roy~

No, they degrade over time.........Its no different with ther UV
lights in a UV used in the pond or the UV's used in hot tubs and spas
to kill bacteria........over time the bulb does degenerate. We have a
UV on our hout tub, and you can tell when its getting to the point of
needing to be replaced. Id you look at most any manufactuers info,
they spell it out that most bulbs will have a lifespan of usefullness
for about 3 years time, before needing replacement..........we have
seen this first hand wtyh the hot tub. The substance in the bulb over
time of being charged electrically and with the heat inside the bulb
causes it to degrade............So even if the bulb lights up it does
not mean its still good if its around 3 years of age........(actually
that figure is if the bulb is kept on for 3 years continous useage) so
mileage in a pond or aquarium may vary........as a hot tub is usually
left on 24/7/365

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:17:22 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

===do they seriously degrade, or do they keep working so long as they light up?
===
===cheers
===
===
==="~Roy~" wrote in message
et...
=== The bulbs
===

Old 08-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Dsybok

I put an 8 watt UV on my 800 gallon pond at 700 GPM and it cleared
completely green water in a matter of a couple of days. I mean it went from
pea soup to absolutely crystal clear. Pond gets about 6 hours of direct , SO
Cal hot sun a day.

I have a string algae problem since our winter rains, but no water clarity
issues whatsoever. Your UV should be plenty powerful enough unless as others
have said, there is something else at work.

oups.com...

Old 08-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
eenews.net...
do they seriously degrade, or do they keep working so long as they light

up?
==========================
It is said they degrade but I saw no lessening in the power of mine over the
3 year period we used them. You must clean the inner sleeve or they will
not be effective. Slime and minerals build up on the sleeve preventing the
UV radiation from working.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:49 PM
RichToyBox

In continual use, they will have a serious drop in output over a years time
and need to be replaced. In storage, I don't believe they degrade. If they
are used only for a month each year, at the start of the green water season,
then they are usable for a few years, but they will be weaker each year.
--
RichToyBox

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
eenews.net...
do they seriously degrade, or do they keep working so long as they light
up?

cheers

"~Roy~" wrote in message
The bulbs

Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 AM
robv60

Still no change....I think im going to disconnect it.