Old 20-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default Green Tree frogs

I live in the south and have been kept awake several nights because of these
treefrogs. I also have a large Koi pond. I thought they were just reg. frogs
at first and was relocating some of the frogs to a natural pond a couple
miles up the road to cut down on noise. At night about 845 that loud frog
noise will start up again. Flash light in hand I finally seen them. Its not
the frogs I thought it was. These are tiny green treefrogs. Theres quite a
few out there. I tried to catch some but their to fast and at night you
can't see them. They hide during the day. I can't find them. They will croke
all night though. I live in a subdivision also and am worried the neighbors
are going to start complaining about the noise.
Any suggestions? Can the neighbors file a complaint about this. Its really
loud. Here is the sound that the frogs make, times it several times. It
actually hurts your ears out by the pond.

http://www.naturesound.com/frogs/pages/grntfg.html

Old 20-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
[...]

=====================
I have nothing to play a RAM (?) file so couldn't listen to it. Yes,
neighbors can file complaints if the frogs start to drive them batty and
keep them awake at night - in most areas. Were the frogs there before your
pond, or did your pond bring the frogs? I don't think anyone would be too
thrilled to be kept awake at night by any kind of noise........
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 20-06-2005, 10:55 PM
CanadianCowboy

One man's pleasure is another man's poison.

I would love to sleep to that sound.

Don't get anything like that here in Canada .

Old 20-06-2005, 11:21 PM
kathy

That's a hard question. And it will depend on
your city attorney. But here in my town we had
the city attorney write a ponder to get rid of
her frogs.

The breeding cycle for some frogs can be short.
Have you looked them up on the web to learn more
about them? Enter your state, the words native
amphibians on google.com. Know thine enemy.

If your neighbors do complain you could sponsor
a frog catching party.
Have you tried spotlighting them with a flashlight?
You get the frog dazzled with the light and have
someone prod them from behind so they jump into
a fairly close meshed sport fishing net (one that has
a deep dip in it as compared to a flatter koi net).
Twist the net, to tangle the frog up, bring the net
in, turn it so the frog is on his back (should stop
struggling) untangle frog, drop in covered bucket
with an inch of pond water.

A group of ten year old boys are really good at this.

You could try netting the pond so they can't get to
the water and hope they get the hint.

Predators. Hog nosed snakes love frogs. Water snakes
and garter snakes love frogs. Most humans don't love
snakes but when you are desperate.

Cats love to hunt frogs. Herons enjoy them (herons also
enjoy your fish...)

Let us know what hapens as this is an annual question
that appears on rec.ponds.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ introducing Miss Lily,
a painted turtle

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 20-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Priscilla McCullough

WOW! Its saids Green Treefrogs may be heard calling anytime from March to
October in the South.
Green Treefrogs congregate in large choruses of several hundred.

oups.com...

Old 21-06-2005, 12:10 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:26:25 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough" wrote:

I live in the south and have been kept awake several nights because of these
treefrogs.

I'm the ponder K30 spoke of with the City Attorney sending me a letter. I
was able to catch many of my males, but it didn't help, more just came and
replaced them.

I was so ticked that someone in my neighborhood would go to the authorities
first before contacting me, even anonymously, that I wrote a letter to
those who would most likely have written it. Out of 15 letters I got 12
positive responses that they liked the frogs (personally I love the frogs
and sleep wonderfully as their call is white noise to me, not to mention
that all is well out where they are). Of the 3 that didn't respond, 2
probably didn't even know I had frogs, but 1 is very obvious, straight
across the street and new to the neighborhood. My letter informed them
about the life cycle, that they were a native species (just like our
squirrels, birds, skunks, raccoons, crickets..... ). That I had reduced the
number (there were a couple of nights of silence, so if they were
listening, they couldn't have missed that) but if there were any further
problems to contact me directly. A note on my door or by e-mail as I gave
my E-address. I also sent the letter to the CA.

The CA e-mailed me back thanking me for my efforts. A few weeks went by and
the numbers were climbing again, I would go out and catch them, but they
were getting too smart for me, diving deep. I E-ed the CA to see if "these
people" had complained again, but they hadn't received anything and I never
heard anything more. Now I'm down to just a couple as their season is
ending, though I must say, I was amazed to find a fresh sac of eggs just
the other day. These got move to a tub before their brethren decided to
have eggs for breakfast.

My suggestion, changing one's attitude may be easier than controlling the
frogs. Frog croaking is not noise it is nature. When they are croaking
nothing bad is roaming around your yard. If desperate, foam ear plugs work
wonders, my husband, 2 inches away, snores louder than the frogs can croak
outside, so I have to plug the right ear so I can hear the frogs with my
left. ~ jan

See my lily pond, built for the tree frogs:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

Any suggestions? Can the neighbors file a complaint about this. Its
really
loud.

We love our tree frogs.
Tell your neighbors that they could just fire up their
gas weed eaters and leaf blowers and drown out the
sound of the frogs.
As far as your pond attracting the tree frogs.
We have them all over around here, there are lots
of trees, they just come to our pond to breed.
We hear them singing all around at night, not anywhere
near the pond.

Ron in NC

Old 21-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

you are so predictible..

And you don't know what you're talking about.
I am NOT Carol.

Ron in NC

Old 21-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
WOW! Its saids Green Treefrogs may be heard calling anytime from March to
October in the South.
Green Treefrogs congregate in large choruses of several hundred.

=====================
We have Treefrogs on our windows every night. They call for awhile, then
quiet down and go after the bugs on the windows. We also have regular green
frogs in our ponds that call and call and call.... but all quiet down by
1:30 to 2 AM. If I close my bedroom windows I don't hear them. The
bullfrogs like our neighbors stock pond for some reason, so when they're
calling to breed they're usually over there. For some reason we have a lot
less frogs and pollywogs this year than in years past.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 21-06-2005, 06:44 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

We love our tree frogs.
Tell your neighbors that they could just fire up their
gas weed eaters and leaf blowers and drown out the
sound of the frogs. ron in NC

Oh YES!!!! Just a couple of weeks ago, during a beautiful, comfortable
temperature-wise day, when you can have the windows open and really enjoy
the nice sounds of the neighborhood and the waterfall, a neighbor did that.
Not the one who complained, but right across from them. All weekend long,
it was a professional service, so we're talking commercial LOUD trimmers
and blowers. All I could do was chuckle, "and they complained about frogs"
surely this is worst. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 21-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Derek Broughton

CanadianCowboy wrote:

One man's pleasure is another man's poison.

I would love to sleep to that sound.

Don't get anything like that here in Canada .

Not "there" in Canada :-)

I used to get them in S. Ontario (Tree Frogs, anyway, I don't recall exactly
which one - but I think Green Tree Frogs), and I certainly have tree frogs
here on the Nova Scotia coast. I haven't seen them to verify that they're
the same frog we had in Ontario, but I heard them calling up until I went
on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I only heard a couple of late spring
peepers when I got home yesterday, though, so I don't know if I still have
the tree frogs.
--
derek
Old 21-06-2005, 10:51 PM
~Carol~

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

[...]

Carol Can be reported at:

Tell Dimitry that NYM Shifting to bypass filters goes against netiquette

here is carol Id at x-privat.org

here is carol Id at x-privat.org

here is carol Id at x-privat.org

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
Green Frogs Mosfunland Ponds 2 05-05-2004 01:06 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
Looking for Green Frogs DJsEros Ponds 4 17-04-2003 10:32 PM