Old 27-06-2005, 01:18 AM

Default how communicable are diseases?

Well, today we noticed one of the comets hanging out at the top of the
pond gulping air and being a little listless. Another downside of the
algae bloom, it's hard to see what's going on. We scooped him out and
took a look, and the poor little guy is pretty messed up. One of his
front fins is almost gone, he's got a worm hanging off his back, and a
nice fuzzy patch of fungus on one side. I can't tell if there's an
ulcer under the fugus, or if it's just fugus...

So, he's in a hospital tank full of our pond water. I've been testing
the water somewhat obsessively and it seems fine. Ammonia is 0,
Nitrates are around 2 and Nitrites are 0.25. We put in some medecines
for fin rot, external parasites, fugal infections, I don't know how
much that stuff helps but I figure it's worth a shot.

How likely is it that any of this stuff will catch onto the other fish?
They are both fine so far, the new guy that's only been in there a
couple of days (possibly the carrier?) has no signs of anything. I'll
obviously keep a close eye on them, but should I expect them to be
next?

Old 27-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, today we noticed one of the comets hanging out at the top of the
pond gulping air and being a little listless. Another downside of the
algae bloom, it's hard to see what's going on. We scooped him out and
took a look, and the poor little guy is pretty messed up. One of his
front fins is almost gone, he's got a worm hanging off his back, and a
nice fuzzy patch of fungus on one side. I can't tell if there's an
ulcer under the fugus, or if it's just fugus...

## It sounds like your pond is in need of help... the worm on his back is
probably an anchor worm. They're contagious. Dimilin will get rid of them.
KoiZyme will seriously help prevent ulcers. Fungus as well? I think you
need to do some water changes and perhaps remove some of your fish.

So, he's in a hospital tank full of our pond water.

## I don't think you're pondwater is too healthy. You may want to do water
changes on this hospital tank as well.

I've been testing
the water somewhat obsessively and it seems fine. Ammonia is 0,
Nitrates are around 2 and Nitrites are 0.25. We put in some medecines
for fin rot, external parasites, fugal infections, I don't know how
much that stuff helps but I figure it's worth a shot.

How likely is it that any of this stuff will catch onto the other fish?

## Very likely. There are other things that dissolve in pond water over
time besides Nitrates etc. How large is your pond and how many fish are in
it. What is the PH?

They are both fine so far, the new guy that's only been in there a
couple of days (possibly the carrier?) has no signs of anything. I'll
obviously keep a close eye on them, but should I expect them to be
next?

## Please look into quarantining all new fish. Better that than exposing
your resident fish to disease and parasites.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso

Old 27-06-2005, 11:33 AM

## Very likely. There are other things that dissolve in pond water over
time besides Nitrates etc. How large is your pond and how many fish are in
it. What is the PH?

Here is my water:

Ammonia: 0 (as far as I can tell, the dip stick does not change color
and has no green in it)
Nitrites: 0.25
Nitrates: 20
GH: 300
KH: 120
pH: ~8

Pond is 120 gallons, 3 2" goldfish in it. It's been up about 2 weeks
now, this is the second fish loss. The first one had no obvious signs
of disease like this one did.

He died overnight, I think we got the meds on him too late, thanks to
our new pond algae bloom we didn't notice something was wrong for a
while I guess. He was in pretty bad shape by the time we fished him
out.

What should I do? Drain the pond and refill? Half water change? Pull
the other fish out and give them pre-emptive drugs? Leave the fish in
and keep an eye on them?

Old 27-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
oups.com...

## Very likely. There are other things that dissolve in pond water over
time besides Nitrates etc. How large is your pond and how many fish are

in
it. What is the PH?

Here is my water:

Ammonia: 0 (as far as I can tell, the dip stick does not change color
and has no green in it)
Nitrites: 0.25
Nitrates: 20
GH: 300
KH: 120
pH: ~8

## It's odd that you have no ammonia after only 2 weeks. Your pond cycled
unusually fast??!?!?!!?!

Pond is 120 gallons, 3 2" goldfish in it. It's been up about 2 weeks
now, this is the second fish loss. The first one had no obvious signs
of disease like this one did.

## Were these feeder fish? I suppose they weren't quarantined before you
added them to the little pond. After bringing in all kinds of parasites in
the past I quarantine EVERYTHING I purchase now - for at least 21 days!
Even the cleanest Aquarium stores can have infested fish. I learned that
the hard way. :-(

He died overnight, I think we got the meds on him too late, thanks to
our new pond algae bloom we didn't notice something was wrong for a
while I guess. He was in pretty bad shape by the time we fished him
out.

What should I do? Drain the pond and refill? Half water change?

## Advice will vary but I would do a partial water change and remove the
remaining fish for treatment. I now go by the rule "If one fish has a
disease - they all have the disease."

Pull
the other fish out and give them pre-emptive drugs? Leave the fish in
and keep an eye on them?

## I would treat them all. The anchor worms spread rapidly leaving sores
that can get infected..... that can be a mess to clean up.

Old 27-06-2005, 05:29 PM
~Roy~

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:52:04 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

snip
=== After bringing in all kinds of parasites in
===the past I quarantine EVERYTHING

READ: She now uses condoms
===

snipi
=== "If one fish has a
===disease - they all have the disease."

READ: Fish = Husbands.......
snip

===
===## I would treat them all. The anchor worms spread rapidly leaving sores
===that can get infected..... that can be a mess to clean up.

READ:
Treat them all to divorice papers, and numerous trips to county heath
department is needed.

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 27-06-2005, 05:50 PM

## It's odd that you have no ammonia after only 2 weeks. Your pond cycled
unusually fast??!?!?!!?!

Honestly I have no idea what's going on with the pond. It's been filled
with water for 2 weeks, 3 days and had fish/plants for 2 weeks, 1 day.
I've been testing ammonia and nitrites daily for the past 8 days and I
haven't seen a single drop of ammonia. After the fish death last week I
added some starter bacteria, for what it's worth, supposedly it was
good stuff guaranteed to be alive kept refridgerated during shipping,
etc. Maybe that has kept the ammonia at bay?

Meanwhile algae has grown like crazy, and my plants look like crap. I'm
going to take the iris' out tonight and add fertilizer pellets, because
they look like they're about to give up. The water hyacinth are brown
and ugly and doses of potash haven't helped at all. The anacharis are
growing like crazy however.

## Were these feeder fish? I suppose they weren't quarantined before you
added them to the little pond. After bringing in all kinds of parasites in
the past I quarantine EVERYTHING I purchase now - for at least 21 days!
Even the cleanest Aquarium stores can have infested fish. I learned that
the hard way. :-(

No, I didn't quarantine, I figured they were all new so why bother? Of
course now I see that it would be easier to disinfect the little tank
than the big pond... I wonder if the lily I mail ordered came with some
parasites... It had some worms on it, but they fell off when I soaked
it and died after 30 minutes in the water. Maybe there were some other
buggies on there...

## Advice will vary but I would do a partial water change and remove the
remaining fish for treatment. I now go by the rule "If one fish has a
disease - they all have the disease."

Ok, I bought some dimlin to kill the anchor worms. We'll keep an eye on
the fish and hope they don't catch anything, if they do we'll do an
immediate treatment. I'm tempted to salt the pond, but I'd have to take
all the plants out. Not sure how much damage that would do to my
nitrogen cycling. Plus we're having a big outdoor party this weekend
and I'd like the pond to look somewhat presentable (I already have my
algae is a natural part of the balancing ecosystem speech down).

Old 27-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Reel Mckoi

"~Roy~" a SICK TROLL wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:52:04 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

snip
=== After bringing in all kinds of parasites in
===the past I quarantine EVERYTHING

READ: She now uses condoms

## Don't you ever get tired of TROLLING this NG? Do you ever think about
anything besides sex?

===

snipi
=== "If one fish has a
===disease - they all have the disease."

READ: Fish = Husbands.......
snip

## Don't you low-class uneducated trash ever get tired of TROLLING NGs? Do
you ever think about anything besides sex?

===## I would treat them all. The anchor worms spread rapidly leaving

sores
===that can get infected..... that can be a mess to clean up.

READ:
Treat them all to divorice papers, and numerous trips to county heath
department is needed.

## Don't you low-class underachieving trash ever get tired of TROLLING NGs?
Do you ever think about anything besides sex? Surely professional help is
available even in the backwaters and hollows where you slime your way
through life.....

## Don't you low-class underachieving uneducated trash ever get tired of

Old 27-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
oups.com...

## It's odd that you have no ammonia after only 2 weeks. Your pond

cycled
unusually fast??!?!?!!?!

Honestly I have no idea what's going on with the pond. It's been filled
with water for 2 weeks, 3 days and had fish/plants for 2 weeks, 1 day.

## Usually the ammonia shows up in less than 48 hours when fish are present.
In my experience anyway.....

I've been testing ammonia and nitrites daily for the past 8 days and I
haven't seen a single drop of ammonia.

## I'm wondering about your ammonia test kit. Is it NEW and FRESH? Did you
recently purchase it at a shop where things sell quickly? There's a store
in a nearby town where stuff sits for months and months, if not years. The
companies who make these items should be required to date them.

After the fish death last week I
added some starter bacteria, for what it's worth, supposedly it was
good stuff guaranteed to be alive kept refridgerated during shipping,
etc. Maybe that has kept the ammonia at bay?

## Who can say....

Meanwhile algae has grown like crazy, and my plants look like crap. I'm
going to take the iris' out tonight and add fertilizer pellets, because
they look like they're about to give up. The water hyacinth are brown
and ugly and doses of potash haven't helped at all. The anacharis are
growing like crazy however.

## Sometimes dumping out the water and starting all over again is the only
answer. We once had some kind of disgusting blobby, slimy blue-black algae
invade our 2000 gallon pond. It was growing everywhere and on everything.
It was clogging the filter and spitter heads. It had a bad odor. We
finally drained down the pond, hosed everything off and started again. It
never came back and we never knew what it was.

## Were these feeder fish? I suppose they weren't quarantined before

you
added them to the little pond. After bringing in all kinds of parasites

in
the past I quarantine EVERYTHING I purchase now - for at least 21 days!
Even the cleanest Aquarium stores can have infested fish. I learned

that
the hard way. :-(

No, I didn't quarantine, I figured they were all new so why bother? Of
course now I see that it would be easier to disinfect the little tank
than the big pond...

## Exactly! Keep any diseases or infestations contained in a smaller tank
or tub. No use letting them lose in your pond where it's harder to
eradicate them. It's also cheaper to treat them as you'll use a lot less of
the medication. I hold them for 21 days and watch them carefully. Since
breeding my own fish I don't often purchase any anymore. :-)

I wonder if the lily I mail ordered came with some
parasites... It had some worms on it, but they fell off when I soaked
it and died after 30 minutes in the water. Maybe there were some other
buggies on there...

## There's no way to know. Some pond-plant places I've been to keep
goldfish or other fish to keep mosquitoes down. How healthy these fish are
is questionable.

## Advice will vary but I would do a partial water change and remove

the
remaining fish for treatment. I now go by the rule "If one fish has a
disease - they all have the disease."

Ok, I bought some dimlin to kill the anchor worms. We'll keep an eye on
the fish and hope they don't catch anything, if they do we'll do an
immediate treatment. I'm tempted to salt the pond, but I'd have to take
all the plants out. Not sure how much damage that would do to my
nitrogen cycling. Plus we're having a big outdoor party this weekend
and I'd like the pond to look somewhat presentable (I already have my
algae is a natural part of the balancing ecosystem speech down).

## I would definately do partial water changes .... and check out how FRESH
that ammonia kit is.

Old 27-06-2005, 07:46 PM
~Roy~

Well unlike you, I do not view anything that I have posted being
sexual content only pointing out that you need protection which is
advertidsed on TV on a daily basis..........and I also do not post nor
visit the porn sites like you do....Nor am I trolling, as I ama
referring oonly to you as a rply and not as a question or stupid
statement invoking a troll so you really do need a clue bimbo.......I
live in the backwater and swamps so foks like you are not in my
neighborhood.........besides you wold be very surprised at just what
caliber of folks that are found in my type of area..............

I hear tell in your younger years you actually new the BTK dude and
literally threw yourself at him, and he laughed at you! And only said
Yea, in your dreams..........

Now go back and finish sweeping your dirt floors!

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:24:26 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
==="~Roy~" a SICK TROLL wrote in message
et...
=== On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:52:04 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
=== wrote:
===
=== snip
=== === After bringing in all kinds of parasites in
=== ===the past I quarantine EVERYTHING
=== READ: She now uses condoms
===
===## Don't you ever get tired of TROLLING this NG? Do you ever think about
===anything besides sex?
===
=== ===
=== snipi
=== === "If one fish has a
=== ===disease - they all have the disease."
=== READ: Fish = Husbands.......
=== snip
===
===## Don't you low-class uneducated trash ever get tired of TROLLING NGs? Do
===you ever think about anything besides sex?
===
=== ===## I would treat them all. The anchor worms spread rapidly leaving
===sores
=== ===that can get infected..... that can be a mess to clean up.
===
=== READ:
=== Treat them all to divorice papers, and numerous trips to county heath
=== department is needed.
===
===## Don't you low-class underachieving trash ever get tired of TROLLING NGs?
===Do you ever think about anything besides sex? Surely professional help is
===available even in the backwaters and hollows where you slime your way
===through life.....
===
=== ==============================================
=== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
===
===## Don't you low-class underachieving uneducated trash ever get tired of
===TROLLING NGs? Do you ever think about anything besides sex?
===
=== "The original frugal ponder"
=== ~~~~ }((((o ~~~~~~ }{{{{o ~~~~~~~ }(((((o

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 27-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Reel Mckoi

"~Roy~" wrote in message

Well unlike you, I do not view anything that I have posted being
sexual content only pointing out that you need protection which is
advertidsed on TV on a daily basis.

## Which has NOTHING to do with ponds for fish. Keep your sex topics on
your sex NGs.

..........and I also do not post nor
visit the porn sites like you do....

## Yawn.........

Nor am I trolling, as I ama
referring oonly to you as a rply and not as a question or stupid
statement invoking a troll so you really do need a clue bimbo

## Binbo? So all women who keep ponds and fish are bimbos? I assume that
also applies to your wife and all the other women ponders on the NG.
Typical ignorant trash outlook on life...... doesn't surprise me at all.

........I
live in the backwater and swamps so foks like you are not in my
neighborhood........

## You live there because it's all you can afford - then you try to bring
down others to your swamp level.

..besides you wold be very surprised at just what
caliber of folks that are found in my type of area..............

## Others like yourself I'm sure who insult those living in mobile homes and
women who keep ponds and fish.

I hear tell in your younger years you actually new the BTK dude

## I hear tell in your younger years you actually knew that Linda Lovelace
babe... and it's KNEW dummy, not new.

and
literally threw yourself at him,

## And you literally threw yourself at her,

and he laughed at you! And only said
Yea, in your dreams..........

## and she laughed at you! And only said,
"Yea, in your dreams dimwit.........."

Now go back and finish sweeping your dirt floors!

## Now go back and finish sweeping your own dirt floors, that is if you
even have floors.........

Let me repeat this since you seem unusually dense as well as uneducated,
....your harassment and your juvenile trolling isn't going to get me off this
NG. You're a bore, a joke and as a troll you fail miserably. Why do you
torture yourself by reading my every post, then foaming at the mouth, eyes
and veins bulging out of your head, hands shaking - try and find something
degrading to post? Your obsession with "bimbos" is quite telling.........

Old 27-06-2005, 08:42 PM
~Roy~

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:19:24 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
==="~Roy~" wrote in message
et...
===
===
=== Well unlike you, I do not view anything that I have posted being
=== sexual content only pointing out that you need protection which is
=== advertidsed on TV on a daily basis.
===
===## Which has NOTHING to do with ponds for fish. Keep your sex topics on
===your sex NGs.

About as much business as trhe posts youy so often make with
remailers......nym shifts etc just to try and keep your head out of th
water or your ass out of the fire........and once again let me
reinterate.......ya BIMBO, or would you rather be called a BINBO, but
please tell me what a BINBO is..........

===
===.........and I also do not post nor
=== visit the porn sites like you do....
===
===## Yawn.........

Late night and long hours evading folks and trying to stay one step
ahead of things taking a toll on you BIMBO!
===
===Nor am I trolling, as I ama
=== referring oonly to you as a rply and not as a question or stupid
=== statement invoking a troll so you really do need a clue bimbo
===
===## Binbo? So all women who keep ponds and fish are bimbos? I assume that
===also applies to your wife and all the other women ponders on the NG.
===Typical ignorant trash outlook on life...... doesn't surprise me at all.

I made no other reference to any other person be it male or
female.........you were the only one i made reference
too.........Bimbo!
===

Ah, its B I M B O, stupid, not BINBO
===.......I
=== live in the backwater and swamps so foks like you are not in my
=== neighborhood........
===
===## You live there because it's all you can afford - then you try to bring
===down others to your swamp level.

So you feel lift out because of things in Dogpatch and not having a
proper floor or a large swamp has you bummed out huh? You would be
surprised what land in this area sells for, unlike the lot you have
in Dogpatch........
===
===.besides you wold be very surprised at just what
=== caliber of folks that are found in my type of area..............
===
===## Others like yourself I'm sure who insult those living in mobile homes and
===women who keep ponds and fish.
===

Have you or anyone else ever hear me attack anyone wholives in a
mobile home.......I think not, and no mention of a mobile home was
posted in my reply., I merely said togo sweepyour dirt floor. Now if
you live in a mobile home with a dirt floor, so be it, its your
perogative.......

Old 27-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Reel Mckoi

"~Roy~" wrote in message
===## Which has NOTHING to do with ponds for fish. Keep your sex

topics on
===your sex NGs.

About as much business as trhe posts youy

# What is a trhe and a youy?

so often make with
remailers.....nym shifts etc

# I don't need remailers like your good buddy does.

just to try and keep your head out of th
water or your ass out of the fire........

# Back to sex again I see.

and once again let me
reinterate.......ya BIMBO,

# Women ponders are Bimbos. I see..........

or would you rather be called a BINBO, but
please tell me what a BINBO is..........

# Same difference - Binbo or Bimbo.... in your neck of the swamps they're
evidently women ponders like those of us on this NG. You have some issues
with women and sex that are more and more obvious with each post.
Who else will you insult on this NG? You've covered women ponders and those
who live in mobile homes. Who is next?

Now I will repeat this since you seem unusually dense as well as uneducated,
....your harassment and your juvenile trolling isn't going to get me off this
NG. You're a bore, a joke and as a troll you fail miserably. Why do you
torture yourself by reading my every post, then foaming at the mouth, eyes
and veins bulging out of your head, hands shaking - try and find something
degrading to post? Your obsession with "bimbos" and woman ponders is quite
telling.........

Old 28-06-2005, 12:20 AM
San Diego Joe

Carol,

Hey, no offense, but why don't you just kill file the guy? It's easy, I did
it last winter when he was off his meds and have had a blissful time since.
You of all people should know that simply responding is what perpetuates
this crap. When someone calls you names JUST IGNORE IT, because this stuff
is starting to get a bit old.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 28-06-2005, 12:30 AM
~Roy~

Because she enjoys the attention.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:20:48 -0700, San Diego Joe
wrote:

===Carol,
===

Old 28-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Reel Mckoi

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Carol,

Hey, no offense, but why don't you just kill file the guy? It's easy, I

did
it last winter when he was off his meds and have had a blissful time

since.

** Yes Joe, I just did. I killfiled him awhile back but always give people
a second, and sometimes a third chance. This time he stays there.