Old 04-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Slug / Snail eradication suggestions?

We live in So Cal (valley area for those in the know). Our pond is
lined with plants and the slugs are getting out of control. Would put
down Bug Getta but not sure of the potential damage to the pond.

As the plants are hard to reach I would like whatever we put down to be
somewhat long lasting (not easy to get to).

All the best

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Gareee©

Ash from fires would be good to put down, dig hols and put bowls filled with
beer down to elimiate them, (Covered with a tin pieplate, or another bowl),
and the best solution, is to create a 2 inch high "wall" around the trouble
area with a strip of copper. Even once it turns green, it will still deter
them. (They react to copper with a minor electric charge!)

Some people will put pennies down, but you really need the "wall" to kep
them away.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

We live in So Cal (valley area for those in the know). Our pond is
lined with plants and the slugs are getting out of control. Would put
down Bug Getta but not sure of the potential damage to the pond.

As the plants are hard to reach I would like whatever we put down to be
somewhat long lasting (not easy to get to).
Carl

Hi Carl,

Dead Line or equivalent, may work for you. This is a liquid that sort of
looks like chocolate syrup when you apply it. You draw a circle around the
plant you wish to protect w/product. Read the label and see if it would
work for your situation.... taking into consideration location of plant and
possible runoff into pond. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Roy

Early this year we were inundated with snails and slugs. Slime trails
all over the walls of the house, slugs in feed bowls and plants being
ravihed. I bought some iron Phosphate based IIRC slug bait / killer,
which is safe to use around dogs and other critters, but it needs to
be kept out of the water. It is made by the same company that makes
Peters Plant Foods, and sold at HOme Depot. It looks like bleached out
rabbit pellets, an off white or cream color, and its just spread along
the house permineter or flowers or flower beds etc, or you can
broadcast it as well. It supposedly attracks snails and slugs, and one
bite is all that is needed. It will shut dopwn the critters system so
it can not eat or digest any food, and within 3 days will be dead. The
stuff works greata, and a alittle gores a long ways and its prett
cheap also. It lasts 6 to 8 weeks, and rain or irrigatin does not
diminish its ability to kill slugs etc. Harmless to birds as well. We
are virtually slug and snail free. I even place boards on the ground
and make slug habitats just to keep a check on them and they just are
n ot to be found anymore. I am on our 2nd time around since April with
applying this stuff and I have to give it a big thumbs up in doing
what it advertied to do.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:39:37 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===We live in So Cal (valley area for those in the know). Our pond is
===lined with plants and the slugs are getting out of control. Would put
===down Bug Getta but not sure of the potential damage to the pond.
===
===As the plants are hard to reach I would like whatever we put down to be
===somewhat long lasting (not easy to get to).
===Carl
===
===Hi Carl,
===
===Dead Line or equivalent, may work for you. This is a liquid that sort of
===looks like chocolate syrup when you apply it. You draw a circle around the
===plant you wish to protect w/product. Read the label and see if it would
===work for your situation.... taking into consideration location of plant and
===possible runoff into pond. ~ jan
===
===
===See my ponds and filter design:
===www.jjspond.us
===
=== ~Keep 'em Wet!~
=== Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
=== To e-mail see website

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 05-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Martin

Carl Beyer wrote:
We live in So Cal (valley area for those in the know). Our pond is
lined with plants and the slugs are getting out of control. Would put
down Bug Getta but not sure of the potential damage to the pond.

As the plants are hard to reach I would like whatever we put down to be
somewhat long lasting (not easy to get to).

All the best

Carl

Frogs and hedgehogs will eat them (so make a bio friendly garden), and
you can also get a biological control in the form of nematodes which you
spray onto the ground in damp weather.

Not a chemical in site
Old 06-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Carl Beyer

Thanks everyone for the info... Will see what happens in the next few
weeks..

Old 07-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Carl,

Another alternative is using a ring of diatomaceous earth where the slugs
and snails frequent. After is rains or is disturbed in any way it must be
replaced, but it is very effective.

Tom L.L.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:12 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Carl,

Another alternative is using a ring of diatomaceous earth where the slugs
and snails frequent. After is rains or is disturbed in any way it must be
replaced, but it is very effective.

============================
It can also be bought very CHEAPLY at HomeDepot. They have it in large
boxes for a fraction of what you'll pay at an Aquarium or Pond store. Be
careful not to breath it when you apply it to the garden.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 07-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Roy

Baits containing the active ingredient metaldehyde are most common.
Metaldehyde baits are particularly poisonous to dogs and cats, and the
pelleted form is especially attractive to dogs. Metaldehyde snail
baits should not be used where children and pets cannot be kept away
from them. Some metaldehyde products are formulated with carbaryl,
partly to increase the spectrum of pests controlled to include soil
and debris-dwelling insects, spiders, and sowbugs. However, carbaryl
is toxic to soil-inhabiting beneficials like ground beetles and
earthworms and should be avoided if snail and slug management is all
that is required. Metaldehyde baits containing 4% metaldehyde are
significantly more effective than those products containing only 2%
metaldehyde; however, they are also more toxic to dogs and wildlife.
Most currently available 4% products are formulated for use in
enclosed bait stations to minimize their hazard.

Avoid getting metaldehyde bait on plants, especially vegetables. Baits
containing only metaldehyde are most reliable when temperatures are
warm or following a rain when snails and slugs are active. Metaldehyde
does not kill snails and slugs directly unless they eat a substantial
amount; rather, it stimulates their mucous-producing cells to
overproduce mucous in an attempt to detoxify the bait. The cells
eventually fail and the snail dies. When it is sunny or hot, they die
from desiccation. If baiting is followed by cool and wet weather, they
may recover if they ingest a sublethal dose. Do not water heavily for
at least 3 or 4 days after bait placement; watering will reduce
effectiveness and snails may recover from metaldehyde poisoning if
high moisture conditions occur. Most metaldehyde baits break down
rapidly when exposed to sunlight; however, some paste or bullet
formulations (such as Deadline) hold up somewhat longer under
conditions of sunlight and moisture.

Diatomaceous Earth is also used for control of snails and slugs. In
areas with high humidity or moisture, irrigation or sprinklers are
used or in areas with extensive periods of rain it is rendered
ineffective at a fast rate. It poses a rish of irritation and
possible respiratory problems during application. It kills by
dehydration.

A recently registered snail and slug bait, iron phosphate (available
under many trade names including Sluggo and Escar-Go), has the
advantage of being safe for use around domestic animals, children,
birds, fish, and other wildlife and is a good choice for a garden IPM
program. Ingestion of the iron phosphate bait, even in small amounts,
will cause snails and slugs to cease feeding, although it may take
several days for the snails to die. Iron phosphate bait can be
scattered on lawns or on the soil around any vegetables, ornamentals,
or fruit trees to be protected. Iron phosphate baits may be more
effective against snails than slugs.

Garden Safe divison of Schultz makes the product that i orignally
posted about.

http://www.gardensafe.com/ProductCat...SlugSnailBait/

$6.90 for 2# bag at Home Depot. A little goes a ong way and its very
effective and long lasting. Iron Phospate is not supposed to be
harmfull to fish or pets, but on the bag its listed as a precautionary
statement.

"The original frugal ponder"

Snail eradication? Hal Ponds 13 10-05-2006 12:59 PM
More slug and snail woes Lee BARRASS United Kingdom 2 10-07-2003 11:20 AM
Slug and snail solution. Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 03-05-2003 01:56 AM
slug and snail control Snooze Gardening 16 05-03-2003 12:51 PM
slug and snail control Snooze Roses 21 04-03-2003 07:53 PM