Old 20-07-2005, 09:36 PM

Default new pond

hey all, was wondering what the best way to start a bacteria colony in
our new 4000G pond (also, when can we would be the soonest we could
start introducing koi?). we installed a fluid art ultimate system with
vortex, uv, bead filtration.. we actually live nearby a rather large
lake and wonder if that would be a good place to collect some bacteria
to introduce into our pond? if people prefer off the shelf bacteria,
which products?

thanks

Old 20-07-2005, 11:24 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 20 Jul 2005 13:36:58 -0700, wrote:

hey all, was wondering what the best way to start a bacteria colony in
our new 4000G pond (also, when can we would be the soonest we could
start introducing koi?). we installed a fluid art ultimate system with
vortex, uv, bead filtration.. we actually live nearby a rather large
lake and wonder if that would be a good place to collect some bacteria
to introduce into our pond? if people prefer off the shelf bacteria,
which products?

thanks

Bacteria from a lake would be okay, if you could be sure you weren't
getting any of the nasties that might also be in the lake.

MicrobeLift makes a special product just for bead filters. Bacteria will
come on its own. As far as starting koi, please read this:
http://tinyurl.com/55kv6 . Do NOT put goldfish in, if you want this to be a
koi only pond.

Are you planning to have any plants? If so, get as many as you can and get
them growing well and consider only putting in small koi, so they are
raised with the plants, as plants not salad. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-07-2005, 01:44 AM
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
hey all, was wondering what the best way to start a bacteria colony in
our new 4000G pond (also, when can we would be the soonest we could
start introducing koi?). we installed a fluid art ultimate system with
vortex, uv, bead filtration.. we actually live nearby a rather large
lake and wonder if that would be a good place to collect some bacteria
to introduce into our pond? if people prefer off the shelf bacteria,
which products?

thanks

I would shy away from introducing bacteria into your pond from a lake
simply because you don't know what bacteria you are introducing. You could
also introduce parasites. I use aquazyme, which works very well for me.
You should wait at least 21 days for the nitrogen cycle to run to
completion before introducing critters to your pond.

Old 21-07-2005, 02:51 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:44:40 GMT, " George" wrote:

I would shy away from introducing bacteria into your pond from a lake
simply because you don't know what bacteria you are introducing. You could
also introduce parasites. I use aquazyme, which works very well for me.
You should wait at least 21 days for the nitrogen cycle to run to
completion before introducing critters to your pond.

The nitrogen cycle changes with each additional critter. Takes much longer
without them for it to cycle, is my understanding. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 21-07-2005, 04:50 AM

even with the UV sterializer you wouldn't trust lake enzymes?

Old 21-07-2005, 12:42 PM
George

wrote:

I would shy away from introducing bacteria into your pond from a lake
simply because you don't know what bacteria you are introducing. You
could
also introduce parasites. I use aquazyme, which works very well for me.
You should wait at least 21 days for the nitrogen cycle to run to
completion before introducing critters to your pond.

The nitrogen cycle changes with each additional critter. Takes much
longer
without them for it to cycle, is my understanding. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Not really. Once the nitrifying bacteria have been established (which takes
on the average, about three weeks to a month, the pond should be able to
digest nutrients up to the carrying capacity of the system. Only when you
overstock the pond should there be a problem with ammonia or nitrites
building up. The reason not to include your fish before the nitrifying
bacteria have become established is because of the nature of the nitrogen
cycle. In a new pond, normally, you would seed it with nutrients which the
bacteria can digest. After about three days, you will begin to see ammonia
in the water. After a week to ten days, the ammonia levels will peak (and
is the time at which any introduced fish would normally start to show
ammonia poisoning). After this period, the ammonia levels will begin to
drop, indicating the the ammonia-reducing bacteria are taking hold. From
about 1 week to 10 days onward, the nitrite levels will begin to rise as
the ammonia levels drop until about 14-16 days. At which time the nitrite
levels will be at their peak (adding fish at this time can lead to their
untimely death). After this, the nitrite levels will drop, and the nitrate
levels will start to rise as the nitrite-reducing bacteria become
established. Once all nitrite levels have disappeared, then you should
only see a low level of nitrate in the water, no nitrite, and no ammonia,
indicating that the nitrite reducing bacteria have become established.
This usually occurs by day 21, but could take as long as 30 days. At this
point is it safe to slowly begin introducing your valuable fish stocks. Of
course, you don't want to introduce a large number of them all at once, or
it will overwhelm the microbes ability to digest the increased nutrients. I
hope this helps.

Old 21-07-2005, 12:44 PM
George

wrote in message
ups.com...
even with the UV sterializer you wouldn't trust lake enzymes?

A uv filter will not rid the water of paracites, once they have found a
home in pond sediments or on your fish. It only kills them in their
free-flowing stage, but by then, they've already become established in your
pond.

Old 21-07-2005, 11:53 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:49:28 GMT, " George" wrote:

"Derek Boughton" wrote in message

Hippo dung. You get Carol and her pet Baboon to crap in your pond. That
should do it

PLONK!

FYI, Derek Boughton didn't post that, you've just filtered a legit though
irregular ponding poster.... but than this thread was about filtration.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 22-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Derek Broughton

wrote:

"Derek Boughton" wrote in message

Hippo dung. You get Carol and her pet Baboon to crap in your pond. That
should do it

PLONK!

FYI, Derek Boughton didn't post that, you've just filtered a legit though
irregular ponding poster.... but than this thread was about filtration.

Thanks, but it all depends how he filtered it. By default, my program adds
the whole FROM address, in which case it doesn't match me. I figure if I
contribute anything worthwhile, there'll be followups anyway, and people
will see what I said, even if I'm in their killfiles. If I don't
contribute anything worthwhile, who cares :-)
--
derek
Old 22-07-2005, 03:33 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:54:48 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

will see what I said, even if I'm in their killfiles. If I don't
contribute anything worthwhile, who cares :-)

Obviously *I* care. ;-p

I know I just recently found I'd mistakenly dispatched some legit ponders,
so I was glad when someone pointed me in the right direction to reclaim
them. It's mid-summer, it's hot, and I don't want to miss anyone, and felt
maybe George may not want to either. Even if you don't contribute anything
worthwhile (hey, that's what you said). ;-) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-07-2005, 11:07 AM
George

wrote:

"Derek Boughton" wrote in message

Hippo dung. You get Carol and her pet Baboon to crap in your pond. That
should do it

PLONK!

FYI, Derek Boughton didn't post that, you've just filtered a legit though
irregular ponding poster.... but than this thread was about filtration.

~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

No sweat off my back. I've seen so many flaming messages posted by either
Derek or someone pretending to be Derek that it was time to start adding
that alias to my fillfile. I said a while back that if this kind of crap
continues, I was going to do this. I've tried to make contributions to
this group, and if I am to continue to do so, I certainly am not going to
let anyone fill it up with useless drivel for me to waste my time and
bandwidth wading through.

Old 24-07-2005, 04:53 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:07:31 GMT, " George" wrote:

No sweat off my back. I've seen so many flaming messages posted by either
Derek or someone pretending to be Derek that it was time to start adding
that alias to my fillfile.

That's what the trolls are hoping people will do, that's why they are
assuming regular ponder's IDs, so we'll killfile each other. You were one
of the ones I recently discovered I'd put in my file. I just thought you
might want to know who is legit. Course you may not be even seeing this, as
jjspond was being mugged the other day. :-( ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 25-07-2005, 01:49 PM
George

wrote:

No sweat off my back. I've seen so many flaming messages posted by
either
Derek or someone pretending to be Derek that it was time to start adding
that alias to my fillfile.

That's what the trolls are hoping people will do, that's why they are
assuming regular ponder's IDs, so we'll killfile each other. You were one
of the ones I recently discovered I'd put in my file. I just thought you
might want to know who is legit. Course you may not be even seeing this,
as
jjspond was being mugged the other day. :-( ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

I see it fine. The trolls can and will do what they want. All I can do is
killfile them. The people I consider to be truly interested in this
newsgroup are those who don't partake in flame wars regardless of who
starts it. I usually ignore it, but sometimes it just gets to be too
ridiculous, and I axe them.

By the way, I am working on a new personal web page, if you are interested
in looking at it. It is kind of skimpy right now, but I will be adding a
lot more to it in the near future.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/index.htm

George