Old 23-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Kirra

Default wish list was Burgundy Iceberg

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
I have not so far heard of Blushing Pink Iceberg, though my Brilliant
Pink Iceberg constnatly throws out canes bearing blooms which look like
this.

Several people have mentioned Brilliant Pink Iceberg so I'm wondering if I
should add it to my wish list as well.

I'm still compiling my wish list, it's about 10 so far, and then I'll
narrow down to five before I order ... maybe six ...

What is on your current list?

Well, I have bought five large pots to go down the side of the house. The
space isn't large but the pot idea is to get the roses closer to the sky and
out of shadow from the house and fence - not to mention I can take the pots
with me if we move. So because I have five places I want to get at least one
each of striped, OGR or Austin, and one that will last well as a cut flower.
Also because this spot will not get early morning sun I would prefer most to
be disease resistance to black spot in our humid climate but I am willing to
accept one or two divas.

Striped - Scentimental, Oranges&Lemons (not sure if I can get this in
Australia) or one of the other McGredy striped roses
OGR/Austin - Heritage, Evelyn or Chaucer
Cut Flower - Fragrant Cloud, Tropicana, Mary Delahunty
Generic - Stephen's Big Purple, Brilliant Pink Iceberg, Burgundy Icebeg, Old
Master, Granada - has anyone not been enticed by Shiva's photos

For out the front so not counted in the five - Cecile Brunner (I have three
cuttings that I "acquired" while walking the other week. If they take I
won't need to buy it). I'm also considering Tamora since it is apparently
smaller and could fit in a smaller pot out the back so also wouldn't need to
be counted in five :-)

Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Daniel Hanna

You can get all of these - some are at www.swanes.com

OGR/Austin - Heritage, Evelyn or Chaucer

Ditto. I found Evelyn rather weak but Heritage is a real trooper.
Unfortunately the blooms are delicate and shatter very quickly after
opening.

Cut Flower - Fragrant Cloud, Tropicana, Mary Delahunty

Don't know Mary but the other two are good for cutting. Watch out for
mildew on these ones.

Generic - Stephen's Big Purple, Brilliant Pink Iceberg, Burgundy
Icebeg, Old Master, Granada - has anyone not been enticed by Shiva's
photos

I'm not an Iceberg fan myself. I have been swayed by Granada (thanks to
Shiva) and I have one growing very well in a pot.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Kirra

home.com.au...

You can get all of these - some are at www.swanes.com

Thanks, I had missed it on their site. Have you ordered from swanes before?
I noticed that their prices seem higher than quite a few other mail order
places but is that because their roses are of a higher standard?

OGR/Austin - Heritage, Evelyn or Chaucer

Ditto. I found Evelyn rather weak but Heritage is a real trooper.
Unfortunately the blooms are delicate and shatter very quickly after
opening.

I really am leaning toward Heritage at the moment. Evelyn sounds nice, but
I've read in a few different places that it is not the most vigorous plant.

Cut Flower - Fragrant Cloud, Tropicana, Mary Delahunty

Don't know Mary but the other two are good for cutting. Watch out for
mildew on these ones.

Either we don't have mildew up here or I don't have any mildew prone roses.
I got a tiny bit on one of my patio roses in Spring last year but I sprayed
once and it went away. Do you have a favourite out of Fragrant Cloud or
Tropicana if I was going to get only one?

Generic - Stephen's Big Purple, Brilliant Pink Iceberg, Burgundy
Icebeg, Old Master, Granada - has anyone not been enticed by Shiva's
photos

I'm not an Iceberg fan myself. I have been swayed by Granada (thanks to
Shiva) and I have one growing very well in a pot.

I like Iceberg as a lanscape rose not necessarily for the form of each
individual flower. We live on a corner block and when we moved in there was
a very plain wooden fence down almost the full length of the long side of
our block. Our two climbing icebergs add a lot of white that can seen quite
from down the street and now the fence is not a feature. And it seems like
they are almost constantly in bloom or bud.

Thanks for your comments, Daniel.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Kirra wrote:
Thanks, I had missed it on their site. Have you ordered from swanes
before? I noticed that their prices seem higher than quite a few other
mail order places but is that because their roses are of a higher
standard?

Relatively speaking, Swanes prices are lower now than they were 9 years
ago when I first ordered from them. They are still expensive, but the
price difference does get you a good strong bush that is always true to
label.

I really am leaning toward Heritage at the moment. Evelyn sounds nice,
but I've read in a few different places that it is not the most
vigorous plant.

I had 2 Evelyns die on me! The weakness seems to be mainly in the
rooting - if you get one, pamper it but don't let it get even damp feet.
Repeat flowering is poor but the blooms are excellent until fully open.

Heritage is a very different rose bush. Its breeding has nothing in
common with Evelyn. In Sydney it will reach 2 metres without trying.
Repeat flowering is good enough to compensate for the short bloom life.

My favourite pink Austin - which really combines the best of Heritage,
Abraham Darby, Evelyn and others - is Radio Times. I recommend that to
you.

Do you have a favourite out of
Fragrant Cloud or Tropicana if I was going to get only one?

In that vermilion colour range I'd lean towards Tropicana (Superstar)
for flower form, size and longevity, but if fragrance is your first
priority Fragrant Cloud has an edge.

I have plenty of my rose reviews online at
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/djhanna/

Hope this helps.

Wilsonara Lisa Devos 'Burgundy' - can't get any more burgundy than this! Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 3 22-01-2007 04:46 PM
FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM
Burgundy Iceberg Pictures Kirra Roses 1 18-09-2003 06:03 AM
Biotech Wish List jitney sci.agriculture 24 16-04-2003 09:56 AM
Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 17 25-03-2003 10:32 PM