Old 08-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Shiva

Default Crystalline

Just a handful of the slower S&W Greenhouse bareroots are showing
their first blooms now or will be this week. Crystalline has just
produced its second pretty longstem.

Crystalline is a really pretty hybrid tea--has a pink edge in the bud
stage, something I haven't noticed in photos--form is nice, and its
very snowy white--and no water spots, but I may have gotten both buds
at just the right time. No scent, but still nice.

Coming soon: Simply Marvelous, Joseph's Coat, Outta the Blue.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Daniel Hanna

In m Shiva wrote:
Crystalline is a really pretty hybrid tea--has a pink edge in the bud
stage, something I haven't noticed in photos--form is nice, and its
very snowy white--and no water spots, but I may have gotten both buds
at just the right time. No scent, but still nice.

Interesting, I never saw a pink edge to the bud when I grew it. It is
very pretty in the bud. There is definitely no scent though.

In the end I went for white Lightnin' as it was a much more fully
petalled, long lasting and fragrant bloom.

This year I'm changing White Lightnin' for Karen Blixen, to see if she's
all she's cracked up to be. It will be nice to grow a white HT again.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Shiva

On 08 Jun 2003 07:25:40 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In the end I went for white Lightnin' as it was a much more fully
petalled, long lasting and fragrant bloom.

There seems to be no point comparing WL to other whites for those of
us who like fragrant roses! Just this minute I've got a vase full of
the lemony-scented, gorgeous things in the kitchen.

This year I'm changing White Lightnin' for Karen Blixen, to see if she's
all she's cracked up to be. It will be nice to grow a white HT again.

Are you replacing due to space constraints? If so, I sure wish we
lived in the same hemisphere, as I'd love to have your White
Lightnin'. Karen Blixen is on next year's list. I've eyed her for a
while now. Let me know how she does for you.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Kirra

This year I'm changing White Lightnin' for Karen Blixen, to see if she's
all she's cracked up to be. It will be nice to grow a white HT again.

Are you replacing due to space constraints? If so, I sure wish we
lived in the same hemisphere, as I'd love to have your White
Lightnin'. Karen Blixen is on next year's list. I've eyed her for a
while now. Let me know how she does for you.

Well, Shiva might not be in the right hemishere, but I am!

Seriously, if you are thinking of ripping it up, I'm willing to take it. We
(mother, sister-in-law and myself) are planning on doing quite a lot of rose
planting in the next month at my mother's house. We have a 2.5m x 6m bed in
her yard and another L shaped bed around the house that is probably 6m and
then 10m in length that we are going to try to fill with roses - the more
the merrier!

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Old 10-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Kirra wrote:
Seriously, if you are thinking of ripping it up, I'm willing to take
it. We (mother, sister-in-law and myself) are planning on doing quite
a lot of rose planting in the next month at my mother's house. We have
a 2.5m x 6m bed in her yard and another L shaped bed around the house
that is probably 6m and then 10m in length that we are going to try to
fill with roses - the more the merrier!

Kirra, I am sorry... as soon as some of my workmates heard of potential
hand-me-downs, I got swamped with requests! The details are in my June
rose diary at http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/

I'm axing Hot Chocolate as well.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Kirra

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...
Kirra, I am sorry... as soon as some of my workmates heard of potential
hand-me-downs, I got swamped with requests! The details are in my June
rose diary at http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/

I'm axing Hot Chocolate as well.

No, worries. Actually I was trying to work out whether the postage would
cost more than a bare root anyway

Thanks for your web site too. I often go there to read your diary and
reviews. I also used your nursery pages to look at various on line nurseries
for my order later this week. I'll be ordering from Swanes, Hedge Row and
maybe Treloar. I didn't know about Hedge Row until reading your web site and
they have a great selection of OGR as well as modern varieties.

Thanks,

Kirra

Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Shiva

On 10 Jun 2003 09:42:22 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

I'm axing Hot Chocolate as well.

Once again, Daniel, is it because of space considerations? I saw this
one in bloom and loved it.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Daniel Hanna

In m Shiva wrote:
Once again, Daniel, is it because of space considerations? I saw this
one in bloom and loved it.

Shiva, I'd give Hot Chocolate the benefit of the doubt for a couple more
years if I had the space.... but in all honesty I've been disappointed
in this one.

The bloom colour is quite amazing, but the bloom form is a mess and
there are so few of them. No real fragrance either. It's one of those
strong, shapeless bushes that is, frankly, all bush and no rose.

I'd recommend it for rose history lovers, but only because the colour
was a real innovation back in 86 when it was released in New Zealand.