Old 10-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Shiva

Default Radio Times!

Anybody else growing this sweet little Austin? Mine is recovering from
having been mowed over, it is a tiny baby from Muncy's but had a great
bloom on it today. Nice fragrance, too. It's a clear, cool raspberry
pink so far. I like it!
Old 10-07-2003, 02:34 AM
Kirra

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...
Anybody else growing this sweet little Austin? Mine is recovering from
having been mowed over, it is a tiny baby from Muncy's but had a great
bloom on it today. Nice fragrance, too. It's a clear, cool raspberry
pink so far. I like it!

Does buying Radio Times in a pot two weeks ago count as growing it? It is
hopefully going to be planted in the ground this weekend and only has around
3 inches of growth.

I'm looking forward to getting lots of blooms from our new roses but since
it is the middle of winter here, I think I will be waiting at least until
spring for most of them. Though yesterday I did notice a bud each on
Crepuscule and Gruss an Aachen.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Zone 10

Old 10-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Shiva

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:22:00 +1000, "Kirra"
wrote:

Does buying Radio Times in a pot two weeks ago count as growing it?

Sure!

It is
hopefully going to be planted in the ground this weekend and only has around
3 inches of growth.

Mine was a nice 1 gallon own root from Muncy's in FL last fall, made
it through the winter fine in the ground, then got mowed. :0( So you
and I are at about the same place with this rose.

I'm looking forward to getting lots of blooms from our new roses but since
it is the middle of winter here, I think I will be waiting at least until
spring for most of them.

This always gets me. I always forget there is another hemisphere! Or
at least that there are opposite season running concurrently. How
interesting that you can get potted roses in the winter! What is
winter like where you are? As in how cold does it get and how long
does it last? When will it be safe to put your RT in the ground? We
can compare notes on grafted/own root, US southeast, Australia/?

Though yesterday I did notice a bud each on
Crepuscule and Gruss an Aachen.

I have imagined that I want both of these, in my more fragile moods.
:0) Generally I leave pale colors alone. Crepuscle's name gets
me--"twilight" or something similar. Very nice.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Zone 10

Old 11-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Kirra

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...
It is
hopefully going to be planted in the ground this weekend and only has

around
3 inches of growth.

Mine was a nice 1 gallon own root from Muncy's in FL last fall, made
it through the winter fine in the ground, then got mowed. :0( So you
and I are at about the same place with this rose.

Ouch! Maybe you need to put stakes and ropes around it to ensure that it
does not get mowed next time

I'm looking forward to getting lots of blooms from our new roses but

since
it is the middle of winter here, I think I will be waiting at least until
spring for most of them.

This always gets me. I always forget there is another hemisphere! Or
at least that there are opposite season running concurrently. How
interesting that you can get potted roses in the winter!

We can get potted roses all year round. Since we have mild winters, some of
the local nurseries pot their bare roots up so that they do not dry out
before they are sold. It also means that they have a head start by the time
that you buy/plant them. We still get bare roots from mail order and from
other nurseries and chain stores.

What is winter like where you are? As in how cold does it
get and how long does it last?

As I said winters are very mild here. It's early July (mid winter) and I am
wearing jeans and a shirt with just a woolen coat for going outside in the
mornings. I probably won't even wear the coat at lunch time when I go
outside. The coldest minimum temperature last year was 4C (39F) and probably
the same this year so we do not even get below freezing. A 'cold' winter's
day in Brisbane is around 15C (59F)- you might need a scarf as well as a
jacket. Our forcast for today is 12-23C (53-72F) and is typical of a warmer
winter's day. I live close to the coast but further inland they do get below
freezing with some frosts.

Acck! in looking up today's forcast I noticed we are scheduled for a low of
3C and max of 14C next week. The days either side of that will also be
cooler but we only have 1 or 2 days of 'cold' weather :-)

Until I was 17 I had never seen snow. I still have not seen fresh snow
because I saw my only snow in our alpine region during late spring. Even our
'alpine' region is zone 7 and is over a thousand kilometres from where I
live. I keep saying some time I am going to take a holiday in winter and
learn to ski!

When will it be safe to put your RT in the ground? We can compare notes on
grafted/own root, US southeast, Australia/?

Since our winter here is probably warmer than your spring I can plant all
throughout winter. Our first bare root roses turn up at the end of autumn
and are on sale until the end of winter. Once it gets to spring I think it
is too hot to plant bare roots. Besides minis, patio roses and some young
cuttings, I do not have any roses on their own roots. All the roses I have
seen on sale in my area are grafted - not counting minis and patio roses.
There is a mail order nursery from Victoria that does do own roots but even
then, it is only a small selection and they seem to be OGR rather than HTs
or Austins.

Though yesterday I did notice a bud each on
Crepuscule and Gruss an Aachen.

I have imagined that I want both of these, in my more fragile moods.
:0) Generally I leave pale colors alone. Crepuscle's name gets
me--"twilight" or something similar. Very nice.

I think both pale and vibrant roses have a place in my garden I like the
subtelty of the pale flowers but then again it is the vibrant ones that
catch your eye and make you go back for a second look. I like all the photos
that I have seen of Crepuscule's canes covered in orangey/apricoty, floppy
flowers.

Sorry, this ended up much longer than I originally anticipated. Also I tried
my best on the rough conversions from C to F but realise they will be a
little out.

Speaking of conversions, I wanted to try out the baking soda and oil spray
but could only find recipees for gallon not litres. I checked a conversion
page and it said that to times it by 3. I couldn't work out why it was
recommending using 3 tablespoons of bi-carb to a litre of water! It just
seemed to much so I went for Daniel's milk spray. Thankfully I did because I
just found out that it was saying times a litre by three to get a gallon - I
was supposed to divide the recipe by 3 to get a litre! My roses would have
cooked for sure.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Daniel Hanna

In m Shiva wrote:
Anybody else growing this sweet little Austin? Mine is recovering from
having been mowed over, it is a tiny baby from Muncy's but had a great
bloom on it today. Nice fragrance, too. It's a clear, cool raspberry
pink so far. I like it!

Shiva, this is my favourite pink Austin. And there's nothing 'little'
about it! If it behaves like mine, it will outgrow and outbloom Abraham
Darby. I like the fragrance better too - it can really fill a room when
cut. Which reminds me to mention that the cut blooms are long-life too.

Its one major Achilles heel is mildew. Prepare to spray like mad this
autumn.

My notes on this rose are at:
http://members.optushome.com.au/djha...#Radio%20Times
Old 11-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Shiva

On 11 Jul 2003 10:55:28 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

Shiva, this is my favourite pink Austin. And there's nothing 'little'
about it! If it behaves like mine, it will outgrow and outbloom Abraham
Darby. I like the fragrance better too - it can really fill a room when
cut. Which reminds me to mention that the cut blooms are long-life too.

Oh, man, this is great! I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that
any Austins have long vase lives! Thanks for letting me know. Hope it
grows as well here.

Its one major Achilles heel is mildew. Prepare to spray like mad this
autumn.

Daniel, you so funny! You only get mildew in the fall? Lucky dog. If
it will just stay dry enough, I am prepared to make spraying the
central activity of my gardening, if enough of my roses live. I am
still finding horrible canker--some now on the young own roots, but it
is way out on long spindly canes, not close to the crown so I can cut
it off easily. Interestingly, the canker on them starts yellow then
goes brown.

My notes on this rose are at:
http://members.optushome.com.au/djha...#Radio%20Times

How did I miss your lovely web site? Good job on the layout and the
many choices you made to creat such a pleasant, user-friendly effect.
I definitely have to find more time to browse. I'll look it all over
next free hour.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:36:21 +1000, "Kirra"
wrote:

Ouch! Maybe you need to put stakes and ropes around it to ensure that it
does not get mowed next time

Done. But the mowing (which also took out a mini of great sentimental
value, nameless as it was) is a good argument for Cass' habit (if I
recall correctly) of keeping these baby ownroots in pots until they
reach a reasonable or at least reasonably visible size. Or it may be
an argument for doing own's own mowing, but that's just silly. g

We can get potted roses all year round.

Oooo. Imagine me looking at you with the slitty green eyes of envy.
Hiss! On the other hand, if I could get potted roses year round I'd be
even more broke than I stay now.

[...]

As I said winters are very mild here. It's early July (mid winter) and I am
wearing jeans and a shirt with just a woolen coat for going outside in the
mornings. I probably won't even wear the coat at lunch time when I go
outside. The coldest minimum temperature last year was 4C (39F) and probably
the same this year so we do not even get below freezing. A 'cold' winter's
day in Brisbane is around 15C (59F)- you might need a scarf as well as a
jacket. Our forcast for today is 12-23C (53-72F) and is typical of a warmer
winter's day. I live close to the coast but further inland they do get below
freezing with some frosts.

Sounds like rose growing heaven to me, at least from the standpoint of
winter kill. Tell me, do your roses go dormant at all? If not, when do
you prune? And have you heard that roses there have a shorter
lifespan? I have heard somewhere that in places where they do not go
dormant they do not last as long. Not sure it is true and very sure I
don't understand it.

Until I was 17 I had never seen snow. I still have not seen fresh snow
because I saw my only snow in our alpine region during late spring. Even our
'alpine' region is zone 7 and is over a thousand kilometres from where I
live. I keep saying some time I am going to take a holiday in winter and
learn to ski!

Snow here is a big holiday! We stay in and take off work and drink hot
chocolate. Up in New York and similar colder places, when it snows and
the snow accumulates they set their jaws and yank out the heavy
machinery and salt trucks and such, and proceed on their way. They are
very proud of this. I personally like staying home and drinking hot
choc!

When will it be safe to put your RT in the ground? We can compare notes on
grafted/own root, US southeast, Australia/?

Since our winter here is probably warmer than your spring I can plant all
throughout winter. Our first bare root roses turn up at the end of autumn
and are on sale until the end of winter. Once it gets to spring I think it
is too hot to plant bare roots.

We might be able to compare notes on heat-loving roses, then. Our
summers start at the end of may and go through September, stay
85-110F. Some of my roses just shut down, and if they bloom at all the
blooms are small and sad. I need fragrance, though. Seems like many of
the ones that like heat are not fragrant.

Besides minis, patio roses and some young
cuttings, I do not have any roses on their own roots. All the roses I have
seen on sale in my area are grafted - not counting minis and patio roses.
There is a mail order nursery from Victoria that does do own roots but even
then, it is only a small selection and they seem to be OGR rather than HTs
or Austins.

Sounds like you like the modern roses, as I do--although not
exclusively. I like a few OGRs I have seen, but very few I have grown.
It's all a matter of personal preference.

I think both pale and vibrant roses have a place in my garden I like the
subtelty of the pale flowers but then again it is the vibrant ones that
catch your eye and make you go back for a second look. I like all the photos
that I have seen of Crepuscule's canes covered in orangey/apricoty, floppy
flowers.

Yeah, me too. It photographs great!

Sorry, this ended up much longer than I originally anticipated. Also I tried
my best on the rough conversions from C to F but realise they will be a
little out.

Kirra, just the fact that you made the effort puts me--and most
Americans--to shame. We were supposed to start learning metric and
celsius 20 years ago, but not many but scientists even tried.

Speaking of conversions, I wanted to try out the baking soda and oil spray
but could only find recipees for gallon not litres. I checked a conversion
page and it said that to times it by 3. I couldn't work out why it was
recommending using 3 tablespoons of bi-carb to a litre of water! It just
seemed to much so I went for Daniel's milk spray. Thankfully I did because I
just found out that it was saying times a litre by three to get a gallon - I
was supposed to divide the recipe by 3 to get a litre! My roses would have
cooked for sure.

For the future--check out the International rose-growing sections of
Garden Web--I think there is one for Australians. You can ask
questions there of others who may face the same puzzles.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Old 14-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Kirra

s.com...
wrote:

Ouch! Maybe you need to put stakes and ropes around it to ensure that it
does not get mowed next time

Done. But the mowing (which also took out a mini of great sentimental
value, nameless as it was) is a good argument for Cass' habit (if I
recall correctly) of keeping these baby ownroots in pots until they
reach a reasonable or at least reasonably visible size. Or it may be
an argument for doing own's own mowing, but that's just silly. g

Do you think that the mini can grow back from the roots (presuming of course
that it is own root)? I also don't do my own mowing but I do the washing and
vacuuming in return.

We can get potted roses all year round.

Oooo. Imagine me looking at you with the slitty green eyes of envy.
Hiss! On the other hand, if I could get potted roses year round I'd be
even more broke than I stay now.

I just bought around 55 roses (spread between 3 people) all potted over the
last month. It is expensive but as my sister-in-law said, they have a head
start and we'll get blooms sooner. They were in larger pots than from a
hardware store anyway.

[...]

Yep, no worry about frosts killing off any new growth - only forgeting to
water and having them wilt! As to dormancy, this is my first winter with
roses but the freesias (sunsprite) are currently in the middle of their
biggest flush since last spring. I think the only dormancy they get is in
the middle of summer when it is too hot! As to how long they will last - I
guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Snow here is a big holiday! We stay in and take off work and drink hot
chocolate. Up in New York and similar colder places, when it snows and
the snow accumulates they set their jaws and yank out the heavy
machinery and salt trucks and such, and proceed on their way. They are
very proud of this. I personally like staying home and drinking hot
choc!

We drink hot chocolate anyway! A colleague at work (from England) jokes that
Brisbane is one of the coldest places in the world because there are not
enough cold nights for any one to purchase heating. If it is 3C outside it
is 3C inside

We might be able to compare notes on heat-loving roses, then. Our
summers start at the end of may and go through September, stay
85-110F. Some of my roses just shut down, and if they bloom at all the
blooms are small and sad. I need fragrance, though. Seems like many of
the ones that like heat are not fragrant.

My iceburgs and freesias bloomed right through without too much of a break.
Sometimes it seems that summer is from October to May. We got 30C (86F) one
day in June this year! It is consistently hot from Novemeber through to
March with temperatures mainly 23-34C (73-93) with a few days up in the high
30s (93-103F) with lots of humidity. Sounds like your summers are hotter
than ours - is it very humid where you are as well?

Sounds like you like the modern roses, as I do--although not
exclusively. I like a few OGRs I have seen, but very few I have grown.
It's all a matter of personal preference.

Yes, I do like modern roses. A year ago I would have said I liked them
exclusively. I did not even like Austins. But then after a while, I started
seeing posts from people on this news group and both the OGR and austins
have grown on me. Of the 55 roses we purchased it is almost split evenly
between floribundas, hybrid teas, austins and OGR. Due to the humid
conditions here, I also wanted to check out if the noisettes and teas are as
disease resistant as claimed. Since they have only been in the ground for a
day, I'll just have to wait and see.

I think both pale and vibrant roses have a place in my garden I like

the
subtelty of the pale flowers but then again it is the vibrant ones that
catch your eye and make you go back for a second look. I like all the

photos
that I have seen of Crepuscule's canes covered in orangey/apricoty,

floppy
flowers.

Yeah, me too. It photographs great!

Hopefully some day soon, I'll be the one taking the photographs.

Sorry, this ended up much longer than I originally anticipated. Also I

tried
my best on the rough conversions from C to F but realise they will be a
little out.

Kirra, just the fact that you made the effort puts me--and most
Americans--to shame. We were supposed to start learning metric and
celsius 20 years ago, but not many but scientists even tried.

People sometimes still use imperial, especially the older generation
But seriously, it is often easier when refering to small dimension to say a
couple of inches rather than 5cms.

For the future--check out the International rose-growing sections of
Garden Web--I think there is one for Australians. You can ask
questions there of others who may face the same puzzles.

I had a look and it had some interesting threads. Good to see that they
mention some rose nurseries that I can actually order from!

Kirra