Old 20-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Tom Sherwood

Default Bride's Dream must go

my bride's dream grows quite well and produces lots of blooms....but the
blooms rarely open. it is probably botrytis, and my regular spray program
doesn't keep it in check. i live near santa cruz, ca, and we have cool
wet/foggy nights and warm days. since i grow my roses for cutting, bride's
dream has been a disappointment even though the few blooms i can pick are
beatuiful. now for my question: i am looking for a light pink to replace
bd. any suggestions? the new zealand in my edmunds catalog looks good, but
they tell me it balls much like bd. i have read that audrey hepburn and
royal highness may do good in this climate, but i can't find them in my
catalogs. do you know anything about those two?
tia
tom

Old 21-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Scopata Fuori

"Tom Sherwood" wrote in message
my bride's dream grows quite well and produces lots of blooms....but the
blooms rarely open. it is probably botrytis, and my regular spray program
doesn't keep it in check.

BD has got to be the single most prolific, classic HT in my garden, bar
none. But I am on the East Coast, although we have had endless rain here,
all year, punctuated by just enough sunlight for them to grow.

It is worth trying a different fungicide, to see if it makes a difference.
Botrytis has been my number one enemy this year too; Messenger is highly
effective against blackspot, but has little effect upon botrytis, at least
in my experience.

BD is such a good rose, that it's worth a try, with different sprays. If you
are successful, please post what you used, and the results, because I have
been absolutely bedeviled with botrytis, too. Bride's Dream, however, has
been relatively resistant here to the worst of the botrytis attacks, nowhere
near as bad as some of them. But, that's just my observation, in this
locale. It's just too good of a rose to let go without a fight.

Scopata Fuori

Old 21-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Radika

Tom Sherwood wrote:
my bride's dream grows quite well and produces lots of blooms....but the
blooms rarely open. it is probably botrytis, and my regular spray program
doesn't keep it in check. i live near santa cruz, ca, and we have cool
wet/foggy nights and warm days. since i grow my roses for cutting, bride's
dream has been a disappointment even though the few blooms i can pick are
beatuiful. now for my question: i am looking for a light pink to replace
bd. any suggestions? the new zealand in my edmunds catalog looks good, but
they tell me it balls much like bd. i have read that audrey hepburn and
royal highness may do good in this climate, but i can't find them in my
catalogs. do you know anything about those two?

Tom, I don't know about Audrey Hepburn or Royal Highness, but one rose
that does very well in our Zone 15 garden without any of the balling
problems of Bride's Dream but is of very similar coloration is Sheer
Bliss. It is wonderfully fragrant, very prolific, never gets rust or
powdery mildew (the two most common fungal diseases in this part of the
South Bay) and is easily available in local nurseries (in the bare-root
season) and also from J & P.

Here is an entry from HelpMeFind:
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=5713

In our garden, that is what Sheer Bliss looks like, the colour and all.
Here is another web entry where the person says that SB does not get
blackspot either (though I can't tell where the gardener lives) whose SB
picture shows a much deeper pink than I have ever seen:

http://home.att.net/~cordelli/sheerblis.html

--
Radika
Santa Clara Valley

Old 22-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Shiva

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:03:49 -0400, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

BD has got to be the single most prolific, classic HT in my garden, bar
none. But I am on the East Coast, although we have had endless rain here,
all year, punctuated by just enough sunlight for them to grow.

Wow. This rose has done well THIS YEAR on the east coast?? I might
need to have it. Are you in the south (please pardon my bad memory)?

[...]
It's just too good of a rose to let go without a fight.

This is great to know. I have always been repelled by this rose
because of its name. You know, the vision of the blushing young bride
whose every hope and dream for life hangs on her new husband. *gag*

Why is there not a GROOM"S dream, do you think? Or is that another
name for "X-rated?" LOL! Sorry, I just amuse the hell out of myself at
times.

I'd love to know what other roses have done well for you this year.

Scopata Fuori

Old 23-09-2003, 11:05 PM
FOW

My BD took 4 years to get going. It grows 6-7 ft tall.
Needs some hot sun to flower out.
. ..

Old 30-09-2003, 08:02 PM
NTANTIQUES

my bride's dream grows quite well and produces lots of blooms....but the
blooms rarely open. it is probably botrytis, and my regular spray program
doesn't keep it in check. i live near santa cruz, ca, and we have cool
wet/foggy nights and warm days. since i grow my roses for cutting, bride's
dream has been a disappointment even though the few blooms i can pick are
beatuiful. now for my question: i am looking for a light pink to replace
bd. any suggestions? the new zealand in my edmunds catalog looks good, but
they tell me it balls much like bd. i have read that audrey hepburn and
royal highness may do good in this climate, but i can't find them in my
catalogs. do you know anything about those two?
tia
tom

For a disease resistant light pink with a fabulous scent, I'd suggest Frederic
Mistral. I put two in a couple of years ago and am thrilled with their
performance. I'm in the SF East Bay valley, so it's hotter than Santa Cruz,
but the one I gave my sister in Mt. Shasta has performed well too - under very
different conditions.

I too have problem with bud rot on my New Zealand, but no problems at all with
Frederic Mistral-and I break all the rules. These roses get only morning sun
and are watered from above by the lawn sprinklers. By all rights, they should
be a mess, but they keep cranking out fabulous long stemmed blooms that are
perfect for cutting. My only caveat is that it needs space - it really gets
big - ok with me, because it gives me plenty to bring into the house without
stripping the bush.
NT
NT