Old 03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Mary Lou

Default shade

BlankAre there any roses that do well in partial shade?

Mary Lou

Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Gail Futoran

"Mary Lou" wrote in message
Are there any roses that do well in partial shade?

Mary Lou

Living in a very sunny area, I don't have much experience
with the shade problem but a google search revealed one link
that appears to have some useful information:
http://www.gardencountry.com/pages/shadeflwrs.html

You might also do a google search of newsgroups since the
question does arise. http://groups.google.com/

A recent (September or October '03 IIRC) issue of American
Rose Society magazine listed roses that do well or ok in
partial shade, but I'm afraid I passed the issue on to a
friend who has a shade problem, so I no longer have the
information available.

You might also check with local nurseries. If you can find
one or more that stock a lot of roses, they might be able to
give you advice. Botanical gardens are another potential
source of useful information.

Good luck.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Mary Lou wrote:
BlankAre there any roses that do well in partial shade?

Shady Lady is a variety that was named for its shade performance.
Otherwise, just focus on varieties that tend to be tall and vigorous.
They can survive better in a little shade because of their ability to
put on relatively more foliage and stems.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Kirra

"Mary Lou" wrote in message ...
BlankAre there any roses that do well in partial shade?

Mary Lou

Hi Mary Lou,

I did a google search on "shade roses" and there are quite a few results.

One really good one (that didn't say don't bother) was http://logos.goodnews.net/~kkrugh/rose/shade1.htm written by Kent B. Krugh. He talks about which roses he has had the best success with in partial shade: "The hybrid musks I grow (Danae, Felicia, Penelope, Moonlight, and especially Ballerina) as well as Gruss an Aachen are my best repeat blooming roses that receive partial sun/shade."

He goes on to do tables of suggested shade tolerant roses from various books ordered by rose type. At the bottom he then has a table of the most frequently recommended roses for shade. This web page seems to be comprehensive and a good place to start.

Happy rose hunting!

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Old 13-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Baracuda

--

Hi Mary Lou,
Hi I did a google research on shade roses and I'm wondering if you can