Old 03-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Sandy

Default support for roses

Any ideas on supporting a very large,heavy Ceile Brunner climbing rose? The
wood lattice that it was growing on broke and had to be taken down. Now the
rose, which is growing next to my wooden garden shed, is bent over in an arc
to the ground. Should I trim it (I'd hate to cut back all those years of
growth) and train the new branches upward? If so, what can I use for
support? Thanks for any advice. S

Old 03-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Gail Futoran

"Sandy" wrote in message
Any ideas on supporting a very large,heavy Ceile Brunner

climbing rose? The
wood lattice that it was growing on broke and had to be

taken down. Now the
rose, which is growing next to my wooden garden shed, is

bent over in an arc
to the ground. Should I trim it (I'd hate to cut back all

those years of
growth) and train the new branches upward? If so, what can

I use for
support? Thanks for any advice. S

One idea is to make a trellis out of re-bar. A frequent
member here (although I haven't seen his posts lately), Bob
Bauer, has at various times posted detailed descriptions.
If you go to google groups, search on this newsgroup and his
name or the subject "re-bar" over the past couple of years,
you should be able to find his posts.
http://groups.google.com/

HTH - Gail

Old 03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Sandy

Thanks so much, Gail! I found the articles and printed them out-you made it
so easy. The hard part will be deciding whether to trim the arching branches
or try to hoist them up to the new trellis. (not easy with all the thorns!)
Thanks again. S

Old 03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:18:00 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

Thanks so much, Gail! I found the articles and printed them out-you made it
so easy. The hard part will be deciding whether to trim the arching branches
or try to hoist them up to the new trellis. (not easy with all the thorns!)
Thanks again. S

Why not leave it as a large mound and train the new growth that will
ultimately grow to grow up the trellis? You can probably help it along
by bending some of the old growth into exaggerated archs. Supposedly,
this engourages new growth. I know that *my* Cecile Brunner (CL) has
tons of new sweeling buds all along the older canes already. It's a
very vigorous plant indeed...

Old 03-03-2004, 07:32 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:40:32 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:18:00 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

Thanks so much, Gail! I found the articles and printed them out-you made it
so easy. The hard part will be deciding whether to trim the arching branches
or try to hoist them up to the new trellis. (not easy with all the thorns!)
Thanks again. S

Why not leave it as a large mound and train the new growth that will
ultimately grow to grow up the trellis? You can probably help it along
by bending some of the old growth into exaggerated archs. Supposedly,
this engourages new growth. I know that *my* Cecile Brunner (CL) has
tons of new sweeling buds all along the older canes already. It's a
very vigorous plant indeed...

Damn, looks like I needed more coffee...

chuckle
Old 04-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Sandy

I'll second that one! (the coffee!). Ha. But, seriously, thanks for your
advice. When I bought the Ceile Brunner, I didn't realize it would grow so
large and heavy or I wouldn't have made the mistake of using a flimsy wooden
lattice for the support.
My CB rose only blooms once although I've read that they often bloom a
second time near the fall. How about yours? Thanks again. Sandy

Old 04-03-2004, 03:05 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:48:36 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

I'll second that one! (the coffee!). Ha. But, seriously, thanks for your
advice. When I bought the Ceile Brunner, I didn't realize it would grow so
large and heavy or I wouldn't have made the mistake of using a flimsy wooden
lattice for the support.
My CB rose only blooms once although I've read that they often bloom a
second time near the fall. How about yours? Thanks again. Sandy

Mine stays in bloom almost the whole season (with some periods of rest
of course). I even have photos of blooms in November!

I hope you decide to leave the bulk of it the way it is (well, hope
isn't the right word). I just think that having such a huge base would
make a *really* impressive mass of plant, and you could *still* grow
upward.

In fact, that's what I'm guessing is going to happen with mine in a
few years. Mine is growing up a dead fairly petite sugar maple. I just
worry about the main trunk crashing down on the plant at some point. I
don't want to trim it yet though, because the top branches really
allow the plant to spread out and form a pseudo-canopy.

If you go to this page, you can see some shots. I have a couple of
mid-season shots an early season shot, and a shot of the plant about 2
months after planting two seasons ago. And yes, you can see the
November bloomings. That was in the winter of 2002. last year's
November blooming wasn't all that great.

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/roses&page=3

Old 04-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Sandy

I agree with you, Dave, about not pruning any branches. Now I'm curious
about why my rose blooms only once, with maybe a few intermittent blooms
later in the season. I'm thinking that maybe I should increase/change the
fertilizer applications. I've been using only Epson Salts for this purpose,
since I try to use only organic materials on my plants. My rose is against
the side of my garden shed with a Kousa Dogwood tree in front of the
rosebush. The rose has partially climbed onto the dogwood, similar to your
rose.
Your pictures are wonderful! Thanks. Sandy

Old 04-03-2004, 06:31 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:32:02 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

I agree with you, Dave, about not pruning any branches. Now I'm curious
about why my rose blooms only once, with maybe a few intermittent blooms
later in the season. I'm thinking that maybe I should increase/change the
fertilizer applications. I've been using only Epson Salts for this purpose,
since I try to use only organic materials on my plants.

I wouldn't worry too much about it actually. There are supposedly both
kinds of climbers, once-blooming and ever-blooming. In fact, there's
some question as to whether they're both actually CB.

If all you are using is Epson Salts though, I'd recommend getting some
alfalfa meal, blood meal, bone meal and fish emulsion to augment.
Plus, a good heaping of compost is a good idea as well. Work all of
those well into the soil and put a light layer of mulch over all of
it.

I happen to use commercial fertilzers as well (Osmocote initially,
then the occasional Miracle-Gro type liquid periodically - I also add
more Osmocote about mid-way through the season). But that's something
that you have decided to forgo and that's cool. It probably won't
change the bloom cycle since that's probably genetically programmed in
your case. I wouldn't necessarily say this for all roses, but this
variety definitely has a once-blooming version, and that's probably
what you have.

My rose is against
the side of my garden shed with a Kousa Dogwood tree in front of the
rosebush. The rose has partially climbed onto the dogwood, similar to your
rose.
Your pictures are wonderful! Thanks. Sandy

Thanks, Sandy.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Sandy

I marked down the types of natural fertilizers that you mentioned. I'm going
to use them as soon as the weather warms up a bit here in Pa. Thanks. Sandy