Old 25-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Shiva

Default I think I did a B-A-A-A-D thing ...

I have one hybrid rugosa, Hansa. It is
terribly, terribly ugly for most of the year,
just brown sticks. While pruning my lovely sprouting
floribundas, hts, shrubs, etc., I could not stand
its long spidery death-brown "canes" for another
instant and I hard pruned it into a nice little
shrubby shape. There is NO sign of any growth
on the thing, typical of it at this time of year.

How much damage did I do?

Old 26-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Charles Perry

Shiva wrote:

I have one hybrid rugosa, Hansa...

...How much damage did I do?

Probably just cosmetic damage. Hansa and her close Rugosa
cousins like to be let alone, at least in my Northern climate.
The finest specimin of Hansa that I have ever seen was growing
unattended on the grounds of an abandoned building on the shore
of Lake Superior.

In my own garden, I had some rugosa bushes that did quite well on
30 years of neglect until I decided that it was time to give them
attention. I pruned and then did not like the looks of them, so
I gave them fertilizer to encourage them to grow back. They
responded with water sprout growth that was sparce and awkward
looking. I should have confined my pruning to trimming dead wood
and then I should have let them regrow at their own deliberate
pace.

I doubt if you did any serious damage, but it may take a while
for the plant to grow back gracefully.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 27-03-2004, 04:08 AM
farmgal

I have Hansa also, and mine also looks twiggy and half dead most of the
time. I'd been thinking of pruning, but have heard not to prune or fertilize
Rugosas. After reading your tale, I guess I'll just be content with the
scraggly growth I get...

---

Old 30-03-2004, 06:02 AM
L.S.Lamey

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:13:45 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

I have one hybrid rugosa, Hansa. It is
terribly, terribly ugly for most of the year,
just brown sticks. While pruning my lovely sprouting
floribundas, hts, shrubs, etc., I could not stand
its long spidery death-brown "canes" for another
instant and I hard pruned it into a nice little
shrubby shape. There is NO sign of any growth
on the thing, typical of it at this time of year.

How much damage did I do?

Hello Shiva my sweet. It's been a long time. I live in Colorado now,
single dad, Doing good...if ya know what I mean. How have you been?

WB
Old 01-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Shiva

Charles Perry wrote:

Shiva wrote:

I have one hybrid rugosa, Hansa...

...How much damage did I do?

Probably just cosmetic damage. Hansa and her close Rugosa
cousins like to be let alone, at least in my Northern climate.
The finest specimin of Hansa that I have ever seen was growing
unattended on the grounds of an abandoned building on the shore
of Lake Superior.

You know, Charles, I think part of the problem
with mine is that it just gets too hot here
for it to be happy. Larry, another poster here,
says his stays in bloom and is care free. Mine
blooms once then squeezes out a few while looking
really ugly--lots of brown leaves, though I
baby it.

In my own garden, I had some rugosa bushes that did quite well on
30 years of neglect until I decided that it was time to give them
attention.

Good to know.I love the wrinkly foliage and the blooms
on this one, but I'm just not sure it is a hot weather
rose. It is only maybe in its third year now, so I'll
give it more time and try not to hack on it.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Shiva

farmgal wrote:

I have Hansa also, and mine also looks twiggy and half dead most of the
time.

Does cal.net stand for "california," at least in
part?? Are you in the southern part?

I'd been thinking of pruning, but have heard not to prune or fertilize
Rugosas. After reading your tale, I guess I'll just be content with the
scraggly growth I get...

Whoa, no fertilizer either? I do feed mine, not foliar,
just regular organics and granular slow release.

Other rugosa growers, what about ferilizing?

Old 01-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Shiva

L.S.Lamey wrote:

Hello Shiva my sweet.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been a long time.

It has! It's always wonderful to see you
around.

I live in Colorado now,
single dad, Doing good...if ya know what I mean.

I think I do, and I'm really glad. I think about
you often, and bet that handsome boy is big now!
This email works, maybe I'll get a pic or two?

How have you been?

All kinds of good comes my way. I stand amazed, and
just try to keep up. Working a lot, but when you
really love your work it is a whole different
deal. I see the "workaholic" charge in a whole
new light now. Like, "if you don't want me to
work all the time, please me more than working
does." But of course, I don't have children. So
I have nobody with a legitimate reason to demand
time of me.

Thanks for saying hello, Lamey! Let me hear
from you in my mailbox when you have the
time. Give N a big hug from a secret admirer!

WB