Old 26-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Kirra

Default Summer '03/'04 wind down and pictures

Hi,

Well, while those of you in the northern hemisphere are just warming up from
your winter, those of us in the southern hemisphere are (thankfully!)
starting to cool down a bit from our summer. It has been a very hot and
humid summer here in Brisbane. One weekend in particular was very nasty
where the night time temperatures and humidity were our normal day time
summer conditions and don't get me started on what the days were like
While some roses suffered very badly, most are recovering now and hopefully
will start flowering again soon.

I have reorganised and added some new roses pictures on my yahoo photos
sight for anyone who wishes to take a look. The website is:
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/kirra_lee

The new folders are David Austins, Old Garden Rose, Floribundas, Hybrid T
and Minatures and Polyanthas. I grow a fairly even mix of each of these
groups (though I don't have pictures of them all yet) and am currently
numbering around 110 roses not including the 20 or so cuttings in pots that
I have.

Happy Rose gardening,

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
z10

Old 27-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Sandy

Wow! Your roses are gorgeous! I hope everyone here takes the time to look at
your pictures. How do you do the cuttings? I never tried that. It sounds
like a good idea though. Thanks. Sandy

Old 27-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Stephen

Hi Kirra,

Great pics of the Austin's, I'm trying to grow Austin's in Warrnambool
(Victoria) going ok I think. will send pics if you like.

Cheers
Stephen

Old 29-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Kirra

"Sandy" wrote in message
Wow! Your roses are gorgeous! I hope everyone here takes the time to look

at
your pictures. How do you do the cuttings? I never tried that. It sounds
like a good idea though. Thanks. Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Glad you liked the pictures of my roses. I read the articles on taking
cuttings from the American Rose Society website to get me started. I'm not
sure I've got a good enough success rate yet to advise others. Articles to
have a look at a
http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/propagation/cuttings

And even better with pictures is:
http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/propagation/toolkit

Just remember that is some countries you cannot take cuttings of roses that
currently covered by a patent even if it is for personal use. Generally this
will mean you will need to take cuttings of roses that have been around for
more than 20 years.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
z10

Old 29-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Kirra

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi Kirra,

Great pics of the Austin's, I'm trying to grow Austin's in Warrnambool
(Victoria) going ok I think. will send pics if you like.

Cheers
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Which Austins are you growing? Which ones do you like best? I think I like
all the ones that I am growing

Send me some pics. Just remove the REMOVE THIS from my email address.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
z10

Old 12-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Stephen

Hi Kirra,

Sorry for the delay in replying.......

Did you get the pics ??

If not read on if your game :-)
I'm trying to grow several and definitely having trouble with three of them.
My favourite (at the moment) is Jayne Austin - a fairly rigorous climber in
its 1st full season.

Here's the list with no preference

Sharifa Asma - I lied a little about the preference this used to be the best
rose ever ? I have two- the original grafted which is struggling at the
moment because it only gets the morning sun, but the cutting I took 2-3
seasons ago is doing Very well- the fragrance is delicious.

Sweet Juliet - This rose is about four seasons old. It has struggled a
little since I took it out of its pot an put it on a fence line that gets
full sun all day in a northerly exposure. The roses have been rather small
this season, perhaps because its been very dry and I don't seem to find
enough time to water regularly.

Lilac Rose - Pretty happy with this one even though it only gets morning
sun. Not sure if I like the fragrance though...

Evelyn - Same story as the sweet juliet - perhaps I need to feed and mulch
both before nxt season ?

Abraham Darby - I purchased this rose to climb a pergola (other side to
Jayne) its flowers are wonderful very fragrant... But the stems are very
thin and struggle to support the flower. Its not as rigorous a climber as
Jayne.

Egalatyne-

Heritage -

Mary Rose -

Redoute -

The pilgrim -

Tradescant -

Miss Alice - I thought miss Alice was a 3-4 foot high bush rose but it has
struggled in full sun and hasn't got much bigger than a miniature in its 1st
season

Crocus -

Will fill you in about the rest soon... Must go. She who must be obeyed is
calling (or is it screaming) :-). She being our beautiful 8 month old
daughter called sienna.

I'm a brave man but not stupid :-) The wife (Karen)would have a fit if I
used such terminology towards her. Lol.

Cheers

Stephen

"