Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default F**king Ramblers

Ramblers origins come from Manchester Communists.

Have you ever heard of a commie that can keep his/her mouth shut?

They're a blight on the countryside.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. F**king Ramblers

Angus wrote ...
Ramblers origins come from Manchester Communists.

Have you ever heard of a commie that can keep his/her mouth shut?

They're a blight on the countryside.

I must admit that when I'm out for a quiet walk in the Surrey Hills which
includes watching wildlife etc and come across the usual platoon of
chattering Ramblers which I can usually hear from half a mile away I would
tend to agree with you.
I also don't agree with their philosophy that the countryside must be 100%
for them alone and that they won't share it with anybody else, like 4x4
drivers. But then I also drive a mud covered 1986 Landrover 90 (our mobile
allotment shed!).

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 10-05-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Angus wrote ...
Ramblers origins come from Manchester Communists.

Have you ever heard of a commie that can keep his/her mouth shut?

They're a blight on the countryside.

I must admit that when I'm out for a quiet walk in the Surrey Hills which
includes watching wildlife etc and come across the usual platoon of
chattering Ramblers which I can usually hear from half a mile away I would
tend to agree with you.
I also don't agree with their philosophy that the countryside must be 100%
for them alone and that they won't share it with anybody else, like 4x4
drivers. But then I also drive a mud covered 1986 Landrover 90 (our mobile
allotment shed!).

Being both a walker and a 4X4 owner who occasionally enjoys a trundle around
a few high level unsurfaced county roads and BOAT's I does **** me off that
the ramblers association seems to want all lanes restricted to walkers. They
already enjoy thousands of miles of public footpaths against a miniscule few
hundred miles of vehicle rights of way.

Mike

Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:58:01 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Angus wrote ...
Ramblers origins come from Manchester Communists.

Have you ever heard of a commie that can keep his/her mouth shut?

They're a blight on the countryside.

I must admit that when I'm out for a quiet walk in the Surrey Hills which
includes watching wildlife etc and come across the usual platoon of
chattering Ramblers which I can usually hear from half a mile away I would
tend to agree with you.
I also don't agree with their philosophy that the countryside must be 100%
for them alone and that they won't share it with anybody else, like 4x4
drivers. But then I also drive a mud covered 1986 Landrover 90 (our mobile
allotment shed!).

One as short as that? I've a 110 of the same year :-)

Seriously, these geriatric commies think they own the countryside to
the exclusion of everyone else.

Since the "right to roam" legislation I think they are seem as a band
of militants and their communist background, of which few know about,
adds to that image.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Angus wrote ...
[...]

Whilst OT I'd like to add this...

I had a problem with a group of Ramblers in Cheshire committing what can
only be described as vandalism.

I was in one of my woods repairing a fence and was accosted by a group
purporting to be Ramblers. Harmless enough thinks I. How wrong! An
elderly guy started laying into me about driving my 4x4 on public land.
How wrong, again! My land, public right of way to cross from one side to
the other without stopping or deviating from the marked path. Anyway, he
informed me that I was breaking the law by blocking a badger sett and he
wilfully set about removing the work I had done. Knowing a bit about
badgers I have badger gates on the permanent runs but where the young
boars dig rutting holes I repair the fences. Off they toddle and I make
good the rather pathetic attempt at damaging the fence and drive further
along the track to find the same old guy trying to dislodge an old and
albeit mouldy stile. There is no fence and for the last 25 years folk
have walked around it. Fair play though, they were keeping to the edge
of the wood and these were only the rantings of an old gent who felt he
had a point to prove to his younger wards. Anyway, they break out of the
tree line and proceed to meander across one of my cropped fields
ignoring the path that is waymarked and kept free from crop for them. I
follow in my pickup and get a tirade of abuse for following them and
they threaten to report me to the landowner. "I am he" says I. And they
scuttle off! I checked the Ramblers Association web site as I really
wanted to register my displeasure at this all. And do you know what?

The Ramblers Association advocates the deliberate ignorance of Public
Rights of Way due to the fact that it is unlikely that a land owner will
be able to prosecute anyway. How irresponsible is that? I really
expected a guiding paragraph to all Ramblers along the lines of please
keep the landowners happy since despite the freedom to roam act, there
are bits that plainly belong to somebody else!!!

I generally find the quad bikers and 4x4 drivers to be more friendly
than the Ramblers and the Horsey set. Yes there are ruts but a few weeks
into winter and after a spot of erosion and the ground is flat again.
The quad bikers in my area even offer to make good any real damage they do.

Simon

Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I had a problem with a group of Ramblers in Cheshire committing what can
only be described as vandalism.

Simon

Some "ramblers" decided the style between the busy main road and a public
footpath over one of my fathers fields was too high so they removed a couple
of bars. The first we knew of this was when an anxious motorist knocked on
the door to say he had just narrowly escaped a head on collision with a cow
as he drove around a blind bend - our cows had escaped over what remained of
the style and were strolling along the main road! Lucky nobody was killed!

--
David

Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 May, 21:37, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
Some "ramblers" decided the style between the busy main road and a public
footpath over one of my fathers fields was too high so they removed a couple
of bars. The first we knew of this was when an anxious motorist knocked on
the door to say he had just narrowly escaped a head on collision with a cow
as he drove around a blind bend - our cows had escaped over what remained of
the style and were strolling along the main road! Lucky nobody was killed!

Is this a rehearsal for 'Grumpy Old Men'?! I'm kidding.

I've walked with my family for over 20 years and you know I've never
ever met any Ramblers, or I might have but never really knew they
were. What do they look like? On saturday we did a fantastic walk
between Grasmere and Rydal Water, we started at Elterwater through Low
Wood, Red Bank, Loughrigg Cave and fell, Lanty Scar, down to Loughrigg
tarn, got lost for about an hour and ended at Skelwith Bridge. But a
pub waited for us at 7.30 with a sunset for desert. What a beautiful
Cumbria it was. Don't blame us for wanting to walk. It's so beautiful.

This is my favourite photo of hundreds I've taken, it was a hard
choice.

http://cjoint.com/?fkxx23koSg

Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Angus wrote ...
[...]

The Ramblers Assoc is missnamed, it should really be called The High Speed
Walkers Assoc, as they do NOT 'ramble' they run through the countryside, and
never, ever stop to look at anything around them!

Mike

Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

waterproofs on a sunny day, rucksacks, hairy socks, walking with the help of
Nordic ski sticks ...

Oh dear - whenever I walk on the moor I invariably wear/take a
waterproof as the weather is very changeable - it can be sunny for hours
and then with little warning the mist comes down and it starts to rain.
We always have one rucksack between the two of us containing camera
gear, drinks and a first aid kit which came in very useful a couple of
years ago. I don't think you could describe my socks as hairy, more
heavily textured - merino 'Smartwool' I recommend them to anyone who
does any distance walking or over difficult terrain. I use my camera
monopod as a stick when necessary but my slightly better half does use a
pole when walking off track - it helps to identify the deep soggy areas
that frequently appear to be harmless until prodded.

We are not into route marches and I have never thought of myself as a
Rambler as we tend to walk to a specific location to have a look at the
landscape and particular archaeological or habitat features - but I
could certainly pass as one based on your description.

--
Robert
Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've walked with my family for over 20 years and you know I've never
ever met any Ramblers, or I might have but never really knew they
were. What do they look like?

A key identifier of a "rambler" rather than people out for a walk enjoying
the countryside, is their "attitude". They could care less for anything
other than what they believe is their God given right to roam freely across
farmland, damaging crops, letting out livestock etc. Out style had been sawn
through to make it easier for them to cross! The average walker or child
vandal doesn't go for walks miles away from towns armed with a hand saw.
They were obviously too bloody minded to consider that the consequence of
their actions could actually kill somebody.

David.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 May, 09:55, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
A key identifier of a "rambler" rather than people out for a walk enjoying
the countryside, is their "attitude". They could care less for anything
other than what they believe is their God given right to roam freely across
farmland, damaging crops, letting out livestock etc. Out style had been sawn
through to make it easier for them to cross! The average walker or child
vandal doesn't go for walks miles away from towns armed with a hand saw.
They were obviously too bloody minded to consider that the consequence of
their actions could actually kill somebody.

I hope these lunatics can be counted on one hand. I've had a look at
the Ramblers Assoc. Looks fairly sane and well organised. There's
14,000 members! Blimey. You've given a disturbing story - and I feel
for you and am sorry for the damage you got. But be reassured to know
that if we see anyone behaving like what you describe, I'll be the
first one to make sure these lunatics are stopped and when we go on
one of our 'adventures' we are always respecting private properties,
never go where we shouldn't go and we step lightly everywhere and
never leave a reminder we've been there.

On another note, how is it going in Normandy?! Managed to get rid of
all the brambles/nettles etc? Any pictures?!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 May, 23:23, Martin wrote:
waterproofs on a sunny day, rucksacks, hairy socks, walking with the help of
Nordic ski sticks ...

Hummm.... they should shave their legs. But come to think of it, we've
seen lots of them. They always break into a whisper after they passed
us. Must be that our hair are too long (and that includes the dogs).
BTW, my father is President of the Nordic Walk Assoc. in France. Isn't
that a coincidence.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
I hope these lunatics can be counted on one hand. I've had a look at
the Ramblers Assoc. Looks fairly sane and well organised. There's
14,000 members!

I'm not labelling all walkers / ramblers the same. I've enjoyed many walks
around the countryside in the UK myself over the years. However, there are a
small portion of idiots on both sides of the fence (no pun intended). I've
seen people buy smallholdings with public footpaths across their land and
the first thing they do is put barbed wire across the styles and attempt to
completely block access. That sort of thing gives land owners a bad name.
Farmers and walkers can all get on together fine provided their is mutual
respect.

On another note, how is it going in Normandy?! Managed to get rid of
all the brambles/nettles etc? Any pictures?!

Things are going well in Normandy. The countryside (lots of hills and
valleys) around here looks a lot like the Cumbrian countryside photo you
posted the link to. The main difference is that here is much greener with
lots of grass and trees rather than heather and sparse grass. I've not
updated the blog for ages. Been too busy with one thing or another.
It is still a fight against all the weeds, they grow faster than I can hoe /
pull / kill them. At the moment I'm getting the upper hand, but it is an
ongoing battle. I'm determined not to let any go to seed this year - that
happened last year in one part of the veg plot and I'm plagued with
thousands of weed seedlings in that area now.

David.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/5/07 12:19, in article ,
"David (Normandy)" wrote:
snip
Things are going well in Normandy. The countryside (lots of hills and
valleys) around here looks a lot like the Cumbrian countryside photo you
posted the link to. The main difference is that here is much greener with
lots of grass and trees rather than heather and sparse grass. I've not
updated the blog for ages. Been too busy with one thing or another.
It is still a fight against all the weeds, they grow faster than I can hoe /
pull / kill them. At the moment I'm getting the upper hand, but it is an
ongoing battle. I'm determined not to let any go to seed this year - that
happened last year in one part of the veg plot and I'm plagued with
thousands of weed seedlings in that area now.

David.

Normandy is very like South Devon which is probably why my old village was
twinned with Trevieres! The Normans themselves commented on it when they
paid return visits to Devon. Cumbria is of course, famous for its lakes,
fells and dramatic landscape. In Devon, the drama is mostly confined to the
moors and the rest is green and lush with steep combes in the north of the
county and more shallow, rolling landscapes in the south.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 May, 12:19, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
Farmers and walkers can all get on together fine provided their is mutual
respect.

True. I've recently seen a disturbing programme called 'The lie of the
land'. I insisted my kids watch it - it was heart breaking how much we
(the consumers) are destroying this beautiful country and a way of
life with our demands. At least I'm reassured that it's not my
demands. I'm carreful and cautious with what I buy, consume and
demand. If only everybody could just wake up and help these poor
farmers. Maybe Gordon will do something about it ....?

Things are going well in Normandy. The countryside (lots of hills and
valleys) around here looks a lot like the Cumbrian countryside photo you
posted the link to. The main difference is that here is much greener with
lots of grass and trees rather than heather and sparse grass. I've not
updated the blog for ages. Been too busy with one thing or another.
It is still a fight against all the weeds, they grow faster than I can hoe /
pull / kill them. At the moment I'm getting the upper hand, but it is an
ongoing battle. I'm determined not to let any go to seed this year - that
happened last year in one part of the veg plot and I'm plagued with
thousands of weed seedlings in that area now.

Oh David, get a goat honestly!! My cousin is getting two ponies for a
bit of land she simply cannot manage. She's not sure they're going to
eat what she doesn't like, but at least they'll tremple the weeds. And
the kids will ride the ponies.