Old 10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Ron

Default Yellowing Leafs

Hello,

This is my first time posting and after doing a quick Google search I
didn't find the anwser that I was looking for, so if this has been
done over and over again, please forgive me.

My 2 sons gave their Mom 4 Rose bushes for Mothers Day this year.
They are Natures Promise Tropicana Rose plants that were bought from
Home Depot. They were transplanted on the following Saturday by my
wife who has always been fairly good with plants (I on the otherhand
can kill a plastic plant ).

When they were transplanted they had nice big and full flowers on them
and they each had at least 2 more buds on them (one of them had 4).

Fast foreward about a month. All of the flowers are gone as are the
buds (only 1 ever opened)) and the leafs are turning yellow and
falling off. I have noticed that there is some new stem growth on 2
of them and it looks like one is starting a bud, but the yellowing and
leaf loss is what I am wondering about.

Here is a link to what the feafas look like.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/174164.jpg

As far a feeding them any plant food or anything like that, I couldn't
tell what my wife has done as I don't know.

Thank you for your time,
Ron
Old 10-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"Ron" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Most roses go through blooming phases.
They bloom wildly, then take a break and
bloom wildly again. So that might not be as
much of a concern as the yellowing leaves.
Buds not opening could be transplant shock
(something many plants go through until
they get established in their new home) or
weather related (e.g. lots of rain).

It's hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like
the rose has a lot of blackspot. That's a fungus
that is common to rose leaves, usually doesn't
kill them but can damage them if extensive.
Blackspot likes wet/humid conditions. There
are various treatments for it, and you (or your
wife) can decide organic or not. Try a google
search on blackspot on roses.

Re feeding: It's usually recommended that you
not feed a rose until it is showing new growth
after planting. How is the watering situation?
Are the roses getting enough water? Most
sources recommend deep watering once weekly,
but I found out the hard way that doesn't work
when roses are planted in raised beds and
temps are into the 100s!

Is there proper drainage? Roses need lots of
water, but their roots don't like standing in
water. You can do an easy soil dampness test
by sticking your finger in the soil about an inch
or two. If it's still really wet, don't water for
awhile. If it's really dry, water.

A good source for general rose information is
www.ars.org Look for the link to "articles"
in the text on the front page. (Harder to find
using the menu on the left.)

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 11-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Ron

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message ...
Re feeding: It's usually recommended that you
not feed a rose until it is showing new growth
after planting. How is the watering situation?
Are the roses getting enough water? Most
sources recommend deep watering once weekly,
but I found out the hard way that doesn't work
when roses are planted in raised beds and
temps are into the 100s!

Is there proper drainage? Roses need lots of
water, but their roots don't like standing in
water. You can do an easy soil dampness test
by sticking your finger in the soil about an inch
or two. If it's still really wet, don't water for
awhile. If it's really dry, water.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Thanks for the reply Gail.

As far a watering, We live in Michigan. The weather here lately has
been almost monsoon. It has rained almost 8.5 inches this past May (a
State record by the way) and it has rained 6 out of the past 10 days
this month. The few days that it hasen't rained it has been in the
mid 90's but like last night it dropped into the lower 50's and it was
rainy and 65 today.

As far as drainage, the bed is on top of an approx. 2 foot hill so I
know that water isn't just standing but I do also know that the wife
is watering all of her plants (how often I don't know).

I will see her this weekend (we work opposit shifts) and ask her some
questions about what she is doing.

thanks again,
Ron
Old 11-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"Ron" wrote
[snip]
As far a watering, We live in Michigan. The weather here

lately has
been almost monsoon. It has rained almost 8.5 inches this

past May (a
State record by the way) and it has rained 6 out of the

past 10 days
this month.

That could well account for the yellowing leaves
and blackspot. I personally wouldn't try
anything heroic (can often make things worse)
but wait until weather dries out/warms up a
bit, and see how the roses do. They're typically
rather hardy (but don't ask me how many I've
killed off!).

The few days that it hasen't rained it has been in the
mid 90's but like last night it dropped into the lower

50's and it was
rainy and 65 today.

As far as drainage, the bed is on top of an approx. 2 foot

hill so I
know that water isn't just standing

Sounds reasonable.

but I do also know that the wife
is watering all of her plants (how often I don't know).

If your soil is the type that holds water well (clay),
it might be she's overwatering a bit.

I will see her this weekend (we work opposit shifts) and

ask her some
questions about what she is doing.

thanks again,
Ron

You're welcome. Good luck!

Gail

Old 24-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Karen

(Ron) wrote in message . com...
Fast foreward about a month. All of the flowers are gone as are the
buds (only 1 ever opened)) and the leafs are turning yellow and
falling off. I have noticed that there is some new stem growth on 2
of them and it looks like one is starting a bud, but the yellowing and
leaf loss is what I am wondering about.

Here is a link to what the feafas look like.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/174164.jpg

As far a feeding them any plant food or anything like that, I couldn't
tell what my wife has done as I don't know.

Thank you for your time,
Ron

I'm a newbie too.

Your rose looks like doesn't have good air circulation. Don't water the leaves.