Old 13-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Shiva

Default S&W Greenhouse Roses

Cass wrote:

Flutterby
Want to tell me more about this one? It isn't a single like Mutabilis,

is it?

It's a single but not like Mutablilis, which is unusual in my mind
because it throws flowers out one at a time. Have you ever seen a spray
on Mutabilis?

Good point! I hadn't noticed this. Mine is full of delicate new red growth
at the moment. It is only in its second year. Very tough, nice mounded
shape.

Anyway, Flutterbye is mostly yellow, tho is has some
peachy tones. And I know nothing else because it is so young. It grows
large enough in SoCal to be grown as a climber. I will grow it as a
shrub.

Meaning you will allow the canes to "fountain" or cascade or whatever I
mean? Or will you peg it?

!Scentimental

!Berries n Cream

I want this.

I'd heard it was weak grower, but I've got the striper bug (I wrote
stripper bug the first time).

Do you have Tropical Sunset? Not the best rose--no SCENT, either--but I
still like it. Blooms yellow and orange, fades to delicious shades of
peach and coral. Only rose I have noticed that ages to a prettier version
of itself.

Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

Mine (an Edmund's bare root from my first batch, 2000 I guess) is
languishing in a pot--looked at it the other day and there are jaunty
little sprigs of new growth all along its cane. Cane, singular. Pathetic
rose. I thought it was just me. A guy at Gardenweb grows a gorgeous one in
Atlanta, I think it is. Huge and full of flowers. In ATLANTA. Even I
shudder to think of what chemicals he must have to use.

I'd a thought Westerland would be your preference. I moved my two 6 x 8
plants this winter, BR'd them. They're leafing out now. That's a huge
rose here, not exactly a climber, more like a floribunda on steroids. I
can't get the canes to bend, so the flowers end up high.

Oooch! I killed Westerland in the overfertilization episode. Along with
Distant Drums, Livin' Easy, Abraham Darby, and some $4 bagged faux
Granadas that deserved to die--and some others I cannot bear to recall. I
might reorder Westerland. It has scent, right?

Old 13-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Cass

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.ceb02e522cf0a3aac7aaa25558b5b62e@104 7517923.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:
Cass wrote:

Flutterby

Anyway, Flutterbye is mostly yellow, tho is has some
peachy tones. And I know nothing else because it is so young. It grows
large enough in SoCal to be grown as a climber. I will grow it as a
shrub.

Meaning you will allow the canes to "fountain" or cascade or whatever I
mean? Or will you peg it?

Mostly meaning I'll see what shape it wants to be and let it grow that
way if it suits me. I somehow have the impression that it is upright,
so I will take special care not to remove lower growth so it doesn't
look bare at the bottom.

I have a rose to peg, but first I have to relocate both roses on either
side of it. What a pain.

Do you have Tropical Sunset? Not the best rose--no SCENT, either--but I
still like it. Blooms yellow and orange, fades to delicious shades of
peach and coral. Only rose I have noticed that ages to a prettier version
of itself.

Okay, now I'm learning to like orange, see, but don't push me too far
too fast. When it comes to color improving with aging, just wait till
you watch Joseph's Coat. Wowsers.

Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

Mine (an Edmund's bare root from my first batch, 2000 I guess) is
languishing in a pot--looked at it the other day and there are jaunty
little sprigs of new growth all along its cane. Cane, singular. Pathetic
rose. I thought it was just me. A guy at Gardenweb grows a gorgeous one in
Atlanta, I think it is. Huge and full of flowers. In ATLANTA. Even I
shudder to think of what chemicals he must have to use.

Yeah, I saw some braggart in Texas with a five footer. Beautiful, and
not the climber either. I wanted to puke. But I thought it might be the
heat. Don't you have hot summers? Or maybe it only likes Baptists?
Clean living? Who knows. It rusts here.

I'd a thought Westerland would be your preference. I moved my two 6 x 8
plants this winter, BR'd them. They're leafing out now. That's a huge
rose here, not exactly a climber, more like a floribunda on steroids. I
can't get the canes to bend, so the flowers end up high.

Oooch! I killed Westerland in the overfertilization episode. Along with
Distant Drums, Livin' Easy, Abraham Darby, and some $4 bagged faux
Granadas that deserved to die--and some others I cannot bear to recall. I
might reorder Westerland. It has scent, right?

Yes....but it's described as...I can't remember the exact name... and
this will ruin it for you forever...the scent of Cutex nail polish
remover. And I'll admit I actually like it, tho it cloys after a
while, big surprise. It's a terrific rose here, just really really
stiff and big - not quite as stiff as Altissimo but just as thorny,
longer basals that will arch almost to the ground and then snap off.
So it really needs some kind of support and can't make it here as a
shrub, not with our wind. I moved my two to a corner when the fence
meets in an "L". And I've seen it in a sheltered garden grown as a
pillar rose where the flowers start on the second story of the building
(a water tank, as I recall), the bottom of the canes bare. No, I have
no idea how they deadhead the thing, but climbing up a ladder and
pruning 12 feet off the ground is not convenient. On a fence, I think I
can secure it enough to keep the canes from breaking off, or that's the
plan.
Old 13-03-2003, 04:56 AM
FOW

I think Scentimental sucks. It gets BIG ! Mine is 5 ft. wide by 5-6 ft tall.
The roses last about 2 days cut. Zone 9. I could put in 2 HT's in for the
size the scentimental get's

"Cass" wrote in message
Shiva wrote:

Cass wrote:

$=have
*=new this year
!=could buy any time

$Baby Grand (2 scheduled for destruction)

Why? If you mentioned this one before, I missed it.

It stands straight up to it's full 10 inch height, not a graceful plant
at all, gets blackspot, doesn't rebloom fast , nothing special about
the bloom color or size. Waste of space. I don't get minis, tho I like
the climbers. I think I need to get Jean Kenneally, tho.

*Outta the Blue
*Distant Drums
*Flutterbye

Want to tell me more about this one? It isn't a single like Mutabilis,

is
it?

It's a single but not like Mutablilis, which is unusual in my mind
because it throws flowers out one at a time. Have you ever seen a spray
on Mutabilis? Anyway, Flutterbye is mostly yellow, tho is has some
peachy tones. And I know nothing else because it is so young. It grows
large enough in SoCal to be grown as a climber. I will grow it as a
shrub.

!Scentimental

Cass, I love this rose. Love, love, love it. Yes it blows fast. That is
why I have three. Good smelling, so beautiful, every bloom is

different--
and the red is cherry-to-burgundy, not orangey at all.

Yeah, I know I want it. When I find it, I will put it on my patio.
Nothing could blow faster than Eugene de Beauharnais, and I put up with
it for color and scent.

!Berries n Cream

I want this.

I'd heard it was weak grower, but I've got the striper bug (I wrote
stripper bug the first time).

!Purple Heart

On next year's list.

Bob Bauer says it's better than Angel Face. Damning by faint praise.
Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

!Autumn Sunset

Want this.

Old 13-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Julie

Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

Mine (an Edmund's bare root from my first batch, 2000 I guess) is
languishing in a pot--looked at it the other day and there are jaunty
little sprigs of new growth all along its cane. Cane, singular. Pathetic
rose. I thought it was just me. A guy at Gardenweb grows a gorgeous one in
Atlanta, I think it is. Huge and full of flowers. In ATLANTA. Even I
shudder to think of what chemicals he must have to use.

Yeah, I saw some braggart in Texas with a five footer. Beautiful, and
not the climber either. I wanted to puke. But I thought it might be the
heat. Don't you have hot summers? Or maybe it only likes Baptists?
Clean living? Who knows. It rusts here.

AF isn't any better here. Had one cane for years and canker for two
years now, but just won't die. It isn't heat that it likes, maybe it
is Baptists, could be clean living, but I doubt it.
As soon as my new roses are ready for the ground this one's going
away. I've wasted to much time and energy on it already.
Old 13-03-2003, 07:08 PM
JimS.

"Julie" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Well, based on these anecdotal experiences, the color pics on
Helpmefind.com that look Lavender; and my patented JimS.T standardized
naming convention, Angel Face is hereby dubbed an ILLPoS. (Insignificant
Little Lavender Piece of S***)

JimS.
Seattle

Old 14-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Shiva

FOW wrote:

I think Scentimental sucks.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

So, what's your favorite rose? Translation: which one doesn't SUCK?

:0)

Old 14-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Shiva

Julie wrote:

AF isn't any better here. Had one cane for years and canker for two
years now, but just won't die. It isn't heat that it likes, maybe it
is Baptists, could be clean living, but I doubt it.
As soon as my new roses are ready for the ground this one's going
away. I've wasted to much time and energy on it already.

Mine has been in the ground, then in a pot, back in the ground, and now is
back in a pot. Something has got to give.

BTW, I am having a hard time getting used to "Julie." I had no idea who
you were until I accidentally clicked on a post! And I was the one who
said, "Oh, good, JULIE, we don't have one of those yet!"

Nice to see you posting.

Old 15-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Unique Too

"Shiva" writes:

Julie wrote:

AF isn't any better here. Had one cane for years and canker for two
years now, but just won't die. It isn't heat that it likes, maybe it
is Baptists, could be clean living, but I doubt it.
As soon as my new roses are ready for the ground this one's going
away. I've wasted to much time and energy on it already.

Mine has been in the ground, then in a pot, back in the ground, and now is
back in a pot. Something has got to give.

I know the feeling. I moved mine thinking it might be the location. But that
didn't help at all. It's going to *give* up its space to a rose that gives me
pleasure .

BTW, I am having a hard time getting used to "Julie." I had no idea who
you were until I accidentally clicked on a post! And I was the one who
said, "Oh, good, JULIE, we don't have one of those yet!"

Hehe. It's Google, you know.

Nice to see you posting.

Thanks.

Free GIS Software, Download Google Earth Maps, Trace & save GPSroute, View & Rectify Raster Images, Edit & make shape files [email protected] Gardening 0 13-10-2008 06:25 PM
Roses in the Greenhouse Motilek Roses 0 19-09-2007 06:06 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM